pronounsshe/any
718written posts
spooky johnsonearned bits
offlinecurrently
spooky johnson
Part of the Furniture
spooky johnson Avatar
they pull the axe out your face and say "was it the boogeyman?"
anyone else here really into reading? or was in the past, can't bc they have so much other stuff to do instead? bc i'm all of those things rolled into one bb. i thought with the new year and everything, it could be kinda fun to discuss books you wanna get to this year. some of mine include:

• the mara dyer trilogy by michelle hodkin
  • the wife between us by greer hendricks & sarah pekkanen
  • sea of rust by c. robert cargill
  • the three body problem by liu cixin
  • the vorrh trilogy by brian catling
  • the stand by stephen king (a reread)

i'm also always looking to hear recommendations, i'm pretty flexible! pls talk to me about books

pronounsShe / Her
79written posts
Chaileo ✧earned bits
offlinecurrently
Chaileo ✧
Chaileo ✧ Avatar
Im just awkwardly here for the templates
The stand is really good I love it, if you haven't read pet sematary you need to
I've been going through and rereading a lot of books I read 2 - 3 years ago, good ole nostalgia. Lightbringer series by brent weeks, and gentleman bastard series by scott lynch
Flowers in the attic by vc andres I've read a half dozen times and is always a good read
fly in the cathedral is for anyone who loves physics / history

I've had time over christmas to read so I've gone through all those but I've ordered a few books from the local library about morals/ethics/philosophy and Im sorta really excited I want to study philosophy in university but I doubt I could get a job with it

I might have a look at the vorrh trilogy, the synopsis looks interesting

0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
Books I've read in 2018 that I'd recommend:

Patrick Rothfuss has the Kingkiller Chronicles, and while its frustrating the true third book isn't out, the first two and the novellas/etc writing he has in the setting is pretty on-point.

Octavian Nothing is a two-book series that really touches on some harsh themes, but the period writing was on point and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The Dragonlance Books by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman are peak fantasy and they have a really good way of making you care about characters, even the villains - I felt sympathy for one of the biggest villains in the setting with how a scene was framed.

local boogeyman
aliasbex, jeepers cats
pronounsshe/any
718written posts
offlinecurrently
spooky johnson
Part of the Furniture
spooky johnson Avatar
omg , i've had the lies of locke lamora on my tbr for some time!! i've heard the whole series is really good. i'm living for all these recs, i'm not super into fantasy so i wouldn't have known where to start lmao

does anyone have goodreads? :eyes:

aliasmori, manon, saki
pronounsshe / her
616written posts
𝚖𝚘𝚛𝚒earned bits
offlinecurrently
𝚖𝚘𝚛𝚒
Part of the Furniture
𝚖𝚘𝚛𝚒 Avatar
i know you see yourself as a fighter. well, i see myself as one, too.

ugh, i've completely slacked on novel reading in 2018 but i'm wanting to pick up again!! esp bc my favorite author has another book coming out in a few months and i've yet to finish the last one ; n;

aside from that though, i purchased two books that i really need to get to.

the first is the guernsey literary and potato peel pie society by mary ann shaffer and annie barrows. i will admit, the netflix adaptation is what originally pulled me to it (hello michiel huisman and lily james), but i refuse to watch it before i actually get through the novel. this is me being strict with myself.

the second is the rules of magic by alice hoffman. it is supposed to be the prequel to practical magic, which is one of my fave movies and fave books. so, i bought it but have yet to get to it. i desperately desperately need to since i love the aunts and want to know so much more about them and the family as a whole.

giving myself the limit of those three, at least, will feel more achievable. but i know i'm just going to catch a glance at a few others and only further grow the pile. for now though, this is what i have in the front of my mind. maybe one day i will read the hundreds waiting for me on my bookshelf.
Army-Crushing Star
pronounsSey/Sem
274written posts
Benetnaschearned bits
offlinecurrently
Benetnasch
Benetnasch Avatar
All my attempts to rp end in failure, so now I'm a solo act.
Limetown and Alice Isn't Dead are two I pre-ordered last year but have yet to read. There's also Nightflyers by GRRM, The Phenomena by Annie Jacobsen, and NOS4A2 by Joe Hill (King's son).

