write a reply

Social Events

446written posts
wolfeearned bits
offlinecurrently
wolfe
wolfe Avatar
Hello!

Credit to for making me think in the Post a Random Thought thread, because they said they wanted to see more site events with a social focus. This thread is basically me going 'Hey, that sounds good!' but wanting some feedback from people who have ran that type of thing before to hopefully learn a thing or two. I have only run action type events in the past and have found them to be pretty DM-intensive IE you need to as the DM stay on top of it because group threads have a huge tendency to nosedive in activity if you just leave it alone.

Social type events seem a lot more hands-off at least in theory like maybe just set up an event area/premise and let people go wild in it for a while by giving them concrete things to kind of interact with on their own. Ideas of what kind of premises might work or anecdotes from previous experiences with social focused events would be much appreciated, because I like the sound of it but wanted to see if I could get some ideas or best practices generously donated to me by this lovely community before I go at it alone and promptly fall on my face.
last edit on Jul 19, 2019 23:13:51 GMT by wolfe
phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,235written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
at this, the world's end, do we cast off tomorrow~!
honestly, i've tried a good few social events, but i find that social events are actually really hard to run in that interest for them tends to die out really fast, which can be a little annoying if you're intending to have some consequence from it (ie, you're doing a ball and at the end of the ball, it gets crashed by the bad guys).

in terms of event ideas i've done that i've liked best, that would probably be the in-character secret santa i did last winter season. it didn't get a lot of posts in it since a lot of the participants ghosted out or forgot it (myself included), but i honestly had a lot of fun with the premise, and i think it might be cool to try it again. i've also really wanted to try blind dates for valentine's but i always end up chickening out because i'm just. "ho boy what if we get 3 people looking for girls and 20 looking for guys but we have 10 girls and 10 guys, this is gonna be awkward" and i always give people the out of going with their ship partner, which means it's mostly people just wanting a date-type thing so. yeah.

the most "successful" social events i've probably had though have been thread roulettes. they're super low-maintenance since all i have to do is randomize the participants, think of a prompt for them, and drop the thread off. i always hope that it works out but sometimes it doesn't and i just. let it be. i wish i ran them more often tbeh since they're a good way to integrate people and force them out of their bubbles by nudging the rng a little bit, but. i also am lazy so that's a thing.
last edit on Jul 20, 2019 2:22:17 GMT by Kuroya

3,084written posts
Kitten4uearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kitten4u
Part of the Furniture
Kitten4u Avatar
Yeah, I've seen a lot fail just because the interest isn't there. I think it's important to treat social events like you would any other event. That is, there still needs to be some kind of stake or interesting thing for the characters to interact with and clear ways they can affect the outcome of the event. Doesn't necessarily have to be competitive, just something they can actually do, or affect, or change, or would otherwise give characters something to think about.

I know that's a bit vague, but I haven't run too many of these kinds of events myself. Basically, what I'm saying is that a masquerade ball tends to die out, but if you had a random player (on a volunteer basis) be an assassin or something, or people had roles to fill and possibly posted anonymously throughout the whole thing, there might be more happening because it's more than fancy party at that point.
28written posts
Whammychuearned bits
offlinecurrently
Whammychu
Whammychu Avatar
Kitten4u Avatar
Yeah, I've seen a lot fail just because the interest isn't there. I think it's important to treat social events like you would any other event. That is, there still needs to be some kind of stake or interesting thing for the characters to interact with and clear ways they can affect the outcome of the event. Doesn't necessarily have to be competitive, just something they can actually do, or affect, or change, or would otherwise give characters something to think about.

I know that's a bit vague, but I haven't run too many of these kinds of events myself. Basically, what I'm saying is that a masquerade ball tends to die out, but if you had a random player (on a volunteer basis) be an assassin or something, or people had roles to fill and possibly posted anonymously throughout the whole thing, there might be more happening because it's more than fancy party at that point.
This sounds like a murder mystery party, which sounds like an excellent social event idea!

But yeah, as someone whose mostly done slice-of-life-ish events, social events are something I'm familiar with but have frankly never quite done right. I have had luck with blind date events where people randomly paired, but that had the benefit of a group of RPers where most characters were pretty flexible in their orientations. Made things easy to balance out. It was great fun, though, but yeah, interest can die out pretty fast if you don't have:

A) Things to naturally get people interacting beyond whatever little niche they've already got going.
B) Some kind of stakes for the characters (a blind date at least has, you know, potential romantic outcomes).

The biggest danger is really just your event essentially becomes a special flavored board than a full event. Maybe try thinking of ways to integrate it with some potential OOC events as well? Do a prom, have people make, like, playlists and prom decoration things?...I didn't go to prom, so I don't know what they actually do there lol.
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
here comes lovelorn to drop her 2 cents. my qualifications? i like slice of life AND social events and i've been staff for social events when i was younger and they didn't go very well. but hindsight is 20/20 and i've learned from my mistakes !!

foreword: ngl if you don't have a playerbase that likes slice of life social events are probably a no-go unless you specifically hear otherwise from ur members. if ur a dbz site with an emphasis on combat mechanics and pvp and ur members come specifically for that maybe a costume party for the outrageously rich and elite isn't up ur members alley (but maybe it is). i think it's just important to understand ur community's tastes going in!!! also another note before i say anything else - everything here is based on my experience, and thus may be incongruous with yours.

anyway! moving on!

i think it's important to have conflict in any event or some kind of catalyst to get things going in social events, but almost all of the time in my experience its usually a physical kind of conflict - like, villains are crashing the ball, someone started a food fight, etcetera. imo i don't really consider events like that - ones that erupt in action towards the end? - as purely social threads. im not rly a social thread purist or anything but i just wanted to provide some food 4 thought and some context to my next statements.

i think in social threads emotional conflict is really important and what really makes them interesting to me rather than physical conflict, and i think rpers are less - imo - inclined to...write people being mean or not getting along to/with each other if their character isn't intentionally meant to be mean or not get along well with others, which is where i think staff come in? i think staff involvement is super important in every event, but i think staff actually posting in threads and participating in events thru npcs or chosen characters or just [omnipresent narrator voices] is REALLY integral in creating interesting situations in situations like that - where rpers don't have their own conflict in their threads, and their characters are just going, "yo, what's up with your life, characterb?" and "not much, character a, hbu?" back and forth, which, coincidentally, is what i think kills social events.

but getting back on topic: here are a few examples! say there's a board for a "beach cleanup" event and the admin jumps into one of ur threads and rps this annoying highschool kid that goes around throwing trash onto the beach right as you clean sections up. maybe you're rping in a fantasy historical world and ur rping some daughter of a duchess at a debuante ball except the staff make all the rich ladies laugh at your character's dress and now ur character is humiliated and flees into a corner and the rich ladies now gossip to the rest of the characters still in the main hall abt how ugly ur character looked. make rpers make choices! make them confront negative emotions!

with social events, too, i think there's a lack of...like...variation in ridiculousness. either nothing is happening out of the tea party at the town hall, and everything is idyllic, or people are rioting outside and throwing stones and the villains want to destroy the building while ur partying inside. personally, i'd like to see stuff in-between: like a woman who starts screaming her head off about her girlfriend cheating on her and accusing a random bunch of characters of being the one that her significant other cheated with, or someone spikes the punch at the highschool grad dance with way too much alcohol and the teachers found out.

i also think its really important to take advantage of the nature of a social event too. social events mean that ALMOST EVERYONE is in one place (if people participate!), which is something that rarely happens ever, since threads are usually 1on1 or in isolated situations where 1 character meets another, with only npcs around them. it'd be cool if staff encouraged larger groups of characters to interact with each other, or characters to interact with people different from those they initially were talking to: like maybe c and d are talking, and [staff npc] wrenches c's drink out of their hand to throw it at a from where they're hanging onto b's arm. now c, d, a, and b have something else to respond to other than their conversations, and something out of the norm is presented. since lots of people are in one area, it's probably much more crowded, so if someone pushes f or g, maybe h falls over too.

overall, though, i think it's important to have something that makes your social event unique. if it's a party, why should your members post in it instead of just making a 1on1 closed thread where they say their characters are at a huge party and are interacting? if it's a pet adoption event, why can't my character just go to the animal shelter with their mom? 

tl;dr / comprehensible version: it'd be nice to have action in social event threads that were more in line of "theres a hysterical man crying about the state of his tuxedo on the balcony" rather than "pew pew pew" !! even though pew pew pew threads can be fun in their own right
last edit on Jul 20, 2019 19:57:38 GMT by Deleted