write a reply

Which games, shows, and/or books have moved you to tears?

pronounsShe/Her
77written posts
Pearlescentearned bits
offlinecurrently
Pearlescent
Pearlescent Avatar
When nothing goes right, go left.
Too many to count, because I'm a sensitive sally LOL.

But the ones (not exclusive to games, movies, or books) that stood out for me personally when it came to heartwrenching would have to be The Last of Us, Kung Fu Panda 2 & 3, Undertale, Coco, and Uncharted: The Lost Legacy to name a few off the top of my head (and not in that particular order either).
last edit on Jul 6, 2018 15:43:19 GMT by Pearlescent
aliasvee, vivi
pronounsany / they
659written posts
valkaearned bits
offlinecurrently
valka
Administrator
valka Avatar
do u know... la-hee?

so many... so many. i cry at literally everything, i'm a super emotional person, because i'll cry at anything that's so pure and hopeful and beautiful, because it just generally gives me hope. i'll also cry from nostalgia; i could start up skyrim right now and start tearing up at seeing the sights the moment i step out of helgen.

recently, i've cried to nier: automata, horizon: zero dawn, and final fantasy xiv. i've ... cried a lot at ffxiv LOL the events after the vault dungeon fucking wrecked me and so did the stuff after the singularity reactor and just fhdjgkdf heavensward is a wild ride but anyway

i'm moved to tears by just about anything i make a connection to. it doesn't matter if it's a happy moment or a sad moment, or just nostalgia. i just cry LOL

also do headcanons count? /shot

last edit on Jul 6, 2018 17:53:56 GMT by valka
if you think i haven't been keeping up with pp, think again
Eroge Collector
pronounshe/him
99written posts
offlinecurrently
Máscara de Tigre
Máscara de Tigre Avatar
It all starts with this... a jewel containing the ultimate power!
I recently got done answering a similar question to this on another website, so, with some minor editing, I'll just copy and paste what I wrote there here, (with the video below for context, hope that's alright).

While not technically the game’s ending, I very much appreciate the final cut-scene of Mass Effect 3's citadel dlc. The entirety of the dlc is so much fun, and delivers in terms of fan-service; watching these characters that you’ve grown to love and appreciate over the course of the series get together, party and try to live the remainder of their lives to the fullest before facing the greatest threat of their entire existence felt special, and compared to all the over-the-top shit that actually happens during the dlc, the ending to it is low-key, and somber. The music is poignant, and the way Mark Meer, as Shepard, wistfully utters “...the best,” before soaking in the view one last time and running after his friends always gets me.

0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
You guys XD You're too cute. So many saps.

I totally teared up at Coco, too, .I won't say at which parts, but damn. XD Same for NieR Automata, , that game wrecked my SOUL.

The ones I've actually cried at were FFX and Nier Automata. I want to say there are more (there are definitely more) but they're not coming to mind atm. xD Code Geass didn't make me cry or tear up, but I was totally distraught. Eugh gods. EUGH. The only book that ever got me to cry was The Fault in our Stars. And while that book was amazing, I've discovered I'm not a fan of the author (if you read one book, you've basically read them all pretty much. The characters are the same, think and calculate the same, and have similar storylines... but I think FioS was the most emotional one.).
pronounshe + him
157written posts
Gonzoearned bits
offlinecurrently
Gonzo
Gonzo Avatar
it has, truly, been a roundabout path...
persona 3, but instead of explaining why, i'm going to leave a meme that basically embodies my reasoning

also the original nier and code geass. i have a thing for
the protagonist hecking dying
last edit on Jul 6, 2018 18:19:03 GMT by Gonzo
pronounsno preference /o/
298written posts
offlinecurrently
k̾u̾r̾a̾ 💩
k̾u̾r̾a̾ 💩 Avatar
perhaps i am faint glimmer —
i don't even know why i did it anymore but i bawled like a baby in theaters for deathly hallows part 2. literally, the opening music played and i was a puddle of tears. i very vividly remember crying at the end of "where the red fern grows" when i was a little kid. my favourite book in the whole wide world is the little prince and i bawl every time i read it.

