phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,237written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
at this, the world's end, do we cast off tomorrow~!
been getting back into the dark-hunters series via audiobooks at work, and it's been a real trip seeing what terribly off-base accents the reader gives any of the male leads (and also trying to badly explain the plot to one of my coworkers to watch his ever-increasing disappointment at why these books exist as concepts)

932written posts
gimmickearned bits
offlinecurrently
gimmick
Part of the Furniture
gimmick Avatar
All birds and men are sure to die but songs may live forever
cae Avatar

my year of rest and relaxation by ottessa moshfegh was fun. this is long ( not as long as it could be ) bc this book had a Lot of passages i enjoyed.

Say no more; I can make it longer for you (and also not as long as it could be)

I wanted to hold on to the house the way you'd hold on to a love letter. It was proof that I had not always been completely alone in this world. But I think I was also holding on to the loss, to the emptiness of the house itself, as though to affirm that it was better to be alone than to be stuck with people who were supposed to love you, yet couldn't.

She wasn't resting. She was not in a state of peace. She was in no state, not being. The peace to be had, I thought, watching them pull the sheet over her head, was mine.

I felt myself float up and away, higher and higher into the ether until my body was just an anecdote, a symbol, a portrait hanging in another world.

I fell past whole galaxies, mercurial waves of light strobing through my body, blinding me over and over, my brain throbbing from the pressure, my eyes leaking as though each teardrop shed a vision of my past.

'We're mostly empty space. We're mostly nothing. Tra-la-la. And we're all the same nothingness. You and me, just filling the space with nothingness. We could walk through walls if we put our minds to it, people say. What they don't mention is that walking through a wall would most likely kill you. Don't forget that."

I may have read Mysterious Skin because of your post awhile back too.

More recently, I finished Smoke and Mirrors by Neil Gaiman to try and give his writing another shot because American Gods bored me half to death way back when. Was better

I could go down to the sea tonight, drag myself down there on my hands and knees. Give myself to the water and the dark. And to the girl. Let her suck the meat from off these tangled bones, transmute me to something incorruptible and ivory: to something rich and strange. But that would be foolish.

I feel dirtied. I feel tarnished. I feel befouled. Perhaps it is true that all that happens is in accordance with Your will, and thus it is good. But sometimes you leave blood on Your instruments.

Lies and half-truths fall like snow, covering the things that I remember, the things I saw. A landscape, unrecognizable after a snowfall; that is what she has made of my life.

last edit on Apr 27, 2022 2:20:22 GMT by gimmick
pronounsShe/Her
75written posts
zytlearned bits
offlinecurrently
zytl
zytl Avatar
If you're waiting until you feel talented enough to make it, you'll never make it.

Carrie by Stephen King. A part of me is kinda attatched to the protagnoist, Carrie, since the bullying resonated with personal experiences (but unfortunately not the telekenisis part 😔). 

It might be a turn-off for some people given some of its more explicit scenes, but I adore how King makes the reader feel what the character is going through (case being, Carrie describes her face as 'bovine' while another character says she's not unpleasant to look at, which isn't much, but it's an upgrade). So read for King's expressive prose if not anything else ;)

The record changer clicked; another record dropped down. In the sudden, brief silence, she heard something within her turn over. Perhaps only her soul.

---------------
She was still uncomfortable about her own motives and afraid to examine them too deeply.

---------------
It was either laugh or cry, and who could bring themselves to cry over Carrie after all those years?

last edit on Apr 30, 2022 22:11:09 GMT by zytl
take it easy.
aliascae
pronounsshe/her
534written posts
caeearned bits
offlinecurrently
cae
Part of the Furniture
cae Avatar
let's live our lives heroically / let's live our lives with style
slowly reading the poppy war. it's a Huge complicated book with politics and intrigue and drama and magic but also a lot of funny dialogue. e.g. the rapport between rin (incredible, 10/10 protag) and her bestie:

Meals became silent and reserved affairs. Everyone ate with a book held before his or her nose. If any students ventured to
strike up a conversation, the rest of the table quickly and violently shushed them. In short, they made themselves miserable.

“Sometimes I think this is as bad as the Speer Massacre,” Kitay said cheerfully. “And then I think—nah. Nothing is as bad
as the casual genocide of an entire race! But this [studying] is pretty bad.”

“Kitay, please shut up.”

---
“I wonder what a Federation soldier looks like,” Kitay said as they descended the mountain to pick up sharpened weapons from
the armory.

“They have arms and legs, I’m guessing. Maybe even a head.”

---

“It’s sort of exciting, really,” Kitay said.

“Yes,” said Rin. “We’re about to be invaded by our centuries-old enemy after they breached a peace treaty that has maintained
a fragile geopolitical stability for two decades. So very exciting.”

“At least now we know we have job security,” said Kitay. “Everyone wants more soldiers.”

“Could you be a little less glib about this?”

“Could you be less depressing?”

“Could we move a bit faster?” asked the magistrate.

pronounsShe/Her
75written posts
zytlearned bits
offlinecurrently
zytl
zytl Avatar
If you're waiting until you feel talented enough to make it, you'll never make it.
cae Avatar
slowly reading the poppy war. it's a Huge complicated book with politics and intrigue and drama and magic but also a lot of funny dialogue. e.g. the rapport between rin (incredible, 10/10 protag) and her bestie:

Meals became silent and reserved affairs. Everyone ate with a book held before his or her nose. If any students ventured to
strike up a conversation, the rest of the table quickly and violently shushed them. In short, they made themselves miserable.

“Sometimes I think this is as bad as the Speer Massacre,” Kitay said cheerfully. “And then I think—nah. Nothing is as bad
as the casual genocide of an entire race! But this [studying] is pretty bad.”

“Kitay, please shut up.”

---
“I wonder what a Federation soldier looks like,” Kitay said as they descended the mountain to pick up sharpened weapons from
the armory.

“They have arms and legs, I’m guessing. Maybe even a head.”

---

“It’s sort of exciting, really,” Kitay said.

“Yes,” said Rin. “We’re about to be invaded by our centuries-old enemy after they breached a peace treaty that has maintained
a fragile geopolitical stability for two decades. So very exciting.”

“At least now we know we have job security,” said Kitay. “Everyone wants more soldiers.”

“Could you be a little less glib about this?”

“Could you be less depressing?”

“Could we move a bit faster?” asked the magistrate.

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH OH MY GOD I LOVE LOVE LOVE THE POPPY WAR TRILOGYYYYYY

Believe me darling, it's only gonna get better from the Sinegard arc. Currently, I'm finished the second book (The Dragon Republic) and IT WAS DELICIOUS. The tone gets wayy dark, and it's not afraid to get political, and it's also not afraid to show us horrible sides of the human nature, even, —especially if it comes from Rin.
Also? Venka becomes best girl.

I've also finished reading Les Miserables by the chad Victor Hugo in French for school, and I gotta say, prose hits different in another language 😳 (The book is BEAUTIFULLY written if you ignore the slighty off-putting romance between Marius and Cosette)

Et, quoi qu’il fît, il retombait toujours sur ce poignant dilemme qui était au fond de sa rêverie :– rester dans le paradis, et y devenir démon !rentrer dans l’enfer, et y devenir ange !

Rough Translation: And whatever he did, he fell back endlessly into this poignant dilemma that lay at the bottom of his nightmares: to remain in paradise and therefore become a demon! To hark back to the hell, and therefore become an angel!

last edit on Jul 3, 2022 1:54:40 GMT by zytl
take it easy.
aliascae
pronounsshe/her
534written posts
caeearned bits
offlinecurrently
cae
Part of the Furniture
cae Avatar
let's live our lives heroically / let's live our lives with style
heaven, by mieko kawakami.

screenshot too large 2 post

The words that filled the class broke apart before entering my ears. I sat all day. I couldn’t remember how to be strong. Like a stranger, I observed my body weakening by degrees. Yet as my body drained, the letters from Kojima offered a strange magic, a nourishing power that kept me breathing. Whenever I read them, at least for the moment, there was nothing else.

---

My pulse crunched in my ear, like wet sand. Like if I stuck my finger in, I could have felt it. This was the first time I experienced panic as a sound.

---

At the table, the TV did all the talking, a labor-saving device just like the dishwasher, freeing us from any obligation to converse. This is what I always thought when we were all together.

last edit on Oct 23, 2022 3:55:57 GMT by cae
932written posts
gimmickearned bits
offlinecurrently
gimmick
Part of the Furniture
gimmick Avatar
A trilogy: Jade City, Jade War, and Jade Legacy by Fonda Lee, featuring gangs and a simple but intriguing power system that could be fun to try in rp

It seemed unthinkable that she would never again feel the cool, heavy texture of his presence. Yet there it was—a truth more immutable and unforgiving than gravity on a falling body.

The possibility of death was like the weather—you could make attempts to predict it, but you would likely be wrong, and no one would change their most important plans due to threat of rain.

His futile anger had solidified into dignified resignation—the expression of a captive bear coming to the realization that it must debase itself to eat.
no angel
alias██████
pronounszimzala/bim
171written posts
ace.earned bits
offlinecurrently
ace.
ace. Avatar
I took a little piece of your heart, don't hate me.
(re)reading slaughterhouse 5 (again) because i'm trying to ape the author's style (again)

It is so short and jumbled and jangled, Sam, because there is nothing intelligent to say about a massacre. Everybody is supposed to be dead, to never say anything or want anything ever again. Everything is supposed to be very quiet after a massacre, and it always is, except for the birds.

--

“I say, ‘Why don’t you write an anti-glacier book instead?’”

What he meant, of course, was that there would always be wars, that they were as easy to stop as glaciers. I believe that, too.

And even if wars didn’t keep coming like glaciers, there would still be plain old death.

--

I looked through the Gideon Bible in my motel room for tales of great destruction.

The sun was risen upon the Earth when Lot entered into Zo-ar , I read . Then the Lord rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the Lord out of Heaven; and He overthrew those cities, and all the plain, and all the inhabitants of the cities, and that which grew upon the ground.

