write a reply

a penny for your thoughts?

0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
Hii, me again ♡

so this is going to sound incredibly stupid and inexperienced, but I need y'all's help.

I'm running a supernatural slice of life the first time in my life (the au inuyasha one), and I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. I am in love with the idea and the characters and the setting, all of it, but I am at a complete loss for what to do for events, contests, and/or ooc prompts.

Some sites I have been on formerly have done like an ooc bingo event that encouraged different characters to meet through common starter prompts, and the goal was to achieve "bingo". Other sites have utilized "teams" and put different characters in different teams, and each post/thread equals a point. Festivals/Parties/Dances also seem like a popular ic event for characters to get to know each other, and while I would love to do a festival, I want to add some sort of incentive to it.

Like, what kind of reward could I give out besides pixelated prizes? Should I utilize currency, and open a shop to allow players to buy a new attack, unlock a new location, etc? If I did the currency/shop idea, what kind of things could members buy for themselves and their characters?

The site just opened a couple of weeks ago, and I feel like a couple of threads have already introduced characters. I'm wanting to do something that could open the door for a bigger event in the future, or could benefit characters in a bigger way than simply giving them shipping opportunities. It would be neat to make it into an ooc game/contest or something, but I don't have any experience in that sort of area.

help, please?
phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,237written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
at this, the world's end, do we cast off tomorrow~!
honestly, i think you're overthinking it too much.

most people who are interested in slice-of-life modern fantasy things aren't really looking for a whole lot more than cool relationship dynamics and fun threads. they're not really wanting to deal with a lot of the micromanagement that comes from site shops or leveling, which means putting them in is either going to attract a demographic i don't really think you want (aka the people who do enjoy gameifying their rp experience), become an annoyance for your community (such as if you locked certain high profile character types behind a shop purchase), or end up neglected entirely because it's largely a moot point (like if you could purchase a forever fc reserve but no one really needs it or wants it).

if you really desperately feel the need to add something, hold regular thread roulette events (so people are sort of forced out of threading in their own little bubbles with the same partners) or just the occasional light event in general for a brief change of pace or add in some cute little collectable mini-sprites for things like "you've threaded with x character type!" or "you're in a relationship! cute!" because honestly a lot of people tend to really like stuff like that and they're neat little collectables that can be rewards without being a pain for newbies to get and not detrimental to anyone who genuinely doesn't care about them.

like. real talk, your members joined because what they saw on the site interested them and they liked what was there. adding in too much new stuff to that core formula is going to negate some of that appeal so i would just... let it be what it is and call it a day.
last edit on May 5, 2020 13:28:57 GMT by Kuroya