other things that made me bawl like a baby: moana, the end of pokemon black/white, journey, fanfiction. natsume yuujincho always makes me feel like crying because it's so pure and invokes such a weird sense of nostalgia in me.
frog on the floor
aliasfreiheit, microwaved burrito
pronounsany
1,496written posts
pharaoh leapearned bits
offlinecurrently
pharaoh leap
Administrator
pharaoh leap Avatar
i fear you: your silence, your blindness. see what you want to see!
I used to be a bigger cry baby back in the day - I vividly remember bawling like a baby when Wormmon died in, like, Digimon Part Two - but now I have to make a point to not cry at things other people do so I can laugh at them even while I'm tearing up the whole time because I'm an emotional sap.

Final Fantasy X has definitely made me cry over the years. The ending, especially, but Tidus' theme just gives me so much absolute nostalgia that it makes my eyes water up when I hear it. The same thing with the piano version of Yuna's Ballad from FFX-2, actually, but you will never hear me say that X-2 gave me any semblance of emotions ever again. Okami's ending makes me tear up with, like, happy tears just because it's so heckin' GOOD. I can't really think of any other video game that's even really come close to waterworks, though. I screamed a lot at 7th Dragon III because the late game of that is kind of absolute suffering, but it's a little hard to sob over little low poly chibi-headed dudes, sdjkflhkjdsfh. Apparently, 7th Dragon 2020 is gonna wreck me even WORSE once I'm out of the early game, and I believe that, considering how many feelings it's given me in just the first two areas.

The Fault in Our Stars was something I enjoyed way more on a first read through than any other time I experienced it. Honestly, I'm not even sure I like it anymore. I got pretty choked up at once scene involving the mom, though - I can't even remember which one - because in that moment, she sounded really similar to MY mom, and I was like, "I NEVER WANT MY MOTHER TO FEEL THIS WAY EVER, HECK YOU, BOOK." Never Let Me Go was actually pretty... boring when I read it, but I read a short story that was set in a similar universe to it, inspired directly by it, and boy howdy, did that short story absoutely destroy me. It accomplished everything the book tried to do in a fraction of the time and with ten times the intensity.

Rock operas don't fall into any of the listed categories, but I should mention that Streets: A Rock Opera has made me cry more than onec and will probably continue to make me cry. The trials and tribulations DT goes through aren't really relatable by themselves, but the emotional dilemmas and how they're portrayed hits really close to home for me. The ending song, where things aren't necessarily happy, but things are definitely hopeful moves me to tears. There are people out there who care about you and believe in you. As long as they're out there, even if you can't reach them no matter how distant, you are not alone.

I cried at Saving Private Ryan. I cried even harder at Schindler's List. I think I cried happy tears at Rocky? So much for being an emotionaless rock, sdlkfhsdkfjhdskjhf.

AAAAAAAAAAAAND I SOBBED THROUGH THE ENTIRE LAST THREE EPISODES OF MADOKA. I had to periodically pause to scrub away my tears because I was crying so hard I couldn't see the sub-titles. I've watched it so many times that I don't cry anymore, but when I bought the manga adaptions and read through them the first time, I cried all over again. Madoka makes me weak. There's a reason it still sits prettily as my favorite animu of them all.
last edit on Jul 6, 2018 19:40:00 GMT by pharaoh leap

aliasvee, vivi
pronounsany / they
659written posts
valkaearned bits
offlinecurrently
valka
Administrator
valka Avatar
do u know... la-hee?