So it goes. Those were vile people in both those cities, as is well known. The world was better off without them. And Lot’s wife, of course, was told not to look back where all those people and their homes had been. But she did look back, and I love her for that, because it was so human. So she was turned to a pillar of salt. So it goes.

last edit on Dec 30, 2022 20:22:47 GMT by ace.
932written posts
gimmickearned bits
offlinecurrently
gimmick
Part of the Furniture
gimmick Avatar
First up, the short story anthology Burning Your Boats by Angela Carter.

Petals dropped from a red rose in a silver bowl on to the low, round, blood-coloured mahogany table with a soft, faint, exhausted sound, as of a pigeon's fart.

--
He told me not to kill him. That was how he reminded me I could kill him, if I wanted to. Up till then, I had not wanted to but when he called me his murderer, I became so. He sealed his own fate. It was his own fault, what happened.

--
Before his sons' bewildered eyes, their father began to grow insubstantial. He unbecame. All at once he lost his outlines and began to waver on the air. It was twilit evening. Mama slept on the bed with a fresh mauve bud of flesh in a basket on the chair beside her. The air shuddered with the beginning of absence. He said not one word to his boys but went on evaporating until he melted clean away, leaving behind him in the room as proof he had been there only a puddle of puke on the splintered floorboards.

--
Did she die of the loneliness of the prairies? Or was it anguish that killed her, anguish, and nostalgia for the close, warm, neighborly life she had left behind her when she came to this emptiness. Neither. She died of the pressure of that vast sky, that weighed down upon her and crushed her lungs until she could not breathe any more, as if the prairies were the bedrock of an ocean in which she drowned.

Bonus anecdote of me, laughing at one story having four pages of glossary despite being only a page long, only to see this two lines in:

Here the sloops of war and the dollymops flash it to spie a dowry of parny; there the bonneters cooled their longs and shorts in the hazard drums.

In every snickert and ginnel, bone-grubbers, rufflers, shivering-jemmies, anglers, clapperdogeons, peterers, sneeze-lurkers and Whip Jacks with their morts, out of the picaroon, fox and flimp and ogle.

Second, On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous by Ocean Vuong.

I am twenty-eight years old, 5ft 4in tall, 112lbs. I am handsome at exactly three angles and deadly from everywhere else. I am writing you from inside a body that used to be yours. Which is to say, I am writing as a son.

--
To them it was just my crazy grandma mumbling away again. But you and I could hear it. Eventually you put down your slice of pineapple cake—untouched, the glasses clinking as the corpses, fleshed from Lan's mouth, piled up around us.

--
The bullet was always here, the boy thinks, older even than himself—and his bones, tendons, and veins had merely wrapped around the metal shard, sealing it inside him. It wasn't me, the boy thinks, who was inside my mother's womb, but this bullet, this seed I bloomed around. Even now, as the cold creeps in around him, he feels it poking out from his chest, slightly tenting his sweater. He feels for the protrusion but, as usual, finds nothing. It's receded, he thinks. It wants to stay inside me. It is nothing without me. Because a bullet without a body is a song without ears.

--
The phrase with its sound of a boot step sinking, then lifted, from mud. The slick muck of it wetting our tongues as we apologized ourselves back to making our living. Again and again, I write to you regretting my tongue.

--
Something in him knew she'd be there. That she was waiting. Because that's what mothers do. They wait. They stand still until their children belong to someone else.

--
We were exchanging truths, I realized, which is to say, we were cutting one another.

--
The children, the veal, they stand very still because tenderness depends on how little the world touches you. To stay tender, the weight of your life cannot lean on your bones.

--
I never wanted to build a "body of work," but to preserve these, our bodies, breathing and unaccounted for, inside the work. Take it or leave it. The body, I mean.

--
I wanted the word to fall, like a screw in a guillotine, but it didn't. His voice, it went higher and higher, and my hands, they grew pinker with each inflection. I watched my skin intensify until, at last, I looked up—and it was dawn. It was over. I was blazed in the blood of light.

--
Despite my vocabulary, my books, knowledge, I find myself folded against the far wall, bereft. I watch two daughters care for their own with an inertia equal to gravity. I sit, with all my theories, metaphors, and equations, Shakespeare and Milton, Barthes, Du Fu, and Homer, masters of death who can't, at last, teach me how to touch my dead.

--
The howl returns, the sound deep and vacuous, as if it had walls, something you could hide in. It must be wounded. Only something in pain could make a sound you could enter.

And this is me trying to keep these brief. Both of them had a heck ton more that I liked
last edit on Jan 3, 2023 6:32:27 GMT by gimmick
45written posts
integrityearned bits
offlinecurrently
integrity
integrity Avatar
I'm currently reading a book called "The Silence That Binds Us." It's been very impactful book on me, because it tells the story of a high school asian girl dealing with racism and white supremacy for the first time after her brother dies. It gives me a lot of perspective. Also, the story itself is amazing, being cute at times but also sad and mourning at the right times. I can't wait to read the rest; hopefully a 10/10.
write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW