phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,232written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
at this, the world's end, do we cast off tomorrow~!
i've been looking for a new series to pick up now that i'm done reading through the political books in the house and am in the pit of waiting for another got book, but i really wanna try to find some nice good quality things to get from the library (but i also kind of don't want to ask a librarian since oops i live in the deep south so i am not sure how likely a librarian would be to know of a rec / not give me an odd look at the specificity of it), so uh.

i really like romance stuff, so that's a good, and i guess i'll narrow it down a little bit to something that's got some modern fantasy / high fantasy / supernatural feels (i'm not super picky, i just like worlds where it's not just humans kicking around). ideally i'd love something that has the main pairing be a gay couple (preferably where one doesn't die or where there's not a huge dramatic angst fest over their sexuality), but i have no idea how feasible that's gonna be?

like i guess to make it a lot easier to sum up what i'm wanting - i'd want something kind of in the vein of if alec and magnus from shadowhunters had their own book, without any of the boiling down alec to his gayness or there being a huge thing over magnus sleeping with other people. but i'd take something with a heterosexual pairing if it's pretty wholesome, i've read a lot of those "young adult teen vampire romance novels" (like i loved the night world series and the vampire academy one wasn't terribad) and i kind of miss some of the better ship dynamics in there even if i got bored with some of the storylines.

or i guess on the other side of it, if i was on ao3, i'd be checking mlm main pairing, no main character death, supernatural elements, all ratings, and then filtering out things like "all hurt little comfort" or cheating plotlines and being picky on abuse plotlines or "love triangles" and stuff like that.

so yeah uh. recs please?
last edit on Aug 5, 2019 15:43:29 GMT by Kuroya

aliasdismay
pronounsshe/her
445written posts
fossaearned bits
offlinecurrently
fossa
fossa Avatar
he's suppose to be DEAD
the raven cycle series by maggie stiefvater is fab. absolutely fell in love with it. 10/10 blue's a weak protagonist imo (just as in underwhelming as a character) but the other characters more than make up for her shortcomings.

his dark materials series is also a big rec from me if you haven't checked it out yet

that's all i can think of atm because i dont really read too much anymore ):
phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,232written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
at this, the world's end, do we cast off tomorrow~!
i've read his dark materials years ago, and i liked it a lot (i still have the big book of all three of them and it's one of the few i'm actually debating keeping when we move because i wanna get rid of a lot of my books that i just don't read).

i've not read the raven cycle, but i'll add it to the list (especially since a quick google seems to indicate that it does have a gay character in it, which i'd love since like i said, i really loved alec and magnus' relationship in shadowhunters).

i'm definitely up for hearing a ton more requests though! if i'm waiting 10 years for another got book, i defs want some nice things to read in the meantime, and i do way too much fanfiction reading to have any sort of clue what directions to go in (and i don't wanna just go into the library and start picking at random in the hopes of finding something that works).

aliasdismay
pronounsshe/her
445written posts
fossaearned bits
offlinecurrently
fossa
fossa Avatar
he's suppose to be DEAD
tbh i think one of the easiest things to do is to pick authors you like

then google similar authors to them

if you havent yet good omens is also a great read and super funny

terry pratchett also has like 90 million books in his discworld series and i hear those rare good too