OH MY GOD

HOW COULD I FORGET

THE MOVIE "HACHI: A DOG'S TALE" MADE ME CRY SO MUCH ESP SINCE IT'S BASED ON A TRUE STORY HHHHHHHHHH IT KILLED ME

pronounsthey/she
248written posts
sacredearned bits
offlinecurrently
sacred
sacred Avatar
Do not seek forgiveness, for it will not ease the burden. It weighs as it should.
valka Avatar

so many... so many. i cry at literally everything, i'm a super emotional person, because i'll cry at anything that's so pure and hopeful and beautiful, because it just generally gives me hope. i'll also cry from nostalgia; i could start up skyrim right now and start tearing up at seeing the sights the moment i step out of helgen.

recently, i've cried to nier: automata, horizon: zero dawn, and final fantasy xiv. i've ... cried a lot at ffxiv LOL the events after the vault dungeon fucking wrecked me and so did the stuff after the singularity reactor and just fhdjgkdf heavensward is a wild ride but anyway

i'm moved to tears by just about anything i make a connection to. it doesn't matter if it's a happy moment or a sad moment, or just nostalgia. i just cry LOL

also do headcanons count? /shot

every time i get to project zero dawn with those expositional cutscenes idk but i always just start crying. idk if its the music, or what. i'm like a leaky tap istg. i'm also right there with you in the skyrim train. after 2000 hours i still could be wandering the middle of nowhere in the pale, with just the right music and BOOM, crying. and whenever i'm wandering the vale because crushed civilisationsmake me really sad for some reason???

i cried playing dragon age inquistion just cause of the end of trespasser. of course i had to play an elf who romanced solas haha what a bad decision that was. i got egged.

never let me go by kazuo ishiguro was the first book that ever made me cry. now i just tend to pick up books that always make me cry by the end? like interpreter of maladies, the sellout (from laughter that time), all the birds singing. i just got batted on to the pain train of literature. 

aliasrav, birb
pronounshe / they
418written posts
ravyn ⭑earned bits
offlinecurrently
ravyn ⭑
ravyn ⭑ Avatar
the only one i can think of off the top of my head right now is violet evergarden i've had to watch it in pieces because i've cried at the end of every episode and my heart hurts as i finish it. it hurts so good

on a completely different level of ultimate feels, the adventure zone has made me tear up and laugh all at the same time.
aliasvee, vivi
pronounsany / they
659written posts
valkaearned bits
offlinecurrently
valka
Administrator
valka Avatar
do u know... la-hee?

I'M BACK AGAIN BECAUSE OH MY GOD, HOW COULD I FORGET

AGENTS OF SHIELD

SHOUTOUT TO SEASON 3 MIDSEASON FINALE FOR CRIPPLING MY HEART BY KILLING OFF A CHARACTER I IDENTIFY WITH TOO MUCH

SHOUTOUT TO SEASON 4 FOR BEING SUCH A ROLLERCOASTER

SHOUTOUT TO SEASON 5 FOR BEING YET ANOTHER ROLLERCOASTER AND MAKING ME BOTH SCARED AND INTRIGUED ON WHAT'S GONNA HAPPEN

SHOUTOUT TO THE UNIVERSE FOR LETTING AGENTS OF SHIELD BE RENEWED FOR SEASON 6

AWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA I LOVE THIS SHOW TOO MUCH

okay i'm done i think

coffee break...
aliasGasker
pronounsany
128written posts
Togaskoearned bits
offlinecurrently
Togasko
Togasko Avatar
For me, recently... the Fairy Tail anime. I have three seasons of it on my computer and since I had been without internet most of this week, I had been forced to watch it. And good god, more than ones its made me want to cry.
pronounsThey/Them
61written posts
Wickearned bits
offlinecurrently
Wick
Wick Avatar
I never expected a Pokemon game to tug at my heartstrings so much, but I was a mess playing through Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2. That's the Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky games.

I first played it as a kid, staying up late on school nights to get through a dungeon (or five) and get to the next chapter in the story. The plot twists and development weren't things that I were expecting. I was hooked. The characters were so easy to get attached to, and the first end of the game had me bawling at a couple of big scenes. Quietly of course, because I was trying not to wake my sister up in the middle of the night. I've replayed it since several times and I still get weepy.

Pro tip: Don't stop playing after the credits roll for the first time. Yeah, the main plot so far has been resolved, but you'll miss almost half the game. Thankfully, I did play through the rest of it, but I had no idea that so much important stuff was left!

Normally I'm not a crier at all, so a Pokemon game making me cry was a complete surprise.