coffee break...
aliasGasker
pronounsany
128written posts
Togaskoearned bits
offlinecurrently
Togasko
Togasko Avatar
1). Chobits - One of the first two anime I've ever watched and fell in love with. I will always love the story in this universe where it touches on the relationship between humans and machines/computers. Or better yet AI's or however you see it. It can be considered a dumb kind of anime. But Chii, one of the characters is so cute and the story of her creation and her twin sister is just sad.

2). Fruits Basket - the second of the 'first' two anmie I've seen. This anime, like Chobits is short. But its all sorts of characters I love and generally based around this family that are cursed with the zodiac. One person per animal but the family is large and it is just great. A older anime that is not well liked or known of (and I was sad to see that only Fruits basket site close down).

3). Your Name - This is a movie I waited forever for the dubbed to come out because my SO wanted to watch it with me. So we made a date night out of it to watch this movie that is just so great. Throws you for a loop a bit but its a tear jerker and omg I would watch this again.

4). Golden Kamuy - A newer anime that has come out and the first season is pretty much done with a second season due sometime soon. But its based in Northen Japan all the way up in Hokkaido. I've come to really love this anime for the history of the Ainu people and their culture, which is so different from Japan even tho they're part of Japan. The charaters are great and theres plenty of hilarious moments. Its a short anime, but it leaves its mark. The opening is just great too.

5). DARLING in the FRANXX - Another new anime, but I think its almost done with the subbed. But Im watching this with my SO and its one of the best Mecha type anime. Good god though. Feels warning because along with some good action, there is unexpected feels that sometimes comes out of nowhere.
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
1. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
2. Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
3. Toward The Terra
4. Disastrous Life of Saiki K
5. Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit

don't...ask me why... i don't want to write a novel... they're all intensely Drama though except #1 and #4.

and because its anime adaptation sucks, i'll give the Kingdom manga a mention too. Honestly, these top 5 plus Kingdom are all equally number 1 in my eyes. (I'm also in love with To Your Eternity but no anime yet...)
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
This is not actually in chronological order of "awesome" for me.

• Mushishi
It's very inventive(?), tranquil, beautiful, and so on. I get lost in the storytelling. It's this journey/discovery type manga/anime (I prefer the anime to see how the mushi move/sound) full of curiosities and makes me curios enough to keep on that journey. It's very inspiring and I would go so far as to call it a masterpiece.

• Code Geass
While I was not a fan of the second season for the most part, I think they wrapped up the story beautifull and... maddeningly /makes up words/ xD It just has one of those endings that have a huge, memorable impact and it just...IT SUCKS, BUT IN A GOOD WAY. I hate it but I love it.

• Violet Evergarden
I didn't think I would be putting a newer anime on my list, but Violet Evergarden was beautifully executed in a similar way to Mushishi but with incredible animation, attention to detail. It's emotion evoking (which is important for just about any art piece), very relatable... so, I would also go so far as to call this one a masterpiece.

• xxxHolic (separate to tsubasa and co)
Very creative take on Japanese folklore. The style is out of whack, but I think it really suits how whimsical the story and setting is. I love the characters (they make me laugh), and it feeds my imagination. I've rewatched this many times.

•Colorful
Choosing my fifth is kind of daunting because I have so many that I classify as gems. xD I chose Colorful because it covers some very sensitive topics and, I found, it to be very relatable. It's a coming of age movie, basically, and the feelings our protagonist had, I totally had as a kid as well. Nearly a tear jerker for me.

• A Silent Voice (bonus)
I... just... don't have words for this. It was very moving. Please watch it. |:

Honourable mentions: Ghost in the Shell, Paprika (and everything that studio made), Wolf Children, the Boy and the Beast, and more...thatIcan'tthinkofoffthetopofmyhead.
last edit on Jul 24, 2018 22:10:41 GMT by Deleted
540written posts
Sharpearned bits
offlinecurrently
Sharp
Part of the Furniture
Sharp Avatar
I like big fonts and I cannot lie
Princess Mononoke because it made me feel like the coolest nine year old on the block that my mom would let me watch something so bloody.

Akira for similar reasons to Mononoke, more taboo because my ma' didn't want me to watch it but my uncle let me sneak it.

Cowboy Bebop because my best friend and I used to watch it together.

Totoro because it was my little sisters first anime.

Naruto because it is something I didn't give a chance as a kid because of the dubs but ended up liking as an adult after my wife got me into it.

So basically like stuff I've watched with family and friends? Sailor Moon was close because when I was like seven the guy I grew up watching Bebop with and I marathoned all the VCRs and argued about who was the best scout til we got beat up at school for liking girl stuff.
last edit on Jul 24, 2018 22:47:03 GMT by Sharp
Lux Lucet in Tenebris
aliasJacob
pronounsHe, Him, and His
1,226written posts
Jacobearned bits
offlinecurrently
Jacob
Part of the Furniture
Jacob Avatar
I. Baka and Test: Summon the Beasts - I watched this primarily to get a vision of what face-claim I've chosen for my male soprano acts and sounds like. It has several jokes which I have thought hysterical, but I cannot endorse the dominant ecchi aspects in good conscience.

II. Digimon - I have known this anime since the 1990s. Takeru Takaishi is my favorite Tamer. His companion, Patamon, is my favorite Digimon. I used to collect the cards, and often play with my Angemon and Seraphimon action figures. His lesser importance bothers me now.

III. The Boy and The Beast - A film, I loved it upon watching Wolf Children: Ame and Yuki. The artwork is gorgeous, the English dub is spectacular, and I hope a board exists where concepts are mirrored. Half-human characters like mine can experience Ren's struggle.

IV. Full Metal Alchemist - I first saw this on Cartoon Network here in the southern United States. The use of a boy as opposed to a woman as Alphonse Elric is rare authenticity. Even when his voice broke, I think the adult female sounds perfectly suited to young child roles.

V. Wolf Children: Ame and Yuki - I love dramatis personae born of human mothers and non-human fathers. Why, I do not quite know, but it is what it is. As with The Boy and The Beast, done well. My roles are of strictly European background, yet this inspires me much.
pronounsgoddess
454written posts
pixie pieearned bits
offlinecurrently
pixie pie
pixie pie Avatar
Please note that these are in no specific order. I cannot sort them in favorites no matter how hard I have tried.

1. Kill La Kill - I love the artwork and the story is very fun. I love the characters and the fight scenes are pretty fun. Mako might be my favorite anime character of all time lol She is so hilarious and ridiculous.

2. Gurren Lagann - This anime gets all of my love. I rewatch it at least once a year. It is a mech based anime but it is so much more than that. The characters are all amazing, the story is epic and the feels! Oh the feels.

3. Samurai Champloo - One of my first animes. The epic adventure of three outcast through the Samurai Era. It has an amazing soundtrack, great characters and a happy ending. Such a great anime.

4. Cowboy Bebop - Cowboy Bebop is one of those things I feel like you can't say you like Anime if you haven't at least seen it. It is a classic and a staple for Anime watchers. That great mix between sci-fi and western. It is done so intricately and beautifully.

5. Boku No Hero Academia - It is one of the newer animes and it is still going on but I can't think of one episode that didn't give me the feels or make me root for the characters in it. It is such an amazing manga and the anime is fantastic. So many feels with this one.

Honorable Mentions -

Naruto - I didn't put it on the list because as much as I love Naruto and it is amazing - since it is so long and there are so many damn fillers - sometimes those things lag down the anime. I kept my list to short lived animes instead of the epic saga sorts, like my next honorable mention...

One Piece - Such a freaking amazing anime. The characters? The story? Epic but again - so many fillers and so long! There are some episodes I wouldn't mind skipping because of it so yeah - that is why it didn't make my top five.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica - I only recently watched this anime and I have to admit that it became a quick favorite! Such a unique spin on the stereotypical magical girl genre. It really surprised me. Not at all what I thought I was in for. It was a total mind f$%k.
pronounsshe / her
12written posts
worldiezillaearned bits
offlinecurrently
worldiezilla
worldiezilla Avatar
ohheylol if this thread got bumped I guess I'll contribute. my 'tops' are purely defined by 'how much rewatch value does this have to me and how little do I have to grind my teeth because of a narrative decision.' not including the classic Ghibli films because that'd be the whole list otherwise.

1. Baccano: Great ensemble cast done right, super entertaining fight scenes, could watch over and over.
2. Tsuritama: Super sweet and charming coming of age story with aliens, mood whiplash beware.
3. Paprika: The art is amazing and I'd say one of the major appeals to me is visual. Definitely have to be in the mood to watch it though.
4. Mob Psycho 100: I've only watched the anime so idk what's going on in the webcomic but thank you for not making the kids fight.
5. Little Witch Academia: Coming from Trigger I'm surprised it's not more dirty but thank GOD it's not more dirty. Really good once it starts picking up pace.
frog on the floor
aliasfreiheit, microwaved burrito
pronounsany
1,496written posts
pharaoh leapearned bits
offlinecurrently
pharaoh leap
Administrator
pharaoh leap Avatar
i fear you: your silence, your blindness. see what you want to see!
Fair warning: I have poo taste. This list may also be, like, totally not accurate because I don't even know what I like and in what order sometimes. Not counting films for this, since I've only seen very few, and I'm pretty sure someone would stone me if I put Appleseed on here???

01. PUELLA MAGI MADOKA MAGICA is on, and number one for the sole sake that it made me cry. A lot. A fictional work eliciting the "single manly tear that strolls down the side of my face" award is actually high praise, so the fact that basically throughout the entirety of the last three episodes I was bawling my eyes out like a baby is... even higher praise! I love the writer's works in general, but perhaps because I grew up on and fell out of love with magical girl anime, or maybe just because I could find myself related really well to almost every character on screen, this one just. Hit me extra hard. I own every volume of the manga + every spin-off manga. For as much as I like the original, though, I think I like The Different Story better. *strokes chin*

02. MOB PSYCHO 100 was one I was hesitant to get into because of art style, but one episode in and I was hooked. Granted, 90% of that was because I fell for Reigen instantly, BUT. I've been a huge fan of One-Punch Man since it came out - and am also current on that manga (albeit not the webcomic, sorry) - but I think everything that I liked about OPM was taken an amplified two fold for Mob100. The characters are all very charming, but more than that, there are a lot of lessons and takeaways from this that you just... don't... get from other anime. Or many works of fiction at all, I guess. And when there is a "theme" that's maybe been done before, it's just done so much better. The ending didn't make me cry, but I did yell a lot. I have one complaint with the manga, which even then's kinda minor, but it's also a Big Spoiler for two arcs, so I won't mention it here. ;o

03. SUPER DIMENSIONAL FORTRESS MACROSS, or Robotech as you'll hear me call it, is easily the first anime I watched, before, even, the likes of Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, et cetera. It was my dad's favorite, so of course he wanted his two daughters to watch it with him. In a lot of ways, it... hasn't aged well, both in animation style (although I do love the character designer's work - they did the character designs from Kabanari, for reference) and voice acting, but I love, love, love the story, just, like... to bits. If they did a remaster with more polish, I genuinely think it would be amazing. This is partly here out of nostalgia, since this series has been with me for longer than I can remember, but as far as mech anime go, I just haven't been able to find one that I love this much.

04. DARKER THAN BLACK - I've rewatched this sucker so many times, aaaaah. This is probably the only, like, "episodic" anime (excluding humor anime???) that I've ever really been able to get into, but each of those episodic plots were able to grip me more than most anime's entire storylines. Exploring humanity through a cast of characters who've supposedly lost theirs is really neat to me. The powers in this anime are also really neat - alongside their "payment" - and all in all, it was just... good times (or bad times, in the case of the characters) had by all. The OVAs were spot on, that spin-off manga by the character designer was also spot on, but we don't talk about season two.

05. FATE/ZERO was the first, and still by far my favorite Fate/ anime I've seen. Admittedly, 90% of the reason why I watched it was because my best friend was drawing parallels between the main character from it and the main character from Mindcrime (which were all true, although the characters are far from copies of the other, sdkljfhsdkjfhds), but BOY, AM I GLAD I DID, BECAUSE HECK, MAN. My single gripe with the series is part of one of the character's backstories, which is probably, like, established lore or whatever in the greater Nasuverse, but just seems so dumb and out of left field within the context of this particular story. I wanted to root for so many characters here, though. Watching everyone suffer was Painful (tm). But hey - I loved every second.

0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
I'm gonna count them down from 5 - 1. I just like the suspense.

5. Yu-Gi-Oh! -- Look, this was ultimately the anime that got me into anime. From there, I bought issues of Shounen Jump cause I saw YGO was featured in that, and then began falling in love with some of the other stories featured. Growing up in the US, unfortunately I had the 4Kidz dub to watch, which provided some hilarious instances such as invisible guns, someone obviously getting punched in the face but them brushing it off as shoving, and cigarettes changed to lollipops. Let's be real, it was cheesy as hell, but it pushed me in the direction of other shows, so it holds a special place in my heart.

4. Attack on Titan -- What can I say? I love how it first started out with fighting titans and brutal deaths. It was unique, something new. Sure, the whole government thing kind of killed the vibe, but hey, when have politics ever been pleasant and welcomed with open arms, am I right? I'm just here for the mindless hack and slash games that come from this series. They're so mind-numbingly entertaining. Plus the soundtrack is fantastic. The spin-off things that result from this otherwise are pretty pointless. I mean Attack on Titan: Junior High? Please.

3. Love Live! -- Nothing warms my heart more than the power of friendship. It's probably because I don't have any friends, but I digress. There's some boppin' songs in this series, and same with its sequel, Love Live! Sunshine!!. If you want a feel-good show, I totally suggest sitting down and binge-watching this. The characters each have their cute, quirky things that make them unique, but in a good way! Sure, it's not action-y in the slightest or anything, but it still has exciting moments!

2. Space Dandy -- Short-lived and underappreciated are two ways to describe this series. I absolutely loved the English dub for this, they couldn't have picked a better cast, Ian Sinclair made a great Dandy. It had its mix of humor, off-the-wall antics, and surprisingly touching moments. It didn't really follow a specific plot line, as the episodes could be watched pretty much in any order you'd like, but I definitely recommend it for anyone into something different from the typical anime formula.

Honorable Mention -- Panty & Stocking With Garterbelt Look, this show had the animation style of Powerpuff Girls, crude humor, two fallen angels, and ridiculous names for the characters... What more could you love about it? Oh, except the soundtrack to that, too. That was a bop. I wish they'd make a season 2 to this some point soon, but ultimately it's probably just one big troll of a series. Still, I can only hope for it, can't I?

1. Cory in the House -- Best anime.
pronounsthey/them
48written posts
websearned bits
offlinecurrently
webs
webs Avatar
Not in any particular order, and only three because I don't feel like I've watched another anime enough to label it in my top.

Attack on Titan - obligatory, this is what got me into anime AND manga once again.

Sword Art Online - the first anime I actively watched and binged fully without stopping first. SAO II was a bit different. Not quite patiently waiting for Alicization to be fully out to binge watch it.

One Punch Man - unlike Attack on Titan, it was something I could chill out and watch with my younger sibling without having to watch ahead for gory bits.

Some of the anime I'm hoping to watch sometime soon: DARLING in the FRANXX, Akagami no Shirayukihime & Owari no Seraph
reluctant heroes, an attack on titan/shingeki no kyojin alternate universe
446written posts
wolfeearned bits
offlinecurrently
wolfe
wolfe Avatar
In no particular order:

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Gold standard even today IMO. Made me cry.

Teen Titans: Yo I loved this series as a kid and like it even as an adult. It dealt with intense, real topics in a way a kid could understand and had dark plot lines that fucked me up back then like Beast Boy/Terra. Made me cry.

My Hero Academia: I really love this very optimistic sort of setting and also made me cry. Noticing a theme yet?

RWBY: A1 and made me cry a bunch of times. Takes a similar concept to MHA and gives the characters much more freedom in a darker setting.

Naruto: Gotta put my formative anime here, classics like Gaara vs. Rock Lee and Sasuke vs. Itachi will be remembered forever!
kmsdvlajvkefk
aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,254written posts
homie issuesearned bits
offlinecurrently
homie issues
Part of the Furniture
homie issues Avatar
emotional over wallace event/alt
Welcome to demon school, iruma-kun!

Disastrous Life of Saiki K

Those two are basically interchangeable. I don’t know how i’ve lived without then. So much serotonin.

My mal account says my other three are tower of god, dororo, and fmab but hmm

I think it’s… code geass, fmab, and toward the terra…

I honestly do not know why i do not hold mp100 higher. I am collecting thr manga and i love going back to it. But i think the fandom ruined some of it for me.

Code geass has half a stupid fandom but also half that is incredibly fun and we make jokes about how toxic the characters are. But the fact that i can keep going back to it and creating discussions about its theme says a lot
kmsdvlajvkefk
aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,254written posts
homie issuesearned bits
offlinecurrently
homie issues
Part of the Furniture
homie issues Avatar
emotional over wallace event/alt
WAIT HOLD UP

1. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
2. Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
3. Toward The Terra
4. Disastrous Life of Saiki K
5. Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit

don't...ask me why... i don't want to write a novel... they're all intensely Drama though except #1 and #4.

and because its anime adaptation sucks, i'll give the Kingdom manga a mention too. Honestly, these top 5 plus Kingdom are all equally number 1 in my eyes. (I'm also in love with To Your Eternity but no anime yet...)

I ENDED UP LIKING MY OWN POST I WAS LIKE WOW SOMEONE ELSE KNOWS MORIBITO??? HELL YEAH
no angel
alias██████
pronounszimzala/bim
159written posts
ace.earned bits
offlinecurrently
ace.
ace. Avatar
I took a little piece of your heart, don't hate me.
:thinking:

1. utena ~ 12/10 art direction/plot/characters/theming/etc. etc. etc.
felt like it was made for Me specifically.

2. kare kano ~ just goated. the comedy's nice & i like how the main relationship develops. mc's not a boring doormat either.

kaiba ~ made me cry a few times, so it's good. plus i love cyberpunk and body horror.

bochi ~ fun animation. good gags.

psycho pass ~ the world building was great & i love akane and watching akane's ideals get akane into trouble 

bonus

carried by the wind ~ idk it's funny. plus the mc's a handsome woman (& i love those)

...actually i really like gunslinger girl & pmmm too. picking just five is hard orz
last edit on Oct 29, 2023 4:55:22 GMT by ace.