pronounsShe/They
688written posts
CELearned bits
offlinecurrently
CEL
Part of the Furniture
CEL Avatar
mankind, be vigilant; we loved you.
So! As I've put up in the Quick Interest Checks, I'm planning on making a site using the lore and plot of a story I had planned before. However, I'm not well-versed in proper site creation (though I do have experience in plotting and roleplay management). Aside from this, I cannot say I have the most amount of time to devote to this project by myself, given I have university and other workload. But, I'm still very keen on having this site work, which is why I'm looking here!

I will be needing some staff who are willing to do code and assist in proof-editing lore, as well as other site management. We already have a bunch of graphics set up, and I do have clear ideas of the lore itself, though it could use expansion. What I'm looking for is more people in our crew to help make this site the best it could possibly be.

It will be a ProBoards site, given my inexperience with JCink's panel, and PB's accessibility to newcomers. But, I am open to moving the site to JCink should any possible staffers have more experience in handling the panel. Right now, we also are just going to primarily use free resource codes from here and from other sites, though if someone is willing to provide templates or code such, feel free to shoot me a message!

Now, for the concept:
  • The site will be an original animanga steampunk / gaslamp fantasy site, set in Earth, but also not quite.
  • There are various schools of magic available for characters and NPCs, but with a twist!
  • Magic in this Earth follows equivalent exchange, where one must give something of "equal value" to utilize it. Most of this is taken from the individuals themselves, resulting in interesting blends of possible body horror (within PB's TOS) and other setbacks. For instance, characters who dabble in fire magic may notice their fingers charred, their skin hot to the touch. Characters who attempt healing magic may only be capable of transferring wounds and damages - whether it be to themselves or to another form of life.
  • The main setting of the site would be a Sky City ruled by a tyrant king (an open canon, no less!) who has brought about an era of mage slavery. While magic itself is not banned, those who practice are considered "lesser" or "servants" to the law, to those incapable of utilizing it, and etc.
  • There are rumors of a mage rebellion brewing, one that intends on overthrowing the nobility and the king. A rebellion that is rumored to be lead by a man considered to be blessed by the gods of this world, no less.
  • The main religion of this world takes nods from Arthurian lore. Deities are inspired from those such as Merlin, King Arthur, the Lady of the Lake, Morgan le Fay and other such notable figures. Excalibur and the Lake also play prominent roles.
  • There will be no systems. If only for my own sanity.

The concept itself is inspired from other media, such as Fullmetal Alchemist, The Red Queen, Avatar: The Legend of Aang, Avatar: The Legend of Korra, Dragon Age, Mistborn as well as a bit of Horizon: Zero Dawn. It's essentially a love letter to the steampunk, fantasy and dystopian genres.

If you're intrigued by all this, feel free to send me a message or drop a comment here! I'd love to hear what other people think, and if you would like to extend help - all the more! We already have a Discord server running up, and the actual site, but the whole thing is still heavily a work-in-progress.
last edit on Sept 23, 2019 17:51:58 GMT by CEL

coming soon.
pronounsThey/Them
544written posts
Coyoteearned bits
offlinecurrently
Coyote
Part of the Furniture
Coyote Avatar
OH MAN SIGN ME UP? I adore the idea of equivalent exchange magic, and steampunk/gaslamp fantasy is so my jam! Is this site gonna be human only or are you planning to utilize other fantasy races? It's 100% not a dealbreaker I was just genuinely curious! :D
the narrative
aliasCel, Nightlock
pronounsShe/They
688written posts
CELearned bits
offlinecurrently
CEL
Part of the Furniture
CEL Avatar
mankind, be vigilant; we loved you.
Coyote Avatar
OH MAN SIGN ME UP? I adore the idea of equivalent exchange magic, and steampunk/gaslamp fantasy is so my jam! Is this site gonna be human only or are you planning to utilize other fantasy races? It's 100% not a dealbreaker I was just genuinely curious! :D

Humans are planned to be the "predominant" race, with mages treated as their own separate race as well. I am considering taking cues from The Alchemists of Loom and Mistborn by maybe making other races that don't particularly exist in standard fantasy! (So, stuff like the chimera from AoL, the kandra from Mistborn and the homunculi from FMA.) Though, that idea isn't completely set in stone yet, it's very possible! Thanks for showing interest! 😄

coming soon.
3,083written posts
Kitten4uearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kitten4u
Part of the Furniture
Kitten4u Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","infoBG"]
[attr="class","infoBG2"]
[attr="class","infoBack"]
[attr="class","infoTitle"][attr="class","fa fa-star-o"] threadarchived
[attr="class","infoDiv"]

[attr="class","infoBody"]

To keep the forum clean and so people know that all threads in certain areas are current and that the OP is likely to still have interest, we archive threads that haven't gotten posts for 2 weeks. This thread is being archived for that reason. If you would like this thread reopened, contact a staff member.