pronounsMale
1,702written posts
Mouseearned bits
offlinecurrently
Mouse
Part of the Furniture
Mouse Avatar
where fears and lies melt away.
In the 9+ years that I've been a part of the Roleplay Community, I've noticed that a majority of the time I've been playing the same character archtype. The, and I really hate this term mind you, edgy and moody character with attitude problems. Has had a horrible past and I very, well, 'edgy' in terms of his abilities and just overall theme. And I'm not saying there is anything wrong with those types of characters, obviously, I've been making them for 9 years. You just reach a certain point where your tired of that type of character.

My problem is that every time I try to step away from that comfort zone I find myself getting nervous. I end up either feeling like the character I've made is less devolped or weaker. Sometimes I even feel like said character I've created that isn't of that edgy archtype is annoying to the people I'm writing with. Or that I'm trying too hard to make the character the opposite of what I'm used. So I end up going back to what I'm comfortable or familiar with. Which then prevents me from growing as a writer.

So, I'm looking for advice on how to go about getting away from that familiar space. What do you guys do when it comes to writing these non edgelord characters? Because as it's been going I've seen myself getting fatigue from basically playing the same type of character for the past 9 or so years.

I feel like that's a large part of the reason I don't quite feel like I 'click' with any of the sites I join anymore like I used to.
last edit on Aug 12, 2018 7:34:05 GMT by Mouse
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
when all else fails, ya can draw direct inspiration from another character in media and try'n sorta play them out with your own twist. example: i really like doctor who, so one of the character i played's mannerisms/behaviour drew heavily from the doctor, even if they weren't a sci-fi timelord or whatever. i could give a bunch more examples but it's probably not necessary.

my advice would be to try and avoid the headspace of deliberately doing something opposed to what you'd ordinarily do. enslaving yourself to something that doesn't enthuse you is the best way to do a bad job and feel bad about it. that framework will make ya self-conscious. instead, however long it takes, try to formulate a character without those usual traits, that you really fall in love with independently of that fact. it may take time, and you may have to consume a bunch of media to find something that hooks you. something that makes you go: "i wanna play that!"

at the end of the day though, it might not be a seamless transition, yeah? playing a new character archetype is gonna take some gettin' used to. just remember that nobody even knows that you're unused to it, and there's no shame in it anyways.

3,084written posts
Kitten4uearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kitten4u
Part of the Furniture
Kitten4u Avatar
First, I want to start by saying that there's nothing wrong with playing one type of character. RPing is a hobby, and if it's what you have the most fun with then it sounds like a thing worth doing!

That said, if you want to branch out, I think there's two good ways to do it. First, take the same kind of character and change it a little. Maybe they're an edgelord with a bright and sunny past and they're rude and combative for entirely different reasons. Maybe they were sheltered and were so used to getting everything they wanted that dealing with people who don't do that is hard, or maybe they're really insecure and afraid of being taken advantage of so they try really hard to push people away. Or maybe they have a dark and troubled past, but ended up being more optimistic and sensitive to the troubles of other people because of it and really want to protect people from what they went through.

The second is to think about what makes these kinds of characters so much fun for you. What interactions do you like? What themes do you like to explore? You can often get similar interactions or look at similar ideas with different types of characters if you plan them out that way. Like, I tend to like my rude and antagonistic characters because it's so easy to get reactions out of people and to make things happen in threads and I find that really difficult to do with super friendly characters that just want to be everyone's best friend. Thus, my nicer characters tend to have certain triggers or secrets that can bring out something similar.
aliaskappaccino
pronounsthey
283written posts
kappaccinoearned bits
offlinecurrently
kappaccino
kappaccino Avatar
welcome and well met, my brave little spark
I actually had an idea of how to help you, but then I saw that already gave you what advice I wanted to give, but in a clearer (lol) way than I could have. 

I also have the trouble where I heavily lean towards one type of character. I think that for me one of the issues is my taste in face claim. I really am drawn to qt boys, which kinda limits me. I mean, I've tried using one of those face claims as someone hardened and strong, but no one else took him seriously because of the face claim, so that didn't work haha. And then when I play girls I always default to a strong, stoic girl, even though they're made fun of now a days in writing circles. </3 

I think a big thing that helps me when I do branch out is immersing myself in media I like that has the 'feels' of what I want to play. For example, when I binge an assassination fanfic AU suddenly I have the interest to make a stone cold killer raised into it. But when I read a fluffy slice of life high school band manga, I get the interest in making a dumb teen in marching band. Maybe try watching/reading things with wholesome and happy content and see if any characters stick out to you. Like Clear said, you can nab personality traits from someone in media and then make it your own. 

You don't have to branch too far out of things you like either. Just go on over to archive of our own and look up coffeeshop AUs of your fav shows. Sort by kudos or comments and you should find some good stuff. I notice that snappy, fun, dialogue really helps me want to write non-angst characters. though angst is really fun, so I am all for 'edgelord pasts' tbh. I'm just saying this cause you said you were tired of playing them

last edit on Aug 12, 2018 15:34:53 GMT by kappaccino