[IC] In A Single Bound: Super Hero Faction RP

pronounshe/him/his
145written posts
kewkewearned bits
offlinecurrently
kewkew
kewkew Avatar

Hey everyone, KewKew coming at you with an interest check/staff search for a site concept I’ve been toying around with- A Single Bound. If I were to give it a single line pitch it would be a faction based superhero roleplay with table top elements. Sound appealing? Then please read on and see if you wouldn’t be interested in jumping in?

Basics: animanga/western art FC, proboards, no stats, currency + perk system, player v world

Setting/Story
Around 50 years ago, people began to manifest abilities beyond the norms. Some found their bodies changing and mutating, granting them super powers. Others learned to harness the energy of the world around them, becoming users of magic. With this Advent, however, came monstrosities bearing the same powers to threaten humanity. And so the Age of Heroes began, as people used their skills to protect against these threats, and those who would use their powers to harm.

Everyone knows about the Advent that occurred 35 years ago. Signaled by the touchdown of not one, but two meteors on either end of the planet, the resulting fallout was streaks of light enveloping the planet. In an instant, the world was thrust into a new normal. A new phenomenon had become disturbingly normal. Monsters began to spawn, natural disasters grew in frequency, and humanity was in jeopardy. Thankfully, the Advent also brought with it the Spark. The hypothetical and poorly understood source of superpowers and magic, individuals throughout history have harnessed the spark in different ways. While some use them to subjugate and terrorize, this was the start of the Age of Heroes.

Fast forward to today, and the metropolis of Union City, for some reason, it finds itself the frequent setting for monster attacks and villainy. Thankfully, the League has stepped in, creating a branch in Union. Young recruits can benefit from their support as they begin their careers in heroics. Seeking to band the different types of heroes together, the League maintains three distinct but cooperating branches- the Mighty, the Magical, and the Masked. While ostensibly working together, it's no secret the three factions compete to become the most prominent in the public eye, if not for that sweet sweet League funding, then for the bragging rights- a rivalry that is definitely supported by it’s staff and heads. Not everyone is here to save the day, and even Villains have some influence on the world. In fact, Union City’s different areas usually can be swayed and geared towards specific factions, granting different perks and benefits.

Gameplay
In terms of setting and story, we’re aiming for a more comic book/saturday morning cartoon kind of setting. The idea is to win over different areas of Union City in order to change the setting to favor your faction, with the achievements of different OCs allowing more influence to develop for their branch. Otherwise, status quo is god, allowing for self contained stories using the setting for people in their own personal threads.

In terms of character designs, we’re going to lean away from stats or great mechanical management of abilities and powers. The in-story super powers granted to characters are just that, since the world is actually better impacted by the story perks of each class. This is where the table top aspect comes in. Each faction has access to a different set of perks unique to them that allow a character to influence the world in different ways. These can be used to introduce new aspects to a character’s kit. During storyline and event threads, these perks can even turn the tide of a storyline. If you’ve ever played a story based table top, these are similar to things like Fate Points or “Moves” that can sway the narrative. This is entirely optional in personal stories, but can be fun to use. The goal is to have a system for roleplaying that can be fun and customizable, but not vital if one wants to just craft their own storylines within the setting. It’s a balance between the ‘role play’ and ‘game’ part of the site.

Some member groups/factions, with examples of what would be specific for that faction-

The Mighty are those heroes who have found themselves changed by the Spark in some way. Their bodies become superhuman in some way, granting them great physical feats and new powers. Inspirations include characters like Superman, Goku and the shounen hero genre.

Power Mode:

“And this? This isn’t even my final form.”

Once per Adventure, the character is able to enter a temporary state that greatly amplifies their abilities for a certain amount of time.

The Magical branch takes in heroes who have harnessed the Spark in a different way. As a rule, these heroes have received the ability to transform into a magical form in order to fight crime.This would refer to characters like Zatanna, Sailor Moon, and the shoujo magical girl genre.

Glamourous

“Who? I don’t even know her.”

