PAID AD ALTERATION

839written posts
SPIRELEearned bits
offlinecurrently
SPIRELE
Part of the Furniture
SPIRELE Avatar
Just following up with an earlier suggestion on changing how Paid Affiliates worked. I feel like the move to permanent Paid Affiliates has been very successful. Never seeing 2-3 empty spots on the affiliates is a nice change and I feel like it works a lot better for exposure. It's also very exciting when you see a new one pop up.

With this line of thinking, I think changing Paid Ads to follow the same structure. Ads move much faster IMO so this should have minimal impact; I just don't like seeing that spot empty / removed when nothing is replacing it. Should also help reduce the amount of times you guys have to do mod work (aka change it) unless needed. 
the endless hunt
aliasleto, blobert, crow
pronounshe / they
1,370written posts
ullaearned bits
offlinecurrently
ulla
Administrator
ulla Avatar
in turning divine, we tangle endlessly

after discussion, staff have decided to change the ad spot to a one week minimum position (similar to affiliate where they are only bumped off after another spot is purchased). this is a tentative change, as we feel there is legitimate reason to be concerned for this set up to be abused when applied to the ad spot specifically.

while we find that this system works well for the affiliates because there are four of them, we feel that the potential for the top ad spot to be dominated by one and/or a handful of larger communities is much greater since there is only one. essentially, sites that have a lot of members that are also active here would be able to more or less consistently refresh their ad, leading to a disproportionate amount of time that any one community is highlighted over others.

that said, we are willing to give it a trial run, as we also acknowledge this concern may not be a reality, and can be considered effective immediately. if staff feel at any time that this feature is being abused, it will be removed.