[IC] Isekai Roleplay w/ Randomized Character Creation

28written posts
Whammychuearned bits
offlinecurrently
Whammychu
Whammychu Avatar
So, since it's gotten some hits in "Sites I Want to See" and my post for "Quick Interest Check" was getting long, might as well take a shot at being able to drag myself to making this idea a bit more of a reality:

Central concept is an isekai-styled setting (person ends up in another world blah blah) but I want to play with one of the things not played with a lot in the power-fantasy kind of driven set-up most animes tend to take it: transformations. Sure, they tend to maybe discuss things like maybe a change in class, but there's so much other stuff that could be played with, especially regarding fantasy species, gender, etc. Like, going from a human to an elf is very "Meh", but human towards something like dragonborn (not Skyrim), a beastfolk, stuff like that would be a pretty big change, and the ability of this kind of set up to explore concepts of gender identity and fluidity is usually glossed over.

The main sort of hook for the site that I thought of that would really let this idea of adjusting to a new life, no matter how widely it diverged from your old one, is that much of the character sheet is "randomized" for your "new life". However, you as a player  get to pick a few things to set it in stone as you wish, but not enough to have complete control over what you end up being. I think that brings up interesting questions for the players, too: what are the most important things to your character? Obviously the character's past history and personality are up to the player, and age probably can carry over (discuss below), but things like species, gender, background, etc. could all be up in the air.

So, just going to split this up into a few things to discuss:

Setting

Most isekai tend to be set in a fantasy setting, maybe throw in some light RPG elements (also discussed below), but nothing about this idea requires a fantasy setting. Technically sci-fi could work (alien species are still species), but my preference is a bit more towards the fantasy setting. Presuming players are from a relatively "present" time, that change to a more fantasy setting is just another hurdle to adjust. Or we could shake things up a bit and have them in a modern fantasy setting. I'm flexible on both, really. The main advantage of doing fantasy over sci-fi is the scale can be kept kind of small (one kingdom or city or whatever) while still also having a variety of races to really get to play around with the transformation idea a bit.

Edit: So, someone over at RPG-Directory had a suggestion on the setting that inspired a potental site plot if we do this sort of mixture of fantasy/sci-fi. Below is their comment and my response.

This looks like a ton of fun! I think the concept could be very interesting and offer wild development. Oddly enough I would perfer to see the Scifi route. If you still want to keep it relatively small, contain the characters on a city-size satellite station. It could be a ton of fun to throw in some Twilight Zone feels. Ie, you wake up on/in this city, everyone seems so mind-numbingly normal (imagine if everyone on the station was synthetic / artificial, and only the player characters were organic), but the player characters are not only new to their bodies, but have no idea about the station. Daily life + some mystery if they ever wanna explore what happened to the other organics that were here before them.

Yeah, but then I'd have to actually write that mystery out, and that's a lot of work lol. I kind of wanted more slice of life so the emphasis was on more the new body and world over some broader overarching plotline (I have never been good at keeping up big, site-wide plots). At the same time, a sort of "The Good Place" type unsettledness would probably help keep people a little more invested.

....actually, The Good Place does sort of provide a potential opening idea ie that this "station" is some sort of experiment dealing with the afterlife and stuff (in this case potentially they've messed up as they're pulling consciousness from a different world, not their own, but keep at it cause that's even more interesting), hence being a highly controlled environment where all non-PCs are basically Janets.

Genre

Since my interest is primarily in having players deal with their characters setting up new lives that are widely divergent from their own, I'm kind of more interested in doing a more slice-of-life deal than a high fantasy dungeons-and-dragons kind of deal. Sure, some elements of that can be included (I mean, if you woke up with giant fangs you might be interested in giving a try), but focusing on raids or quests and adventures feels kind of distracting from what I had in mind. This feels less of an issue in a modern fantasy setting, where I guess the tone would be almost more like Beastars, perhaps, in terms of world-building (oh god I will need help with world building).

Character Creation

Players would be given full control over personality and past lives of their characters, but their new lives would be up to chance, basically. The main things to work out is how much is randomized. With a fantasy setting, species is an easy one: could end up a human, or maybe an elf, beastfolk, whatever! Gender is a harder one since hard-set male/female binary isn't quite a "thing" (I mean, part of the point of this would be to explore gender identity after all) and all the politics of the real world surrounding these issues, but I still think there is a value in exploring stuff like this. I'm just aware it'd be the trickiest one to probably present and discuss (note: I would not have orientation be a part of the randomization but leave that as something for characters to explore on their own).

Background might also be a tricky one, but more in the work for it. My thought was to have a database of general "prompts" for character backgrounds and give players at least some leeway in generating how their character fits into the world (I am assuming that their age would carry over, leading to a sort of mixture of their old lives and "new" lives being intertwined in their memories) as long as they don't stray too far from it (like, if they got "born into a low-income family, they obviously can't write "then I won the lottery" or something).

RPG Elements

If we were to include RPG-elements, I'd want them to be relatively light. To that end, something like Dungeon Worlds (a Powered by the Apocalypse -based system) would be my preference. It's more developed towards interactive story-telling and has less in the way of dice and stats: you have moves that represent "things you can do", roll 2d6+modifiers, and you can get a fail, mixed success (you do what you want but at a cost), or you succeed. In theory it should be more streamlined, and would work really well I think for this kind of deal. Best thing is the system is pretty flexible (lots of settings, books, etc. covering everything from Cthulu to super-heroes, and even a Twilight inspired one) that an original system can be developed as time goes on.

If developed, however, would need "playbooks" representing different classes (ex: in Dungeon World thieves have a "move" representing the ability to pick locks) , and each species developed would probably need some unique moves (ex: in a Dungeon World campaign I have a lizardfolk character that uses some moves from a third party "Reptilian" playbook to represent things like attacking or using the tail like a third limb). So there's a lot of additional work that would be needed that I don't think is necessary but is an option if people want to go more classic "trapped in another world that just happens to have RPG mechanics" deal.
last edit on Dec 9, 2019 23:17:13 GMT by Whammychu
28written posts
Whammychuearned bits
offlinecurrently
Whammychu
Whammychu Avatar
So the randomized character creation was mostly my way to try and think of how to incorporate the theme of learning to deal with a radically different life in a way that I thought would be interesting and a bit of a gimmick to help with getting site interest. Like I said, I think it would be interesting to ask players to, essentially, develop a fully fledged character (Their pre-isekaid life) and then ask "and what is the most important part of that character?" when presented with "what part of their new lives are you going to leave to chance?".

If full randomization is really that off-putting, then maybe a points system or something might work. Point is, I think asking players to make that trade-off would be really interesting and would, mechanically, nudge them towards really playing with really divergent lives for their characters.
pronounsHe/Him
36written posts
slyearned bits
offlinecurrently
sly
sly Avatar
I personally like the randomization because I'm a sucker for gimmicks. But I'm not shocked if someone isn't interested in the concept. Randomizing your own character is essentially giving up some control over them. And some people feel uncomfortable about that, especially if they prefer to role play as a certain gender or sexuality. It's one of the reasons why character randomization tables aren't popular with tabletop role playing like D&D. It's a rather fun idea that unfortunately has kind of a niche audience.

A possible solution may be to give the play some control back by introducing the concept of re-rolls. If a person can keep re-rolling until they get something they're comfortable with then they may be more willing to try the idea of randomization.
28written posts
Whammychuearned bits
offlinecurrently
Whammychu
Whammychu Avatar
Yeah, that attitude is a big part of why I've been debating on the randomization part vs. some other method. Re-rolls might be fine and like I said, I'd plan for at least one aspect they get to have full control over so that would also hopefully make people feel more comfortable (ex: can pick the character's gender, but not their species so they could be anything from human to animalfolk of some kind...though I know that has an issue cause art).

On another note, sexuality is something I would not have as being randomized as that I think is part of what would be interesting to explore based on the character's gender, so they're free to play that however they want. Admittedly, part of that was I had a character on a trapped in VRMMORPG site who had been crossplaying before being trapped and I had wanted to explore their dealing with those type of questions as part of the character's story but sadly never was able to get things going.

If, however, the randomization is too much of a hurtle then will have to reconsider how to set it up. The randomization/point system/whatever is all just a way to sort of force people mechanically to play with the theme a bit more.
pronounsshe/her
427written posts
offlinecurrently
cyanide darktearz 💀
cyanide darktearz 💀 Avatar
maybe you can include a section where rpers can pick a trait one trait that they wish to see on the randomized character? That way if they really want to rp as a specific gender, they still can. Just roll on everything else.

Or a list of traits that they'd like they'd like to see to increase their chances, but no guarantee.
28written posts
Whammychuearned bits
offlinecurrently
Whammychu
Whammychu Avatar
cyanide darktearz 💀 Avatar
maybe you can include a section where rpers can pick a trait one trait that they wish to see on the randomized character? That way if they really want to rp as a specific gender, they still can. Just roll on everything else.

Or a list of traits that they'd like they'd like to see to increase their chances, but no guarantee.

As I noted a few times, that's kind of how I thought about going for it. Granted, the list of things I'm looking at randomized is kind of small (race, sex, background prompt), but getting to pick 1 thing guaranteed and one thing to maybe get 50/50 odds would work. Things like personality, overall appearance, sexuality, and the fleshed out background would be up to players. And if there is an RPG system, they're starting out as beginners so they can freely push into a class of their choice (though if using a Dungeon World like system, maybe the race and background prompt come with a special "move" that might nudge you towards certain classes if you wanna min/max).
3,084written posts
Kitten4uearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kitten4u
Part of the Furniture
Kitten4u Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","infoBG"]
[attr="class","infoBG2"]
[attr="class","infoBack"]
[attr="class","infoTitle"][attr="class","fa fa-star-o"] threadarchived
[attr="class","infoDiv"]

[attr="class","infoBody"]

To keep the forum clean and so people know that all threads in certain areas are current and that the OP is likely to still have interest, we archive threads that haven't gotten posts for 2 weeks. This thread is being archived for that reason. If you would like this thread reopened, contact a staff member.