The innate ability to use magic to disguise yourself. Maybe it’s your hair, your new outfit, or just luck, but you’re able to maintain your secret identity against any one attempt to unmask you.

The Masked are the third branch of heroes. Some people choose to become heroes, even without the benefit of superpowers. Funding is important, and this the League covers, and they use their resources to develop technology, undergo training, and arm themselves in any other way.These are the Batman, Light Yagami, and the Iron Man’s of the world.
Sweet Ride
“You can’t even afford to drive it.”
The League has funded you with the schematics for your own personalized thematic vehicle. No larger than a sports car, this vehicle comes outfitted with specialized weapons, state of the art AI, and a really poor fuel efficiency. Summon it once per adventure.

I hope that gives something of an idea of what we’re trying to do. None of this is final, but the ultimate goal is to create a setting where players can easily use the system to DM their own adventure, and provide a fun world setting that’s not turning character design into an arms race. If you’re interested in the idea, gotta any thoughts, wanna help out in some way- great! You can post here, DM me, or hit up my discord at KewKew#3947. There's also a STAFF SEARCH right here.

Thanks for checking this out, bye!
last edit on Oct 1, 2019 17:21:50 GMT by kewkew
375written posts
watcherearned bits
offlinecurrently
watcher
watcher Avatar
I'm guessing the Masked cover tech-based heroes, then? How about cyborgs or biologically-enhanced people?

I think I might have a couple of characters that could work with this setting... well, if an electronics-possessing ghost (Mighty?) and an avatar of justice (Magical?) aren't too much.
last edit on Oct 1, 2019 7:07:52 GMT by watcher
pronounshe/him/his
145written posts
kewkewearned bits
offlinecurrently
kewkew
kewkew Avatar
watcher Avatar
I'm guessing the Masked cover tech-based heroes, then? How about cyborgs or biologically-enhanced people?

I think I might have a couple of characters that could work with this setting... well, if an electronics-possessing ghost (Mighty?) and an avatar of justice (Magical?) aren't too much.
You guessed right, yep. The factions are more divided by the source of their abilities than anything, so if it's coming from feasible human enhancement it would fall into Masked. The good thing is none of these lines are hard and fast, so you could feasibly create a variety of characters. Both examples you made are some more complex version of it, but I think it can work out.

The idea is to provide a lot of room for instory expression, while leaving perks as an external 'meta' aspect. They cover more ways each specifically can impact a story, for example, rather than the nitty gritty details of how. For example, your ghost can come with a perk allowing them to mess with the immediate environment for an advantage- for them, it can be written as them hacking local computers, while another character may write it out in some other way.
375written posts
watcherearned bits
offlinecurrently
watcher
watcher Avatar
Sounds promising, then, although I realize that if powers only came 50 years ago I probably can't make my avatar of justice trace her powers back to Greek Mythology... might want to tweak some things XD

Good luck with getting this up! Unfortunately I don't think I'm suited to be staff, but I'll give it a stab once it's open.
pronounshe/him/his
145written posts
kewkewearned bits
offlinecurrently
kewkew
kewkew Avatar
Update: Thanks for everyone's interest! Still moving forward with this bit by bit! if you've sent me a friend request on discord please please resend it or just go straight to DM! The mobile app makes it very easy to accidentally deny friend request accidentally with no way to make sure you don't while trying to check other things first... Great design discord, just real good job
last edit on Oct 6, 2019 10:56:43 GMT by kewkew
3,084written posts
Kitten4uearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kitten4u
Part of the Furniture
Kitten4u Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","infoBG"]
[attr="class","infoBG2"]
[attr="class","infoBack"]
[attr="class","infoTitle"][attr="class","fa fa-star-o"] threadarchived
[attr="class","infoDiv"]

[attr="class","infoBody"]

To keep the forum clean and so people know that all threads in certain areas are current and that the OP is likely to still have interest, we archive threads that haven't gotten posts for 2 weeks. This thread is being archived for that reason. If you would like this thread reopened, contact a staff member.