The Longest Sigh

pronounsThey/Them
544written posts
Coyoteearned bits
offlinecurrently
Coyote
Part of the Furniture
Coyote Avatar

Okay so this is a slightly more out-there idea, but I'd love to try out a roleplay based on the 'Sun Vanished' ARG with some eldritch horror thrown in for spice. It would likely be a fairly small scale RP taking place in not even a whole city, more like a couple of apartment complexes and a few surrounding amenities? Really packed in as far as the setting to really encourage character interactions.

Story Pitch
The sun didn't come up, maybe your character was already awake watching with growing dread as the hours ticked by and it remained dark, maybe they woke to a black sky and just went back to sleep, only to wake up to panicked calls and missed messages. Within hours the internet is filled with questions and conspiracies, videos of the sky and people's clocks wondering what's going on. Word travels faster that way than through the news, but within a few days the radio stations begin chattering about it, before the first broadcast on a major news station said what everyone dreaded believing.

On the morning of [date to be decided], the sun never came up.

Overview
The point in time that the site would pick up at would be two weeks into the event, people are just starting to get brave and low on supplies enough to want to venture out of their apartments and into the streets, disappearances have happened but everyone is desperate enough to begin to ignore those fears, there's gossip about seeing things in the dark shadows where the city lights don't reach, or where power has been cut to conserve it where it's needed most, but most everyone dismisses it as just gossip and anxieties riding high. Essentially, most people know that something is going on, something bad, but not enough has happened for people to be too freaked out.

The plot would develop through story events that may involve the whole area or even just one apartment complex that would leave the other locations receiving the event through second-hand information IC, it would take some managing to keep metagaming to a minimum, but I think it would be a fun way to handle site-wide events?

Features

• Jcink hosted, might become premium when I have the income to do that!
  • 3-2-3 Rated
  • Semi-future, I'm leaning at 2050ish or something? Distanced enough that it's mostly alt-earth timeline. But close enough that technology is mostly the same?
  • Setting starts out a smaller chunk of a larger city, a handful of large apartment complexes and a couple of amenities like a hospital and large grocery store and mall, a lot of these characters might know each other very well and I'd encourage having characters be connected in any small way. More of the city might open up eventually but to start with it will focus on a small community within.
  • The event is only two weeks before the starting point of the roleplay
  • Faceless claims? I'm really tempted to have everyone's graphics just be images that fit their character aesthetically and letting people use written descriptions instead because I dread having to keep up with a face claims list, but I'm open to other ideas tbh. If I do RL or Illustrated face claims they likely won't be heavily mandated or managed.
  • No word counts or strict activity needs, I might do roll calls where you only have to essentially say 'here!' and let everyone know if you're dropping or shelving a character? But there isn't a hard consequence for missing one or two as it'd mostly be for general upkeep and profile moving.

This is still very much an in-progress evolving idea, so I'm more than interested in seeing what other people might bring to the table as far as ideas thoughts about it! Please let me know I'm more than happy to hear from you!

last edit on Aug 12, 2021 1:17:11 GMT by Coyote