how to code dynamic forums (on jcink)?

0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
hihihi. so, i'm trying to code my first jcink skin, and i was wondering if there were any guides on dynamic forums that someone could point me towards, or - if you've got the time - if someone could give me an overview of how to code them?

what i mean is like, forums that vary in size and style (e.g., left-aligned guidebook).

thank you for your time! ;;
stultifera navis
aliasnines
pronounsshe/her
535written posts
ninelieearned bits
offlinecurrently
ninelie
Part of the Furniture
ninelie Avatar
VOLITION [Medium: Success]
Unless you employ Jquery/Javascript a bit more on the heavier side than just a few lines or two, I typically just use pure CSS. You can use scripts to change a few things, or even append new classes, but I typically suggest getting comfortable on the CSS/HTML side of things before considering on how to add/augment your code with script.

You can utilize forum IDs, or even category IDs and wrap your forums with a blanket div, and declare different styles using them.

e.g. Assuming that the '.forum' class is containing the forum row code/template, and assuming that you've wrapped your forum rows with a parent div with the cat id in it... this will mean all category 1 forums will have a blue background, and all category 2 forums have a red background.

#cat1 .forum { background: blue; }
#cat2 .forum { background: red; }

If you want to call out individual boards, then you employ the forum id variable.

An example of what the code would look like in the HTML Templates for Forum Rows:
<div class="forum-row" id="forum<!-- |forum_id| -->">FORUMROWS</div>

And then in the style sheets:
#forum1.forum-row { background: yellow; }

This would mean the very first forum (with the ID of #1) will have a yellow background. 

Of course, this is just a very basic gist of things. You would need to make exclusive statements for most if not all div elements that requires its own unique situation.
last edit on Jun 3, 2020 22:25:38 GMT by ninelie
the endless hunt
aliasleto, blobert, crow
pronounshe / they
1,370written posts
ullaearned bits
offlinecurrently
ulla
Administrator
ulla Avatar
in turning divine, we tangle endlessly

adding onto what ninelie said, you can take it all a step further and utilize class displays to get entirely unique codes to show for each forum.

so assuming that you have a custom layout for your ic forums and you name the wrapping div icForum, and let's say that your ic forum id is 6 for this example. in your style sheet you can set:

.icForum {display:none;}

declaring that they won't show up and then after that line, you can declare that for forum 6, it will display using:

#forum6 .icForum {display:block!important}

using this technique you put all of your forum html in the forum row html template, and then just declare what is visible per which forum in the css.
3,084written posts
Kitten4uearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kitten4u
Part of the Furniture
Kitten4u Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","infoBG"]
[attr="class","infoBG2"]
[attr="class","infoBack"]
[attr="class","infoTitle"][attr="class","fa fa-star-o"] threadarchived
[attr="class","infoDiv"]

[attr="class","infoBody"]

To keep the forum clean and so people know that all threads in certain areas are current and that the OP is likely to still have interest, we archive threads that haven't gotten posts for 2 weeks. This thread is being archived for that reason. If you would like this thread reopened, contact a staff member.