I think I also wanted to read more Toni Morrison; Beloved was excellent. I'd also like to the last three books of the original Dune series. I'd also like to reread The Stand, as it's one of my favorite King books and I'm long overdue.
pronounsShe/Her
63written posts
Abbyearned bits
offlinecurrently
Abby
Abby Avatar
I wanna grab both your shoulders and shake, baby, snap out of it
Yes I have goodreads! I've been really behind when it comes to reading for fun and not for school this past year, but I really want to start again! I have a goodreads list about 150 books long so I have to start cutting into that, anyway. I've had a few in particular in mind:

• Midnight in The Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt
  • Watership Down by Richard Adams
  • Station Eleven by Emily t. John Mandel

Also I really recommend the Conqueror's Saga by Kiersten White- it's been my favorite trilogy for a couple of years now, and she just came out with the final installment last year (it feels weird saying that about 2018) and I have yet to read it!  If you want alternate-historical, anti-heroin, gay romance goodness then this book will be amazing! 

I've never read much of Stephen King's books, but that's all my brother reads! I've seen several of the movies and tv show adaptions like The Stand and Pet Semetary and Misery, and they were soo good they made me just wanna read them all!
last edit on Jan 30, 2019 3:35:48 GMT by Abby
25written posts
macaronearned bits
offlinecurrently
macaron
macaron Avatar
I want to read The three body problem, but I have high expectations for it - and i'm kinda afraid of hating it in the end. For now, my tbr list is:

• The Black God's drum by P. Djeli Clark
  • The Knights of Breton Court by Maurice Broaddus
  • Binti: Home & The night masquerade by Nnedi Okorafor
  • American Hippo by Sarah Gailey

Not exactly a book, but i'd recommend The Xuya universe of Aliette de Bodard. She has written a lot of short stories and three novellas in this universe - which is about chinese and vietnamese galactic empires. Everything is on her website. And In the vanishing palace, her retelling of The Beauty and The Beast inspired by vietnamese tale, is beautiful (also dragon, mysteries, and a lot of feels).
last edit on Feb 3, 2019 9:54:52 GMT by macaron
pronounsshe/her
239written posts
swanskiearned bits
offlinecurrently
swanski
swanski Avatar
To eat or ... to eat ...
I need to finish books that I have started....

Currently in the middle of:
The Once and Future King by T. H. White
Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie
The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart
Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne

One of these days, I'm going to finish them. Which, by the way, I do recommend all of these books. :D
pronounsShe/Her
63written posts
Abbyearned bits
offlinecurrently
Abby
Abby Avatar
oh hey I'm finally reading Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, and I really recommend! I didn't actually realize it was non-fiction before going in, but it reads just like fiction. I'm not that far yet, but just the worldbuilding is so beautiful and funny, and it's even better because it's actually true!
last edit on Feb 21, 2019 5:19:03 GMT by Abby
pronounsshe/her
239written posts
swanskiearned bits
offlinecurrently
swanski
swanski Avatar
To eat or ... to eat ...
Abby Avatar
oh hey I'm finally reading Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, and I really recommend! I didn't actually realize it was non-fiction before going in, but it reads just like fiction. I'm not that far yet, but just the worldbuilding is so beautiful and funny, and it's even better because it's actually true!

OH! I should check that out. I've seen the movie and it's an amazing cast! I totally recommend that. I didn't realize it was nonfiction.
pronounsShe/Her
63written posts
Abbyearned bits
offlinecurrently
Abby
Abby Avatar
swanski Avatar
Abby Avatar
OH! I should check that out. I've seen the movie and it's an amazing cast! I totally recommend that. I didn't realize it was nonfiction.
There's a movie? *GAsP* I have to watch it once I finish now!
local boogeyman
aliasbex, jeepers cats
pronounsshe/any
718written posts
offlinecurrently
spooky johnson
Part of the Furniture
spooky johnson Avatar
, i actually just bought the midnight in the garden of good and evil from the thrift store yesterday! i'm so psyched to read it >B)

edit: would anyone be interested in starting a book club or book discord server with me?
last edit on Feb 24, 2019 14:30:06 GMT by spooky johnson

write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW