aliasdismay
pronounsshe/her
445written posts
fossaearned bits
offlinecurrently
fossa
fossa Avatar
he's suppose to be DEAD
how do u coders come up with ideas? do you look at anything in particular? i have a pinterest board i use and i browse tumblr themes a lot, but i always worry about copying an idea a little too much.
pronounsshe/her
427written posts
offlinecurrently
cyanide darktearz 💀
cyanide darktearz 💀 Avatar
Sometimes songs and MVs have a certain feel/look that inspires me.

Or the the design of real life objects. Like t-shirts. Or Arizona cans. Pretty packaging in general can inspire me for colors or if the have a certain feel to them and I want to try something that has the same feel.

aliaspor, sef, jdawg
pronounsshe | her
523written posts
porsefearned bits
offlinecurrently
porsef
Part of the Furniture
porsef Avatar
chichi wo moge
I'm controversial and I draw a lot of inspiration from designs posted here or on Pinterest. A lot of things I code are a mash up of a bunch of different skins, templates, and websites that I've found. All in all, I always put my own spin on everything so I'm not just outright copying.

Otherwise, I can sometimes "feel" a design out by listening to music or while watching an anime / show / movie. I will always end up grabbing design elements I like in my head during this process but I feel I make my best work when I code spontaneously rather than planning it out.
praise the cats!
aliasthomas, breezescodes
pronounshe/him
820written posts
bcearned bits
offlinecurrently
bc
Summer '19 Bingo Completionist
bc Avatar
this is my murder mittens ^-^
idk what this "pinterest" and "references" nonsense is. scratch that, idk what this "design" nonsense is. no sir, i just start writing some code, pick a random ass font that doesn't even look nice from google fonts, pass out for a few hours, and then oh-look there's a code.

i will admit that i do tend to lean toward using design elements i've seen. i mean, usually i kinda spin them into a whole other thing because i literally just do whatever the fuck first comes to mind, but otherwise,,, actually, yeah that basically epitomizes my philosphy: do whatever the fuck first comes to mind LOL
last edit on Oct 26, 2019 2:46:45 GMT by bc
pronounsShe, Her
128written posts
punkiearned bits
offlinecurrently
punki
punki Avatar
all of this mess is just my attempt to know the worth of my life; made of precious metals inside
you know, i'm not real sure now that i think about it

Music is a pretty big thing for me when I really want to get in the groove, especially the emotional meaning behind it. To that end, pretty pictures that pair well with said music are also very important.

Drawing on other designers' work is actually pretty common in pretty much all creative pursuits, but idk if I'd call that my "inspiration." I usually look at other people's stuff and change up my music when I feel stuck.

So I guess what I really do is feel it out, in a way? I find a groove, usually by listening to music and just coding something to get myself started, and I do whatever feels... right. And frequently I sit back and assess whether or not what I've done so far feels right, and if it doesn't, I back up and try something different. Trial and error is my friend.

this method tends to involve a lot of scrapped project attempts though
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
i always look for inspiration from a photo or music as well. the right tempo or beat or excellent use of colors and tones? i'm sailing. other than that, i like looking for concepts/layouts that are popular within all the rp communities and adapting them to what i like. for the most part, my coding is simple (though i wish i had the confidence to challenge myself and make something more complicated) and i'd like to say it's a mix of "this looks cool i can do that + this looks cool, but we'll see." LOL

tl;dr it's motivating for me to find a song or an image, think about how it makes me feel, choose colors, and see where that takes me.
aliasiceguin
pronounsshe (doesn't mind)
31written posts
iceguinearned bits
offlinecurrently
iceguin
iceguin Avatar
Hey there, have a few sites from my ever-growing collection of bookmarks that I tend to use as a springboard:

Also, if you're seeking inspiration for rp-forum-specific components but also want to divert a bit from common trends, French RP sites have some pretty imaginative aesthetics that I don't see much (or at all) on English ProBoards/JCink forums.
932written posts
gimmickearned bits
offlinecurrently
gimmick
Part of the Furniture
gimmick Avatar
All birds and men are sure to die but songs may live forever
I go on Designspiration and look up editorial designs and print layouts—they have the raddest compositions and typography
last edit on May 24, 2020 4:09:03 GMT by gimmick
pronounsthey/them
127written posts
vvvaporwavesearned bits
offlinecurrently
vvvaporwaves
vvvaporwaves Avatar
[mitski voice] nobody nobody nobody nobody nobody
google, pinterest, behance, dribbble, codepen, i guess? i generally have a good idea of what i want to create so i search for things that can help me narrow my vision in terms of tone, atmosphere, colours, etc. and then i just start iterating until i find something i like.

i also draw a lot of inspiration from music (+videos), photography, movies, posters/print media, etc. stuff that doesn't necessarily have to do with web media but could be fun to translate!
last edit on May 25, 2020 20:21:38 GMT by vvvaporwaves
pronounsshe/her
79written posts
pearearned bits
offlinecurrently
pear
pear Avatar
sometimes my coding comes from wanting to exercise a certain new feature i'm learning, like when i was trying to learn hovers, i made a ton of templates with hovers. or when i was playing around with transforms, i made a whole skin using transforms (and later learned about svg path builder orz)

most of the time i pull inspo from my brain. i just doodle on sticky notes until i have something i like. or i spend a whole day just visualizing a design in my head between work and chores and stuff. sometimes i'll pull inspo from other sites or templates, but i try to stay away from that because i've seen a lot of people being accused of plagiarism that i'm afraid that it'll happen to me.

thank you to everybody with links to design sites! those are definitely things i've been meaning to get use more for inspiration.
write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW