pronounsany
297written posts
flareearned bits
offlinecurrently
flare
flare Avatar
rp is supposed to be fun, remember
voice Avatar
People always preach that RP is more than the aesthetics of posts and skins and yet now people are pushing 'use site templates only to save the aesthetic of our site.'
im ngl, i like fixed site templates just because of how aesthetics don't get in my way. they usually don't have toggles or hovers and work perfectly even from mobile - unlike a lot of custom templates. and i'm saying that as someone who codes said templates.
pronounshe, him
561written posts
Sharpearned bits
offlinecurrently
Sharp
Part of the Furniture
Sharp Avatar
voice Avatar
People always preach that RP is more than the aesthetics of posts and skins and yet now people are pushing 'use site templates only to save the aesthetic of our site.'

It just sounds a lot nicer than to just be blunt about the problematic issues with custom templates, though.

Some people only bother with templates because they know if they don't then some will think they are a noob or value their posts less. I don't want that culture in my own space, so it doesn't exist there. Simple as that.

last edit on May 10, 2020 1:42:59 GMT by Sharp
446written posts
wolfeearned bits
offlinecurrently
wolfe
wolfe Avatar
The Dragon Prince has the best opening 3 episodes I can remember from anywhere.

Animation quality is the only downside, but holy moly the rest of it is 10/10 and if the writing/structure remains this good and the animation improves this might be in contention for my favorite show ever.
frog on the floor
aliasfreiheit, microwaved burrito
pronounsany
1,539written posts
pharaoh leapearned bits
offlinecurrently
pharaoh leap
Administrator
pharaoh leap Avatar
i've been having some pretty dark thoughts.
voice Avatar

Some others brought up the potential for custom template issues, but I also think required site templates kind of levels the playing field. People with no, or hard-to-read templates may struggle to find threads - because even though the community as a whole seems to recognize the "aesthetic value over writing/community value" thing as an issue, there are still people out there, and probably not that many less than before it was brought to light who still may not want to RP with people whose posts, which they must stare at for long periods of time, are not easy on the eyes. Conversely, a shiny shipper/wanted ad/even just regular post may draw more attention to a person who wouldn't have had quite so much otherwise - and while that's fine and dandy, others may feel slighted for not drawing the same crowd with similar quality content in the write, not the code.

If everyone uses the same templates (or no templates at all for anything), this becomes less of an issue because everyone's pulling from the same pool. Both are valid options; the latter may alienate those who aren't willing to completely part with templates, and the former may alienate those who aren't familiar with code enough to navigate them, but the principal remains for either one. There's no perfect solution to the issue because not everyone in the community is going to suddenly become a paragon of perfect RPing merit, but there are steps you can take to try to help shorten the gap. Does this help long term? I have no clue. Short term? I'd like to think so, at least. :O
Elemental Enthusiast
aliasMari
pronounsthey/she
982written posts
Mariearned bits
offlinecurrently
Mari
Part of the Furniture
Mari Avatar
eternally tired
I keep wanting to make a site but all ideas I have are too vague or based on an obscure fandom of which the fanbase has no interest in forum RPs (from what I've gathered)

I really with someone in the Aether Eternius fanbase (or someone willing to learn about Aether Eternius) would help me make a site based on it, but that's not gonna happen ;;
last edit on May 10, 2020 16:45:43 GMT by Mari
pronounssorcerer
189written posts
troye saivonearned bits
offlinecurrently
troye saivon
troye saivon Avatar
we feel it with our whole body and soul
pharaoh leap Avatar
voice Avatar
Some others brought up the potential for custom template issues, but I also think required site templates kind of levels the playing field. People with no, or hard-to-read templates may struggle to find threads - because even though the community as a whole seems to recognize the "aesthetic value over writing/community value" thing as an issue, there are still people out there, and probably not that many less than before it was brought to light who still may not want to RP with people whose posts, which they must stare at for long periods of time, are not easy on the eyes. Conversely, a shiny shipper/wanted ad/even just regular post may draw more attention to a person who wouldn't have had quite so much otherwise - and while that's fine and dandy, others may feel slighted for not drawing the same crowd with similar quality content in the write, not the code.

If everyone uses the same templates (or no templates at all for anything), this becomes less of an issue because everyone's pulling from the same pool. Both are valid options; the latter may alienate those who aren't willing to completely part with templates, and the former may alienate those who aren't familiar with code enough to navigate them, but the principal remains for either one. There's no perfect solution to the issue because not everyone in the community is going to suddenly become a paragon of perfect RPing merit, but there are steps you can take to try to help shorten the gap. Does this help long term? I have no clue. Short term? I'd like to think so, at least. :O

i personally love the fact that site-temp codes are being condensed to just post-1,2,3etc codes bc god bless
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
wolfe Avatar
The Dragon Prince has the best opening 3 episodes I can remember from anywhere.

Animation quality is the only downside, but holy moly the rest of it is 10/10 and if the writing/structure remains this good and the animation improves this might be in contention for my favorite show ever.
If you're referring to how "choppy" some of the scenes are, that does get better! I don't remember if it got any better before season two, but it does improve \o/
write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW