Admin Pet-peeves

pronounssorcerer
186written posts
troye saivonearned bits
offlinecurrently
troye saivon
troye saivon Avatar
we feel it with our whole body and soul
im just gonna say i dont read site rules or info (maybe ill skim it). and if its like a fandom rp i either wont read or just barely read any of the information there and just wing it on apps (though i usually check out the apps to get all relevant info for filling out mine).

^ proud of this proud of me
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
tbh i have the patience of a saint for most things but nothing cuts that short like making it obvious you didn't actually read a damn thing and you just expect me to sit here and hold your hand/summarize the entire site to you in the limited characters available to me in the cbox.

I am 100% that admin that will tell you everything is in the rule board until you read it. I will copy paste that bloody message until you come back with a question not answered in the rules (or that I can't remember covering.... in which case guess what? still didn't get me. I double check my own effing rule threads before I answer you. Read the threads >:C)

Genuine questions to clarify things and not (what are the rules of this forum?) type things are one thing but the essentially want to be told everything in the rule threads one on one isn't going to happen. Those threads are there for a reason. And I get some people use these kinds of questions to "gauge" the community but frankly, do yourself a favor and ask for a clarification of an already present rule. All you do by using those kinds of questions is put yourself on my watch list because now I have to make sure you actually read AND follow those rules because I do not trust you now. I don't know who is doing that because they really didn't read the rules and don't care what they are and who's fishing for a response (not to mention i find fishing is often manipulative and that sets me off too) to judge.

also minimodding on MAJOR rules. If it's basic stuff like "can i use my hand drawn ocs here?" which isn't always covered in the rules but has been answered before, I am A-ok with members doing that but when it's major stuff like having to do with powers or plot that's not already 100% answered in the posts and threads given to you, please direct that to a staff member because you as a regular member do not know what's being hidden in the background and held onto for events and the like. You don't get to decide what kind of stuff like that flies and what doesn't.

Also if you ever come on my site and play the "Oh you want that fc? well guess what to bad i finished my char with that same oc before you!!!!" behavior i will smack your hands with a ruler and you may just get a 24hr forum ban for it. We do not play those games in my house, don't be a rude ass. (it's one thing when it's a genuine you got there first but I have seen people that literally only used FCs that people said they were going to use and when we're on the third or fourth case of that it's really suspicious and we're not going to do that here ok)

disclaimer: I am a lady of exaggerations and taking anything i say literal is bad for your health, nearly all cases where staff must deal with a member is best dealt with on a case by case basis and I whole heartedly believe in talking with a member first and foremost but when someone knowingly continues to do something I am a firm believer that some sort of consequence must be given to prevent it from continuing to occur and hurt the community at large.
last edit on Jul 28, 2018 8:39:13 GMT by Deleted
the endless hunt
aliasleto, blobert, crow
pronounshe / they
1,370written posts
ullaearned bits
offlinecurrently
ulla
Administrator
ulla Avatar
in turning divine, we tangle endlessly
eliza Avatar
hey is this thread active?
this triggered me so hard 

"hey is this site active..?"

meanwhile there's an active conversation going on in chat and there have been 84782372 ic threads updated in the last 24 hours but... idk man looks p inactive to me
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
I want to start off with "is this ____ active?"

It's literally the equivalent to customer service complaints. Actually you know what? That's the equivalent for a lot of rp pet peeves.

But God, yes, the member soapboxing is awful. But you know what's worse? When people make it a pissing contest of who's had the worse day. "Man, work was busy today. I had to do this in x amount of time." "Oh yeah? Well I had to plan my dad's funeral within a span of 3 minutes. Get on my level, sweaty. (:" Like... Okay. Thanks for that, I think. I don't know how to respond. Was your dad's funeral as awful as that competitive nature of yours?

I also really hate when people complain about face claims being used. "Man, that's the only face claim I can think of. :/" That's rough, kid. How about I direct you to a face claim resource site? No? Then perish.

Oh, and members harrassing others in the chat box with "did you post for me yet?" Do you see a post? No? Then no, they didn't. It only takes a moment of your time to pull your head out of your ass and check.

I have plenty more to throw in here, but I actually have to take the time and sit down to think of them l;kasdjf
last edit on Jul 28, 2018 15:15:42 GMT by Deleted
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
On that competition note, I hate it when members start to bicker about who got the least amount of sleep. "I only got 4 hours sleep tonight", "Wow lucky, I've only had two hours in last two days" and so on etc. Why... and they sound so proud from the lack of sleep and being the one who got the least. No prize .. please move along now. 

And timezone issues. Not being respectful that there is other timezones than yours and not everyone's gonna be on when you are. 
coffee break...
aliasGasker
pronounsany
128written posts
Togaskoearned bits
offlinecurrently
Togasko
Togasko Avatar
Been an admin to a couple groups, not on forums as of yet. BUT IT STIL COUNTS! But it ticks me off when members clearly dont listen to whats not allowed and what is. And takes it upon themselves to just go on and do it anyway which left me all like "ARE YOU SEROUS?! idiot, what did i just say bout that?!"

And then theres this other thing where a problem member just goes to another staffer to see if they can overrule/overpower you into saying yes or something.
540written posts
Sharpearned bits
offlinecurrently
Sharp
Part of the Furniture
Sharp Avatar
I like big fonts and I cannot lie
von Avatar
no but the ESSENCE of that rule was so that the admins would know u've read the rules......

It usually goes like this: you should register in all lowercase so we know you've read the rules.

also active threads can be customized on css but the code isnt given on the regular stylesheets. any HTML on jcink can be manipulated.

I can see a rule like that being handy to know who is paying attention, although I feel like it is sort of a throwback to the days of hiding a password to the application board in the rules (albeit more subtle).

In my school of thought I try to remove rules if the forum software can get the same outcome. For example if I don't want them to post in the IC threads before they are accepted I can just make it so new accounts can't do that until they are sorted in a group.

Chibi Magician Avatar

When members don't ask questions when they are confused/don't understand something. We attempt to make places where members can ask questions to their hearts desire. This especially becomes an issue when they start making assumptions on the unknown topic.

murk Avatar
there are two that really get to me.
- when a guest/new member joins the cbox/discord and asks a question in regards to the site that is word for word in the rules/plot/other info threads. i get wanting to feel out the community before joining, i do not understand joining before reading anything informational. i get posing questions in regards to the information threads like 'why did you decide to use this location for the rp?' but not something as simple as 'can i use rl face claims?'

I believe the reason some people don't ask questions is because they are afraid of being "that guy" in Murk's post. I hate asking questions because when I was a younger roleplayer an immature admin burned me for missing some obscure information in their lore that I could not find.
last edit on Jul 28, 2018 19:26:26 GMT by Sharp
Admin Pet-peeves written Jul 28, 2018 19:29:46 GMT via mobile
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
Togasko Avatar

And then theres this other thing where a problem member just goes to another staffer to see if they can overrule/overpower you into saying yes or something.

Omg this i forgot about this. This drives me up a wall its like when a child gets told no by parent A so they go to B hoping to hear something different and then has a tanrtum when they dont or gets to delight in watching their parents argue over them getting what they want.

Seriously, unless you asked a mod about something major first or a higher staffer COMES TO YOU WITH SOMETHING DIFFERENT dont drill the ENTIRE staff team about the same queation as if its going change! Even if just one person says yes if the admin says no thats the effing answer.

Not to mention you could end up making the one that said yes feel like shit for messing up by doing that. Its not a positive or good behavior just dont do it.
176written posts
zeroearned bits
offlinecurrently
zero
zero Avatar
endless Avatar
Togasko Avatar

Omg this i forgot about this. This drives me up a wall its like when a child gets told no by parent A so they go to B hoping to hear something different and then has a tanrtum when they dont or gets to delight in watching their parents argue over them getting what they want.

Seriously, unless you asked a mod about something major first or a higher staffer COMES TO YOU WITH SOMETHING DIFFERENT dont drill the ENTIRE staff team about the same queation as if its going change! Even if just one person says yes if the admin says no thats the effing answer.

Not to mention you could end up making the one that said yes feel like shit for messing up by doing that. Its not a positive or good behavior just dont do it.
This amuses me not only because it's happened in rp, but it's happened to me irl too. I've had a person come to me for advice, not like the answer, speak to my manager, not like their answer, then raise a call to the helpline which...comes straight back to me to answer xD

People can be very reluctant to accept answers they don't like. I imagine it's a form of confirmation bias, in that as long as they can get one staffer to agree, they're good to go.
Feline Overlord
aliasChibi
pronounsShe/Her
1,779written posts
Chibi Magicianearned bits
offlinecurrently
Chibi Magician
Spring '21 Dev Completionist
Chibi Magician Avatar
Pure Gremlin Energy
Sharp Avatar
I believe the reason some people don't ask questions is because they are afraid of being "that guy" in Murk's post. I hate asking questions because when I was a younger roleplayer an immature admin burned me for missing some obscure information in their lore that I could not find.

That is an excellent point and I see what you mean. I can understand shyness/anxieties getting in the way or bad experiences; in fact, my own shyness leaves me hesitant to join sites that leave me having a lot of questions. So I partially wanted to mention it in hopes people will see that staff prefer receiving questions over the member assuming when they are confused/don't understand. c: We do attempt to keep a friendly display and openness towards question after all, so it can be unfortunate to discover a member has possibly become anxious about asking questions. Also, I hope your experiences with admins/staff have improved since it always makes me shake my head hearing stories about members receiving backlash for simply forgetting/missing that is obscure.

ic for a dystopian fantasy role-play
Admin Pet-peeves written Jul 28, 2018 20:51:02 GMT via mobile
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
I think when it comes to questions its mostly a matter of what kind it is.

If you say "i have no idea what's this site about what happens here?" Well.... Thats literally what all the info threads are for and i know personally i just give an exhausted sigh and brace myself because if you cant handle looking into the site enough to figure that out in the obvious plot threads or skin blurbs etc etc we're in for a long road.

Meanwhile if you say, are curious about a race and go "well the thread for such and such says they're a warrior race, is it possible to make a not warrior putcast because i think that could be fun to play" hell yeah please ask that! You should if it makes you feel. More comfortable to ask before doing. Those kinds of questions are totally valid and any admin that gives you hell for it, well personally i take that as a sign to not join because if they cant handle a question like that well i cant trust them to handle worse problems well either.
pronounsany pronouns
270written posts
forteearned bits
offlinecurrently
forte
forte Avatar
Chibi Magician Avatar
Sharp Avatar
That is an excellent point and I see what you mean. I can understand shyness/anxieties getting in the way or bad experiences; in fact, my own shyness leaves me hesitant to join sites that leave me having a lot of questions. So I partially wanted to mention it in hopes people will see that staff prefer receiving questions over the member assuming when they are confused/don't understand. c: We do attempt to keep a friendly display and openness towards question after all, so it can be unfortunate to discover a member has possibly become anxious about asking questions. Also, I hope your experiences with admins/staff have improved since it always makes me shake my head hearing stories about members receiving backlash for simply forgetting/missing that is obscure.

This. This. This.

I'm both ADD and dumb as hell, so there are times when I read through all a site's info... but then I don't notice that my brain decided to blip out and not to process a solid chunk of text that I thought I read. So I usually have questions and whatnot, but when I have questions that I feel might be dumb (but I can't find the answer on my own), I'll slither off into the sunset because I know admins' lives are hard and I don't want to contribute to that by annoying them with something trivial or by being That Guy™.

This might be an unpopular opinion but... I actually? Love getting questions from guests and new members?? Even the "dumb" questions??? It could have something to do with the fact that I actually really like it when my members are excited enough to want to answer questions — or "mini-modding," I think it was called? As long as the member answering is fine with saying that they don't know or are unsure about something when it's applicable, I think them going out of their way like that is super helpful; hell, it even warms my cold, dead heart? In the past, my members and I have had contests to see who can answer a question the best or grab a link to a certain thread the fastest. And we've probably scared people off with our weird excessive enthusiasm in the process.

Also, casual side note: I know that on the first site I was on in this community, I was one of those enthusiastic members who wanted to be super helpful all the time. I kind of had this "the admin could use a break, I'll try to do what I can to make things easier" mentality. So yeah. I'm sure I was super annoying and I'm so incredibly sorry that that admin had to put up with that dfahlsdflajsdfh.

But yee... I don't want people to feel bad for not understanding things, even if it's simplistic. I love questions. I love attention. I love validation. Hell, if someone's nice to me and just says "thank you," I'll even sit on VC with them and walk them through everything step-by-step, even though I've written out a getting started guide. Chances are, some other members would be excited to chat and help, too. — I've actually had a member go on VC and read out everything in the site's info section out loud to new people more than once. Bless him.
last edit on Jul 29, 2018 1:38:28 GMT by forte
frog on the floor
aliasfreiheit, microwaved burrito
pronounsany
1,500written posts
pharaoh leapearned bits
offlinecurrently
pharaoh leap
Administrator
pharaoh leap Avatar
i've been having some pretty dark thoughts.
On the topic of the That Guys™ and being someone who genuinely read the rules but doesn't want to come across as being a That Guy™ when asking questions - just be honest! "Hey, I read through everything, but I may have missed this, so I just want to be sure?" is going to come across a lot better and more understandable than "Hey, spoon feed me all of the information that I'm supposed to read". Most of the people who don't bother reading the rules aren't going to bother being "nice" so much as just being blunt when they ask said questions. People do make mistakes; you can read through all the info and just... FORGET about something, especially if there's a lot to be read in a sitting. If the admins can't forgive you or sympathize with not knowing every detail of a site after an initial read, that's on the admin, not on you.

On the topic of "mini-modding", it only bothers me when staff are already there and already answering the question being asked. I honestly like it a lot as an admin when I see members trying to help other members out. I know I will personally try to answer any question I know the answer to if it's asked although, I'm using staff, anyway, so sdkfjlhskdjfhsd, so it seems rude for me to personally call out other people doing the same. But if I'm already explaining something, and you're just parroting off of me, all you're... doing... is wasting your own time... GO USE THAT TO POST, I GOT THIS, DON'T WORRY. I KNOW HOW TO RUN SITES sort of.

I don't like. When I make a site template. Like an app, or a member directory. And I forget to text-transform. But instead of being cool and chill and uniform. People just use whATEVER CASING THEY DANG WELL PLEASE, LIKE. SIR. SIR. I WORK VERY HARD TO KEEP THINGS LOOKING NICE HERE. WOULD YOU PLEASE CAPITALIZE YOUR NAME.
Admin Pet-peeves written Jul 29, 2018 17:26:11 GMT via mobile
Dark Empress
aliasYuki
pronounsshe/her
398written posts
Empress Yukiearned bits
offlinecurrently
Empress Yuki
Empress Yuki Avatar
Do you think we can be just like you?
von Avatar
when someone made a a suggestion in a lore-heavy and systems-heavy site wherein the change is actually quite impossible or would throw a lot of rpers/threads/the whole site off for the reason that they like their system/lore better than the original. Therefore the site should apply it for them..... then act bratty if the admins tell them their suggestions would be impossible bc of various rational reasons.

I find that if you don't really like a system for the site and that it's virtually impossible to change them at a point wherein they've actually started opening and utilizing the said system/lore, you should just make another site that fits your system more. It's not really a bad thing, really. I get it some admins can sound mean by saying it, but some sites can't just be flexible.

this. THIS. god i remembered a person who tries to change the lore over on a site I staffed to fit their lore and shit. They even pestered me and the staff team to bend to their will. Suffice to say, we did not take kindly of the attempt and turn him way.

On side note, people who give shit ton of abilities to their character to the point it become OP.