[PB] Making User Profiles into Applications

0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
So, I think the title pretty much sums up what I need help with, lmao. But yeah, I've seen a few sites who do this, and would like to know, too, how to do it. So, essentially, rather than having the application be a template of some sort, I want to know how to make the user profile into an application instead. 

I assume it has a lot to do with custom fields and such, but how do I code it to make it look nice on the profile page? Like, rather than just a list of custom profile fields, I'd like it to look nice; For example, a box here for personality, but the age could just be a small field. Is it similar to how one code a mini profile, in terms of the layout of the custom profile fields? Is it similar to coding anything else in terms of a skin, or does it require something more, something else?

If my explanation is shitty, feel free to tell me, or ask, haha. 
praise the cats!
aliasthomas, breezescodes
pronounshe/him
820written posts
bcearned bits
offlinecurrently
bc
Summer '19 Bingo Completionist
bc Avatar
this is my murder mittens ^-^
hellhellhellhell

this is utter hell. but it is a path that will probably serve you well. ignore the dramatics, but if i understand your question, there's no big technical differences between coding the profile vs other parts of the skin.
stultifera navis
aliasnines
pronounsshe/her
535written posts
ninelieearned bits
offlinecurrently
ninelie
Part of the Furniture
ninelie Avatar
VOLITION [Medium: Success]
Like what Breezes said, it's just coding one big template and then plugging in your custom fields' variables appropriately. You can employ the use of scripts (at least, on Jcink) to make it more customized, or employ member group vars to tweak the appearance further depending on the user account's set membergroup, but it's just that. One big, complicated template.
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
So, essentially, if you know how to skin, it's doable, albeit a lot of work and tinkering? A bit of a headache, but a lot less complicated than I thought, from the sound of it. Thanks, guys! I really appreciate it!

Would custom fields work similarly on the profile as they would when coding a mini-profile? For example,

{foreach $[user.mini_custom_field]}{if $[user.mini_custom_field.name] == "CUSTOM FIELD 1"}$[user.mini_custom_field.value]{/if}{/foreach}
Could I use the same variables on the profile section, or does it use something specific for the profile area?

Also, if anyone has code they wouldn't mind sharing (I wouldn't use it, of course. I'd simply study it to see how it works), that'd be awesome! But I totally get it if people would prefer not to share, too.

Thanks!
frog on the floor
aliasfreiheit, microwaved burrito
pronounsany
1,502written posts
pharaoh leapearned bits
offlinecurrently
pharaoh leap
Administrator
pharaoh leap Avatar
i've been having some pretty dark thoughts.
I feel so bad for being a bubble burster, but while profile applications are possible in Proboards, there's a big difference between them and Jcink profiles. There's no real cap on Jcink profiles, be it character cap or number of custom fields, but Proboards has both a character limit and a limited number of if statements (which are required for custom field usage), limiting the amount of fields you can put into your 'app', as well as the length of the information that can go into said fields. For reference, I tested out a very basic outline of what a profile app may have looked like back when I wanted to code one myself, but it cut off my biography area at not even five hundred words. That might seem like plenty, but that was without filling out any other major fields (like personality, since fitting in personality traits would probably cap your if statements). Pretty much the only sort of app I could see working is a very simple/minimalistic one.

To answer your question, though, yes! User profile custom fields and mini-profile custom fields are written the same way. Bonus advice is that the User Profile template encompasses every tab in the profile (so it's stuff that'll show up even on the notification page, for example), whereas the Summary template is stuff that only appears on the base profile page.

If you'd like, I can send you Revo's current user profile code over Discord if you wanna poke around. Shoot me a DM over there if that sounds good to you. o>
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
bc Avatar
it might be possible to append html tho w/ javascript/jquery to get around this limitation, but idk. haven't played w/ it really.
Yeah, I think this might be true, because I've seen a site us an application and their profile, and it didn't exactly strike me as limiting in any way. There was plenty of custom fields and several boxes for paragraphs of text, though, I'm not nearly skilled enough for that to sound like an option to me xd
3,084written posts
Kitten4uearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kitten4u
Part of the Furniture
Kitten4u Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","infoBG"]
[attr="class","infoBG2"]
[attr="class","infoBack"]
[attr="class","infoTitle"][attr="class","fa fa-star-o"] threadarchived
[attr="class","infoDiv"]

[attr="class","infoBody"]

To keep the forum clean and so people know that all threads in certain areas are current and that the OP is likely to still have interest, we archive threads that haven't gotten posts for 2 weeks. This thread is being archived for that reason. If you would like this thread reopened, contact a staff member.