write a reply

Sites You Want To See

pronounsshe/her
436written posts
offlinecurrently
cyanide darktearz 💀
cyanide darktearz 💀 Avatar
Has there ever been a panfandom rp that allows multiple versions of the same character but different points in time in their story/universes?

Like instead of allowing only one Naruto Uzumaki from either OG series, Shippuden, or Boruto, the sites allows all three to exist as different characters by different rpers.

This may get tricky to mod but I'd just like to read about the potential plot shenanigans that would ensue.
pronounsshe/her
151written posts
shanimalearned bits
offlinecurrently
shanimal
shanimal Avatar
of course i am for peace, of course i am for peace. one that suits me.
Has there ever been a panfandom rp that allows multiple versions of the same character but different points in time in their story/universes?

Like instead of allowing only one Naruto Uzumaki from either OG series, Shippuden, or Boruto, the sites allows all three to exist as different characters by different rpers.

This may get tricky to mod but I'd just like to read about the potential plot shenanigans that would ensue.

zugzwang will be allowing canon doubles in some circumstances, e.g. if we had a bunch of different people who wanted to play link across different zelda games they would be allowed to, or fbyleth and mbyleth from different routes in three houses. i'd probably have to think about the scenario your describing but our rule of thumb will be to ask the person who already has the character you'd like to double in play (because communication is always good.)

also i know i have talked a lot of talk about zz here JKSDNLFSJK but it's finally picking up again, hardest part was making a leveling/tiering system for gaining powers or memories back that wasn't unfair to rpg characters with 10,000,000 things while still being fair to those that have practically nothing.

frog on the floor
aliasfreiheit, microwaved burrito
pronounsany
1,539written posts
pharaoh leapearned bits
offlinecurrently
pharaoh leap
Administrator
pharaoh leap Avatar
i've been having some pretty dark thoughts.

This is probably a little different, but on the last panfandom site I ran, I played Yugi from the original Yu-Gi-Oh! manga (complete with vengeful "Yami Yugi" possessing him), and another member played Pharaoh Atem from the end of the Dark Side of Dimensions movie, and we had a thread where essentially the same person (Yami/Atem, more specifically) at different parts of their timeline got to interact, it was a LOT of fun, can confirm.

I think the main issue from this would be that people could use the system to their advantage - "Oh, the canon I want is taken? I'll take them from just an episode or two earlier in canon, staff can't complain then!" - but if you could have some work-around, and maybe even allow for same-canons from alternate timelines (if they're established in-canon, of course), this would be really neat. :eyes emoji: Maybe put restraints on how far apart a canon point must be before it's valid? Either way, support this idea whole-heartedly.

Anyway... Made in Abyss RP, please and thank you...... Please........ and thank you..................
last edit on Aug 7, 2019 19:44:26 GMT by pharaoh leap
phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,362written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
onlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
what do you want to know? my height, hobbies, quirks, the color of my underwear?
pharaoh leap Avatar
I think the main issue from this would be that people could use the system to their advantage - "Oh, the canon I want is taken? I'll take them from just an episode or two earlier in canon, staff can't complain then!"

honestly, this would be my biggest concern for it from a member perspective and a staff perspective. because like. i have been around more than a few fandoms, so i know some people would just. "oh someone has sasuke from naruto already? i'll just take him from like. three chapters earlier, it's fine." narrator voice "and it would not be fine."

i think the rule of thumb would more or less have to be that characters would have to have some kind of significant change to their backstory or motivation or other characterization to do this (as an example, taking a mcu!spiderman versus taking a spiderverse!spiderman or even an avengers!cap versus an infinity-war!cap or a civil-war!cap). but even then i know i would be wary as a member for if i don't want someone able to do that with my character (i have done too much time on tumblr so i'd be wary of any anxiety from duplicates or drama resulting because "so-and-so plays a better sasuke than you do!" or "you play a much better kirito than so-and-so does!"), but on the flip side, i know i wouldn't envy the poor staff at the inevitable whining over how "why can't i have xyz character, i really want them, this is a site where i can play duplicates!" because i just. know it would happen.

