write a reply

Matching "soulmates"

0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
When it comes to making a site where people are matched together (see this thread for more information, tl;dr: "The bond between a guardian and an oracle is sacred (doesn't have to be romantic. Heck, they could even hate each other's guts): They can feel each other’s presence and emotions, and a guardian is able to sense when their oracle is in danger.") - what's a good way to go about it?

The general idea is that two characters are going to get matched together and share a special bond only the two share, but what's a good system for implementing this? Randomly assigning one character to another, giving them the choice between a set number of signs and then pair them? Having them fill out some sort of form? It's a little tricky since their personalities doesn't necessarily have to match, since the "soulmates" doesn't have to be romantic (Imagine a summoner and their guardian from FFX, just without the ability to choose your own guardian).

And what if one of the players leave, what would be a good way to go about it then? Assigning someone a new "soulmate"? Having them be without one for the rest of their lives?
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
You could have it so they can either choose for their character to be matched by you or for the player to match their character on their own. You could integrate this choice on their apps like "would you like staff to pair your character for you: y/n." Sometimes the issue with assigning partners/characters for other people is that they might not like the character dynamic, or their writing preferences/styles/personalities, etc. might not mesh well. this can happen, too, even if they sorted it themselves but they at least have the option to be in control of their wants/needs for particular characters.

I also run a "soulmate" site, and splitting - whether the players are still on the site or not - is really hard and hurts morale pretty badly. When it happens, they can put up another want-ad or ask a friend to take on their character's partner. They can choose to retcon, or they can choose to keep that aspect of their character's history so long as they don't specifically name their previous character unless they have the other player's permission. If you decide to let them choose (either you match-up or they match-up) and their partner splits, they could choose again of which way to go about getting another partner. If they choose you, they'd simply be added into the sorting pool again, and whether they retcon is up to them (unless non-retcon doesn't work with your setting).

Sorry for the verbosity.
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
iota Avatar
You could have it so they can either choose for their character to be matched by you or for the player to match their character on their own. You could integrate this choice on their apps like "would you like staff to pair your character for you: y/n." Sometimes the issue with assigning partners/characters for other people is that they might not like the character dynamic, or their writing preferences/styles/personalities, etc. might not mesh well. this can happen, too, even if they sorted it themselves but they at least have the option to be in control of their wants/needs for particular characters.

I also run a "soulmate" site, and splitting - whether the players are still on the site or not - is really hard and hurts morale pretty badly. When it happens, they can put up another want-ad or ask a friend to take on their character's partner. They can choose to retcon, or they can choose to keep that aspect of their character's history so long as they don't specifically name their previous character unless they have the other player's permission. If you decide to let them choose (either you match-up or they match-up) and their partner splits, they could choose again of which way to go about getting another partner. If they choose you, they'd simply be added into the sorting pool again, and whether they retcon is up to them (unless non-retcon doesn't work with your setting).

Sorry for the verbosity.
The general idea is that one member group is sort of the "protector" of the other, and therefore was thinking about changing the "soulmate" aspect, to a soul bond instead, that's formed by signing a contract by both parties involved (It sounds cheesier than it really is, I promise), and that way, if a person leaves (Or two characters don't click at all), the contract is (and can be) broken and therefore, a new one can be signed with another character. So yeah, essentially throwing them into the pool again/allowing them to pick a new character.

As for having members pick for themselves: While I'm not against this, I am a little afraid of cliques. Not the good kind, but the bad kind where some people pick their favorite members and other members get left out. Perhaps I'm just being overly paranoid about this, but I've met several roleplayers on sites that only write with two members out of several, simply because they're friends, and while everyone isn't like that, how do you balance the two options to avoid some people getting left out, while others don't?

I totally agree with you that people should have the option, because everyone isn't going to click. Characters won't always be a good match. But isn't there some kind of middle ground, or is that just wishful thinking?
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
I completely understand your clique concern. So far, my site hasn't had a clique problem, but I also make sure I (as founder and primary example on site) don't act cliquey either. Anyone can grab my want-ads so long as they can fill the OOC requirements (basically level of activity) that I ask for, along with stay true to the IC reqs I ask for. Other members do the same, and quite a few new members have taken on want-ads from the start. I think it's because they want that immediate connection.

With your site, it sounds like they can also form this contract via RP rather than it be enforced straight from character creation as well, and I personally find the aspect of forming a contract via RP to be interesting character development. I would also suggest to include certain behaviours being unacceptable on site, such as cliquey behaviour, threatening others, throwing tantrums, among others, so if cliques or other behavioural problems do become an issue you can PM them promptly and nip the issue in the budding stage by enforcing your rules.

Overall, I think you can largely prevent the clique issue being a prominent presence on site and constantly setting an example on the forums as well as in the chat. Talk to everyone, plot and thread with everyone, make sure you finish your threads, encourage others to do the same. If someone is looking for plots, ask what they're looking for and then set them up with another member by going "oh, maybe you should thread with X," etc. This also helps spread your members out.

I think you just need to give them options, observe, react, and guide with a gentle hand (or a firm hand when necessary). Also, a forum will never be perfect from the start, so if you find X isn't working, then make changes. You will probably make a lot of changes in the first 3 months. After that, you might have the occasional change. Give it a shot, see if it works, and if it doesn't try an alternative.
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
I think the source of my paranoia comes from that while I've run boards before, I've never run a board where one character is dependent on another in this kind of way - so I don't know exactly what to expect when it comes to something like this. But yeah, you're right. There's little point in worrying about something before it's actually a problem that exists. Ha.

Anyways, thank you for your time and good advice! It's highly appreciated! ^-^

pronounsShe
19written posts
razzaryearned bits
offlinecurrently
razzary
razzary Avatar
Tough decisions, here. I've always loved the idea of soulmates and I'm interested in things like Loveless because of it. At the same time, it seems really tricky to run a roleplay based that way because of the flakey nature of RPers (me included, I'm afraid). I did run a Legend of Mana site, which has a race called the Jumi which have a sort of soulmate bond thing going on and we just let people choose theirs. Of course, there was stuff in canon that stated they had to go through a sort of ritual in order to BE bonded, so it could be a thing that they chose to do. (And sometimes one would bond to somebody without realizing that their first and true bond was still alive!)

I think it's a tricky thing to do but I'm interested in seeing where it ends up going.

As for advice, my best advice is to make sure that whatever you DO decide to go with, try to make it "flake-proof" so that if people poof, the people left behind aren't stuck without any direction or having to delete/retcon everything that already happened (I know I hate doing that--so much wasted time and growth!) So yeah, maybe make it something they can establish with a new person if they need to and I think that might work.