phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,237written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
at this, the world's end, do we cast off tomorrow~!
me: okay, so i have the "you must provide a link to your site along with your affiliate banner" rule in my affiliation thread, and now it's been bolded, in a different accent color, and put in size 50pt font-

sb: c: hey can you c: add us c: as an affiliate c: here is our button c:

me: buT YOU DIDN'T PROVIDE A LINK HOW DID YOU MISS THAT RULE SHIVA-

269written posts
Kei ⚸earned bits
offlinecurrently
Kei ⚸
Kei ⚸ Avatar
Don't depend on anyone in this world because even your own shadow leaves you when you're in the dark
I am in love with well thought out characters. One of the best things about being an admin (specially for a fantasy site) is reading over bios and feeling satisfied when someone presents you with bio that is unique, knowing full well that they read all information that pertains to the character they chose to make, asked you a ton of questions, and you can tell they worked hard to create this character, no matter how many words it is (quality over quantity).

But then you have the ones that finish their bios in 20 min (whether less than 400 words or over 1000), littered with grammatical errors and conflicting personality traits that makes no sense, 2 likes and 2 dislikes, a history that is completely irrelevant to the site plot (especially for fantasy plots, or originals for different species and such that require certain things) and no questions were asked at all in regards to the making of this character.

Not sure if I should but, I really take that as an insult to a well developed plot I've worked hard on for many many years, and I used to be that person that would point out everything that bothered me when reviewing, almost like an english teacher (I was young, it's shameful for me to think about now.)

I'm still the person that accepts quality over quantity (but still puts 100 word minimums for personalities and histories because I want to encourage everyone to really think about their character they plan to role play), and it's super disheartening when I read a bio and knowing full well they didn't read any lore or the description of species that they chose, and I'm always torn between letting them know how I feel, or just accepting them and moving on.... (which is mostly what I do now.)

540written posts
Sharpearned bits
offlinecurrently
Sharp
Part of the Furniture
Sharp Avatar
I like big fonts and I cannot lie
Kei ⚸ Avatar
I am in love with well thought out characters. One of the best things about being an admin (specially for a fantasy site) is reading over bios and feeling satisfied when someone presents you with bio that is unique, knowing full well that they read all information that pertains to the character they chose to make, asked you a ton of questions, and you can tell they worked hard to create this character, no matter how many words it is (quality over quantity).

But then you have the ones that finish their bios in 20 min (whether less than 400 words or over 1000), littered with grammatical errors and conflicting personality traits that makes no sense, 2 likes and 2 dislikes, a history that is completely irrelevant to the site plot (especially for fantasy plots, or originals for different species and such that require certain things) and no questions were asked at all in regards to the making of this character.

Not sure if I should but, I really take that as an insult to a well developed plot I've worked hard on for many many years, and I used to be that person that would point out everything that bothered me when reviewing, almost like an english teacher (I was young, it's shameful for me to think about now.)

I'm still the person that accepts quality over quantity (but still puts 100 word minimums for personalities and histories because I want to encourage everyone to really think about their character they plan to role play), and it's super disheartening when I read a bio and knowing full well they didn't read any lore or the description of species that they chose, and I'm always torn between letting them know how I feel, or just accepting them and moving on.... (which is mostly what I do now.)

We are mostly opposites in this regard. I don't want to sift through intricate bios unless I find a character to be super interesting.

Personally I only use bios to check on if a character complies with lore. I really don't think bios are as important as the average site makes them out to be and whenever it is required I find myself wanting to rewrite the bio after about a month once I have a feel for the character. I really prefer being vague and back filling so that my character is more fluid when it comes time to plot with someone else.
last edit on Jun 12, 2020 20:21:59 GMT by Sharp
210written posts
Khaeearned bits
offlinecurrently
Khae
Khae Avatar
One of my pet peeves as an admin is, of course, when people refuse to read the rules and information about the site. Like, I understand if something confuses them and they ask questions about it and that's totally fine; but if someone doesn't read something and asks about it then like...why? Also love it when they ask questions and are told no but do it anyway when making a character.
Feline Overlord
aliasChibi
pronounsShe/Her
1,786written posts
Chibi Magicianearned bits
offlinecurrently
Chibi Magician
Spring '21 Dev Completionist
Chibi Magician Avatar
Pure Gremlin Energy
I discovered something new that bothers me a year or two ago when running my site because somehow despite my lengthy-time creating sites, this was the first time it happened. I get really annoyed when people try to pretend they read the information, but also say something like "Oh, I never watched that show." as the reason for the confusion. My sites are original role-plays and my current one maybe has 2-3 species based somewhat on a show, but rarely fully. It saddens me since it means the person did not accomplish even a quick skim of the information before turning in their application. Should someone skim, they would have noticed we credit when we get inspirations from shows.

