PAID SITE AD ADJUSTMENTS

839written posts
SPIRELEearned bits
offlinecurrently
SPIRELE
Part of the Furniture
SPIRELE Avatar
There are 5 advertising spots at the top of the site and I feel like they are rarely used to full capacity.

To maximize exposure to other sites to help promote activity and growth within the Animanga Roleplay Community, I think it would be beneficial to adjust how paid ads are currently done. Here are a variety of suggestions that would help put that space to use. This is also out of the assumption that site exposure within the Animanga Roleplay Community is the main purpose of the spots rather than an added perk to stimulate activity on Pixel Perfect:

• Make spots cheaper to purchase. (I would like to buy spots for other sites that I like but am not a member of but I need to reserve currency to ensure I can consistently purchase ads for the site I'm on.)
  • Offer a free ad spots voucher for new sites that have opened that can be redeemed when there is empty ad space.
  • Keep advertisements up until someone else buys up that spot. (Your ad will expire on XX/XX, when someone else buys that slot your ad will be removed for theirs. In the event that no one buys that ad spot, the previous ad will remain.)
  • Change currency to apply to all boards.
  • Award empty ad spaces to random active sites when applicable. 

I figure this will help those looking for new sites instead of having to comb through recent posts or relying on the signatures of frequent posters. 

phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,235written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
at this, the world's end, do we cast off tomorrow~!
i just have kind of. four thoughts to add to spiral's thing i guess.

1) i'm a little leery of offering free vouchers for "newer" sites since like... i honestly don't think there's a way to do this entirely fairly since for example, there's a lot of "brand new" sites that open up with more members than some of the more "established" sites that might be struggling, and imo, it seems a little off that the extra visibility would be going to the site that needs it less, so to speak, but regardless, i don't think there's going to be a way to set down restrictions on who'd be eligible for it in a way that would make everyone happy. (and the same thing would go for random picks of active sites since, again, i don't think there's a way to do it that would avoid people getting butthurt over it).

2) i will second the thought of keeping ads up until someone else buys the spot thought, but not for the big ad since imo rn it does get bought fairly often (and is generally the more popular option) and it tends to keep a waiting list fairly often. however, i think it might be a good idea to turn the affiliates where you get 1 week guaranteed advertising, and then after that you can get pushed out if someone buys that fifth slot or if your aff has been up there for, idk, a month because that's 4+ weeks so that's a good bit of advertising. (and maybe you can put a cooldown on it if they're booted out for the 4 week thing since, again, that's a lot of advertising).

3) i'd actually really like to see vouchers go in for like. participating in coding bingos or graphics bingos or writing prompt bingos. maybe do it where there's a few that are around permanently where you have to finish more prompts to unlock a voucher (just because these bingos are always available) versus the events like the summer bingo where you need to do less to get the vouchers (again, because they're only temporarily available).

4) i guess you could also do something where like. members can nominate a site to be featured in one of those slots (maybe based on themes, like "running a halloween event" or "staffed by one person" the way the 'd does their members' choice), but i'm even a little leery of that since i don't want it to turn into a popularity contest or something where people who don't get their site picked get butthurt about it either, so honestly, this runs into the same problem that thought #1 did.

like honestly i've always considered the ad directory or animagads to be a better source for finding new sites compared to the ad spots on pixel perfect, the ad spots are just. nice for if you wanna have some more visibility on one of the keystone resources for animanga, if that makes sense. (honestly, i'd be more curious for anyone with google analytics whether having a paid ad spot on pixel perfect actually resulted in more traffic or not and how much of that traffic was actual potential members versus people dropping ads, but that's just the meta-analysis nerd in me.)
last edit on Oct 23, 2019 23:16:48 GMT by Kuroya

the endless hunt
aliasleto, blobert, crow
pronounshe / they
1,370written posts
ullaearned bits
offlinecurrently
ulla
Administrator
ulla Avatar
in turning divine, we tangle endlessly

staff are in the process of discussing these suggestions! thank you both for you input and you can expect an official response from one of us in the next day or so ouob
the endless hunt
aliasleto, blobert, crow
pronounshe / they
1,370written posts
ullaearned bits
offlinecurrently
ulla
Administrator
ulla Avatar
in turning divine, we tangle endlessly

once again i'd like to thank the two of you for bringing your suggestions to us, and to those of you that reached out to us behind the scenes about this topic as well. staff have discussed everything that's been brought to the table regarding our current system of how we run the paid advertisement and affiliates and we've decided on a few changes. until the end of the year, the following policies will be implemented on a trial run:

• paid affiliates will now be permanent until bumped off. instead of these positions only being available in one week intervals, upon purchase, the button will now have a one week minimum guaranteed time in the header. after that, if another affiliate position should be bought, current ones will be taken down (in order of oldest to newest). hopefully, this will encourage the purchasing of these positions more often, and - at the very least - they won't be empty spaces 80% of the time.

• brand new sites will be able to qualify for a "new site discount" for the paid space to encourage the promotion of the newest faces on the block and make them more easily accessible for communities just getting their feet wet. 

the intricate details on both of these policy updates will be reflected in the site shop later today following an official site announcement so that everyone is aware of them.

in regards to the other potential changes brought up, staff don't feel that reducing the raw prices of these shop items, or making bits earnable on every single board, is a change that we're looking to make right now. as it stands, none of the items are that relatively expensive on their own, and the intention of earning bits in the first place is that they should be going to members of the community who are proactive in participating in said community. to make either of these things easier to earn would devalue it, and similar commodities on other resource sites tends to be a lot more difficult to purchase to begin with. 

while we can understand, sympathize, and appreciate the desire to want to help out sites and/or friends by purchasing ad space for them, we don't feel that this is grounds to completely change the way that the economic system on pixel perfect currently works. 

as for offering vouchers for ad space as awards in events, that's something that we're considering as an option for individuals in future site events (and something that had been offered in a past event that was run). moving forward, we'll consider this as a possibility. 

additionally, while the idea of awarding empty space to a random site when applicable is a nice one that would keep empty space from ever occurring, it's not one that staff feel can be run in a completely unbiased/fair manner. try as we might, we're human. we're hoping that the increased incentive to purchase affiliate space, as well as the discount offered to new sites, will decrease the net time that there are empty spots. 

ultimately, we as the staff team want to keep the system running in a manner that will still be manageable for us, as we all have lives outside of moderating this forum and many of us have our own sites on top of that. we're hoping that these two new policies that we're putting into play will help to solve some of the issues brought up here, while still being something that we can stay on top of. as mentioned previously, this is going to be a trial period, and staff will reassess how it's going at the end of the year to see if there are any changes that need to be made. 

keep your eyes open for that site announcement later today B )

the announcement has been posted, and so this thread will be locked and archived into the resolved board!
last edit on Oct 25, 2019 1:38:55 GMT by ulla