on a slightly related site i would like to see, personally, i would love to see a panfandom where you can take individual characters from different canon points. because listen. i want to watch mid-canon ed elric's joy at being able to hug a post-canon alphonse or maes hughes' utter confusion over being bear hugged by a post-canon roy mustang who won't let go of him. and i want to thread out pre-nibelheim sephiroth getting his rear end kicked by a post-game cloud strife while mid-crisis-core zack fair tries to stop him before all the advent-children remnants stop him so they can watch their fake-dad get beat up by a tiny chocobo. please just. just let me have this. i want it so badly. with every fiber of my being. please.
last edit on Aug 7, 2019 21:02:29 GMT by Kuroya

pronounsshe/her
151written posts
shanimalearned bits
offlinecurrently
shanimal
shanimal Avatar
Kuroya Avatar
pharaoh leap Avatar
I think the main issue from this would be that people could use the system to their advantage - "Oh, the canon I want is taken? I'll take them from just an episode or two earlier in canon, staff can't complain then!"
honestly, this would be my biggest concern for it from a member perspective and a staff perspective. because like. i have been around more than a few fandoms, so i know some people would just. "oh someone has sasuke from naruto already? i'll just take him from like. three chapters earlier, it's fine." narrator voice "and it would not be fine."

i think the rule of thumb would more or less have to be that characters would have to have some kind of significant change to their backstory or motivation or other characterization to do this (as an example, taking a mcu!spiderman versus taking a spiderverse!spiderman or even an avengers!cap versus an infinity-war!cap or a civil-war!cap). but even then i know i would be wary as a member for if i don't want someone able to do that with my character (i have done too much time on tumblr so i'd be wary of any anxiety from duplicates or drama resulting because "so-and-so plays a better sasuke than you do!" or "you play a much better kirito than so-and-so does!"), but on the flip side, i know i wouldn't envy the poor staff at the inevitable whining over how "why can't i have xyz character, i really want them, this is a site where i can play duplicates!" because i just. know it would happen.

on a slightly related site i would like to see, personally, i would love to see a panfandom where you can take individual characters from different canon points. because listen. i want to watch mid-canon ed elric's joy at being able to hug a post-canon alphonse or maes hughes' utter confusion over being bear hugged by a post-canon roy mustang who won't let go of him. and i want to thread out pre-nibelheim sephiroth getting his rear end kicked by a post-game cloud strife while mid-crisis-core zack fair tries to stop him before all the advent-children remnants stop him so they can watch their fake-dad get beat up by a tiny chocobo. please just. just let me have this. i want it so badly. with every fiber of my being. please.

oh absolutely at this-- allowing someone to just take a taken character from a chapter earlier is what i wouldn't allow. that just causes hurt feelings especially since panfandom has a propensity for... let's say petty arguments? of "well i think character X is like this and any other interpretations are invalid and you're awful." canon doubles have to have a valid reason for existing. things i would allow would be the different link incarnations, male vs. female player character doubles (e.g. f!robin and m!robin can exist on a board), young xehanort vs. master xehanort (since their canon allows for them to be in the same room at the same time.)

i don't think i've ever been in a panfandom rp where the canon points HAVE to be most current though? that's always been part of the fun for me: having characters from different points in the series interact. (and is something i'll be allowing on ZZ obviously.) nothing is more fun than having your character break the bad news to another that they dead. they super dead.

4,362written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
onlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
what do you want to know? my height, hobbies, quirks, the color of my underwear?
shanimal Avatar
oh absolutely at this-- allowing someone to just take a taken character from a chapter earlier is what i wouldn't allow. that just causes hurt feelings especially since panfandom has a propensity for... let's say petty arguments? of "well i think character X is like this and any other interpretations are invalid and you're awful." canon doubles have to have a valid reason for existing. things i would allow would be the different link incarnations, male vs. female player character doubles (e.g. f!robin and m!robin can exist on a board), young xehanort vs. master xehanort (since their canon allows for them to be in the same room at the same time.)

i don't think i've ever been in a panfandom rp where the canon points HAVE to be most current though? that's always been part of the fun for me: having characters from different points in the series interact. (and is something i'll be allowing on ZZ obviously.) nothing is more fun than having your character break the bad news to another that they dead. they super dead.

i've actually seen a lot of panfandoms where it's stated somewhat explicitly that you're supposed to take all of the characters from their most recent canon point, and a good few others where that seems to be the general expectation (or at least that most of the characters all come from around the same point). and i haven't seen one in a long time that actually went out of their way to say "oh yeah, no, you can take characters from whatever point in canon you want, we don't really care, just have fun with it".

but i've also not been on a panfandom in a good while. i keep an eye around them since i do some day hope to be able to bring back some of my old characters, but. i've just. not found one that i was really able to join in a long time.

pronounsshe/her
151written posts
shanimalearned bits
offlinecurrently
shanimal
shanimal Avatar
Kuroya Avatar
i've actually seen a lot of panfandoms where it's stated somewhat explicitly that you're supposed to take all of the characters from their most recent canon point, and a good few others where that seems to be the general expectation (or at least that most of the characters all come from around the same point). and i haven't seen one in a long time that actually went out of their way to say "oh yeah, no, you can take characters from whatever point in canon you want, we don't really care, just have fun with it".

but i've also not been on a panfandom in a good while. i keep an eye around them since i do some day hope to be able to bring back some of my old characters, but. i've just. not found one that i was really able to join in a long time.

oh dang really? maybe i've just been out of the game for a while (been doing ocs only for two years now) but i definitely agree it's a lot more fun, even if it's a little more chaotic, to allow different canon points wherever.

i'll be posting an interest check for early reserves/early discord access hype once ZZ is closer to opening, should be soon now that we have some technical things figured out!

frog on the floor
pronounsany
1,539written posts
pharaoh leapearned bits
offlinecurrently
pharaoh leap
Administrator
pharaoh leap Avatar
Kuroya Avatar

Wait, is this not... IS THIS NOT... HOW PANFANDOMS ARE???? GENERALLY????? What nightmarish sites have you been on that they didn't allow you to choose your own canon points, that's half of the fun - Always go for the angstiest route, huehuehue.

Trying to think of fun spins on the panfandom idea... I know there have been some sites in the past that change setting after so many days, or simply allow for a huge amount of areas (all over the world, for example). Maybe a panfandom where, instead of characters from all walks of life getting sucked into one specific setting, they get teleported into one specific pre-established universe, and what that universe is changes after so many months of RPing there? So, like, everyone winds up in the Pokemon world - then, suddenly, it's BnHA - then, after that, it's off to Madoka Magica. It would be neat if it was a sort of... Tsubasa-type thing where the characters can inherit whatever powers come with that universe, too (so you'd have a starter Pokemon, gain a quirk, have the ability to contract with an Incubator, for example, but those 'mons/powers only last so long as you are in that universe), but the constant turn-over and moderation of those kinds of powers would probably get too wild on staff's end. X'D

A little more concrete idea, where characters are stripped of their powers and teleported to the base of a massive tower that they are challenged to ascend, where the promise of returning home is only granted on reaching the top floor. Deadly traps and monsters the whole way, of course. Characters who don't want to go back forming, like, mini societies inside the floors and trying to start life over. The souls of those who died along the way becoming the very monsters that torment the ones who just want to return home. ... Technically doesn't even need to be panfandom, but - *wheezes*
last edit on Aug 8, 2019 4:51:11 GMT by pharaoh leap
4,362written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
onlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar

nope. nope. i have. i have looked deep into the abyss of many panfandom sites. a lot of them have said that they want your character from the most recent pieces of canon material. so many that, by this point, if i see a site that doesn't explicitly say "you can take your character from any point in their timeline", i just. automatically assume it's that way. because i just. feel like that should really be something explained in their lore, so by not doing so, it's either not something they're really wanting to deal with or it's not something they've really dealt with as a concept on the site, which has me leery of being the first (especially since the main character i typically want to do it with is sephiroth, who is near and dear to me, and i just. don't want to invest all that time and effort into an app and an account if i just get denied or iced out because i want humanized pre-nibelheim sephiroth instead of psycho god-complex sephiroth and everyone else wants their post-canon ff7 characters and doesn't want to touch me because i don't play my character in the same timeframe they do).

i try to keep an eye on most panfandoms out there in the hopes of being able to one day have my nice things once again, so i usually am somewhat on top of them, but i have yet to bear fruit so. yeah. me, to the universe: please, for the love of naga, just let me have a site with activity requirements i can actually meet and character restrictions that don't lock me out of what i want to do, i beg of you.

on an entirely unrelated note though, i would honestly love if there was an animanga resource site that's on jcink. especially if it actually has like. a really good sortable matrix add-on to the ad directory. since it would be so nice to be able to just. "animanga faceclaims. 18+ site. 3/3/3 rating. jcink premium host. sci-fi/fantasy genre. fandom setting. lax activity (one post per account per month or less)." and then browse through the results at the end of it. or alternatively, mourn the lack of them when you are done whittling down.
last edit on Aug 8, 2019 14:44:06 GMT by Kuroya

praise the cats!
aliasthomas, breezescodes
pronounshe/him
888written posts
bcearned bits
offlinecurrently
bc
Summer '19 Bingo Completionist
bc Avatar
this is my murder mittens ^-^

i'm basically on a panfandom site with that premise, except the removal of powers. that would def be an interesting twist. for many characters, their powers are kind of integral to them, so seeing how they deal w/o powers? fun. i'd be lowkey concerned about what effects that would have on some characters, though, since some only EXIST because of their abilities. you could add stipulations, but they might prove troublesome down the line. idk, but yes.
pronounsshe/her
436written posts
offlinecurrently
cyanide darktearz 💀
pharaoh leap Avatar

Maybe a panfandom where, instead of characters from all walks of life getting sucked into one specific setting, they get teleported into one specific pre-established universe, and what that universe is changes after so many months of RPing there? So, like, everyone winds up in the Pokemon world - then, suddenly, it's BnHA - then, after that, it's off to Madoka Magica.

The image of a FE3H Raphael being the most wholesome Pokemon trainer only to become the most wholesome muscle magical girl is something I never knew I needed until now. Muscles over soul gems
frog on the floor
pronounsany
1,539written posts
pharaoh leapearned bits
offlinecurrently
pharaoh leap
Administrator
pharaoh leap Avatar
Kuroya Avatar
so many that, by this point, if i see a site that doesn't explicitly say "you can take your character from any point in their timeline", i just. automatically assume it's that way.

This may be totally useless information because you do it, anyway, but I think the bigger component isn't so much stating in lore or rules that characters can be taken from anywhere - because I don't usually see that, either - so much as checking if there's a "canon point" section in the app, since if everyone is supposed to be taken from their most recent canon point, that app section is completely irrelevant. Now, granted, there will be places where MOST people play their canons from their most recent canon point, but that doesn't make it strictly so that YOU have to. If no one from the FFVII cast wants to RP with you, just... don't RP with them, plenty of other canon fish in the sea, sdljkfhkfjsh. I've never come across a panfandom site that didn't have that "canon point" section in their app, but while I do 'site stalk' a lot, I do imagine you've got me beat in that area, especially if you're specifically on the hunt for a good panfandom. *sweats*

That's not a site I want to see, UUUUUUUUUUUUH, Subspace Emissary RP??? Realize the dream of my tiny self. Warriors RP, but you're humans, and they're weird, like... kingdoms instead of cat 'clans', going out hunting and fighting for territory, yada yada. RP where you have a "soulmate", but instead of wanting to kiss them, you have to KILL them in order to not die yourself past age ___. Pokemon RP where instead of using Pokemon, you use Gijinkas to battle in something like the meister-weapon duos from Soul Eater (so one gijinka per "trainer", and none of the awkward, like... "I own you" nonsense that might occur???). Literally any dystopic cyberpunk RP, I want social unrest and ROBOTS! 👏