Another thing that makes me sad is when somebody hands in an application for review, I notice something and politely message them and then they openly admit they did not add x thing because they were confused. x.x My staff and I try very hard to come off as friendly so members want to ask us questions. Thus, it bothers me someone decided to try and slip through the cracks rather than coming up and being honest. I am willing to answer any question as long as someone proves to have a vague understanding of the information since that shows effort; only time I hand people a link in this situation is if the site info genuinely explains it better than me. ;-; Even if someone is asking to be spoon-fed so they can avoid reading, I answer for a little bit before providing links to the information they seek.

ic for a dystopian fantasy role-play
210written posts
Khaeearned bits
offlinecurrently
Khae
Khae Avatar
There has been this person that keeps showing up and saying they want to join and then never do. Always saying they found the perfect FC and will just sit in the discord for like a week before vanishing. I've seen them do it on a different site before as well and just shduvfygshuvdskjkhhi If you're not going to join then why bother getting people's hopes up? D<
Admin Pet-peeves written Jul 23, 2020 9:11:03 GMT via mobile
aliasmiddy, midnight
pronounsShe/Her
663written posts
NIGHTBLOOMearned bits
offlinecurrently
NIGHTBLOOM
Part of the Furniture
NIGHTBLOOM Avatar
so it goes.
Khae Avatar
There has been this person that keeps showing up and saying they want to join and then never do. Always saying they found the perfect FC and will just sit in the discord for like a week before vanishing. I've seen them do it on a different site before as well and just shduvfygshuvdskjkhhi If you're not going to join then why bother getting people's hopes up? D<

I feel attacked :'D nah, jk but really. I do kinda do this. I enjoy the premise of a lot of sites. But sometimes I like to lurk a discord and chat lightly until I get a feel for the community. Sometimes it feels like a cozy place to settle into. Other times my introverted tendencies take over and a community seems overwhelming so I kinda nope out. Just my two cents on why I've done this before (and will probably do it again).

To stay on topic, it used to bug me when some admins would make ridiculous advertising rules. I already hate advertising as it is, just let me post my image and go. I don't want to fill out a form or put a secret password or something idk.
last edit on Jul 23, 2020 9:14:35 GMT by NIGHTBLOOM

coming soon.
Tidal Wave
aliasAkira, Tsunami, Tsu, Blue, Aki, Kazzie
pronounsAny
4,126written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
offlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
I've got a hurricane in my head, I can't feel a thing, but it's better than dead
No one has posted here in awhile but ok boy do I have some? Or maybe everyone's just moved to staffing confessions idk...

But my biggest pet peeve as an admin is... Being an admin.

No hear me out rq okay?

I'm basically a solo admin, I do all the app coding and most of the skinning and when things break it comes to me, if things need serious looking into or approval it comes to me, I do most of the link backs, all of the events, I write all the plot info and rules and all the things. I do have someone that reviews the bios for me, but if the bios are a problem then they're automatically deferred to me.

I don't mind it, because I run an Original RP, meaning everything is locked in my head. But then you get people that come around while I'm struggling with, is this enough information, is it too little information, are these rules okay, what about board descriptions? Should I change the skin to something cooler or just leave it? Is the aesthetic too bright or too dark, are things too busy?

There's so much work that goes into it when you don't have staff. On top of balancing all my own characters and plots and things.

And then you get the people that come in that are intimidated by you, literally just because you're the admin. Like I promise I'm a nice person, I love to write and plot and RP just as much as the next person does, so please don't exclude me just because I'm staff?

Idk, that's my biggest peeve I guess >.>

Feline Overlord
aliasChibi
pronounsShe/Her
1,786written posts
Chibi Magicianearned bits
offlinecurrently
Chibi Magician
Spring '21 Dev Completionist
Chibi Magician Avatar
Pure Gremlin Energy
When people apply for affiliates and do not listen to the “please put our affiliate up first rule.” I have only had this happen once and the person never put the affiliate up which made me sit there like “Then why apply?”

ic for a dystopian fantasy role-play
540written posts
Sharpearned bits
offlinecurrently
Sharp
Part of the Furniture
Sharp Avatar
I like big fonts and I cannot lie
Chibi Magician Avatar
When people apply for affiliates and do not listen to the “please put our affiliate up first rule.” I have only had this happen once and the person never put the affiliate up which made me sit there like “Then why apply?”

What may happen with some of those cases is that the person may have gotten impatient (not your case specifically, seems like you update affiliates really quick). I will usually only wait a week or two for reciprocation of an affiliate before taking the button down myself. Or if I didn't notice you've got affiliates above me that have been waiting that long I'll also back out. I'm not mad when it happens and I get it, so I don't want to post again in the aff board and make them think I am guilt tripping them or something. Better they just think I'm big dumb and didn't follow instructions than make them feel bad.
last edit on Sept 8, 2021 16:32:29 GMT by Sharp
Admin Pet-peeves written Jan 24, 2022 0:50:08 GMT via mobile
241written posts
The Lawearned bits
offlinecurrently
The Law
The Law Avatar
When members treat the rules as just a suggestion. I.e. When the rules explicitly ban a certain type of power, or power beyond a certain degree of magnitude, and a member tries to find loopholes and/or gray areas in an attempt to find a "creative" workaround.
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
on the one hand, i know that some folks just want to slap down their app/fill out their profile and get right to it. i get it. we're all here to write, and getting bogged down in app review can be frustrating. 
on the other hand, we put a lot of time into our lore and rules and guidelines. and if i have to go to someone to be like "hey you filled this out wrong" or "hey you're not actually allowed to do this because it breaks the lore/we had to tell someone else no in the past," it's not personal! or maybe it is personal because you didn't read something that you really should have and i'm lowkey calling you out for it (even though i'm just following the same process i do for everyone!), but i'm not doing it to be a bother! i'm doing it because we want the acceptance process to be fair, and because the rules are there for a reason.

tldr; my peeve is folks who get pissy because i ask them to make a change in their app, even tho they wouldn't have had to make that change if they just read stuff beforehand