aliasnone
pronounsshe/her
70written posts
vayuearned bits
offlinecurrently
vayu
vayu Avatar
Just a random thought

I think it's easier said than done, but while a site is definitely an expression of what you like and your creativity as an admin and almost 99% of the time really CLOSE to your heart, creating a forum where we open that genre to everyone means that we need to aim for at least a certain component of our members to enjoy it, get invested and well, be happy?

This doesn't mean having to feel the pressure to please everyone - I think it's more, letting go of the whole 'this is my site' to 'this is OUR site'. It's definitely difficult to do; maybe it feels thankless sometimes, but a little thing the team and I do is we remember why we created the site - 

We wanted EVERYONE to enjoy this world we've created! 

It's a great feeling tbh, and it really clears your mind when it comes to a lot of stuff. 
Tidal Wave
aliasAkira, Tsunami, Tsu, Blue, Aki, Kazzie
pronounsAny
4,112written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
offlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
I've got a hurricane in my head, I can't feel a thing, but it's better than dead
I feel like that is really important too. Once your site is built and open and has loyal members, it really does become less "this is my site" and really more "this is our site" as you stated. And that makes pleasing those members just as important. However, you still have to make sure that you're not just catering to the members you already have, but keeping an open mind to draw in new people too.

pronounsidc
62written posts
newyorkearned bits
offlinecurrently
newyork
newyork Avatar
It's definitely a really hard line to walk. Taking in the suggestions of others to improve your site and also trying to make sure that you don't lose sight of the intended theme of the site and why you feel in love with it to even make it to begin with. Sometimes too many suggestions from others can drown out what you wanted in the beginning. I love a site with staff members who have a clear vision of where they want to direct the site and how it can correlate with the plots of their members. C:
pronounshe/him
729written posts
illidan mainearned bits
offlinecurrently
illidan main
Part of the Furniture
illidan main Avatar
this is gonna sound cruel but nah i don't care about members i don't have.

if my site doesn't work for people who are not on my site, i'm not changing it to attract people that don't RP with me yet. if it works for my members, I'm keeping the site the way it is.

besides with members you don't have, there's no guarantee that changing your site is gonna make those possible members join? what's the saying? "a bird in hand is worth two in the bush" and that's honestly my policy when it comes to staffing. my members, for instance, think my character slot system is forgiving and encourages them to use the OCs they already have rather than just make 10 OCs out the gate. it's how they self-regulate, and they say they have no real problems getting characters in play because i make want ads free to create. i'm not going to get rid of it so someone who doesn't like character slots could *maybe* join.

avatar and hover by phobic art, commissioned for me
phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,235written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
at this, the world's end, do we cast off tomorrow~!
illidan main Avatar
this is gonna sound cruel but nah i don't care about members i don't have.

if my site doesn't work for people who are not on my site, i'm not changing it to attract people that don't RP with me yet. if it works for my members, I'm keeping the site the way it is.

besides with members you don't have, there's no guarantee that changing your site is gonna make those possible members join? what's the saying? "a bird in hand is worth two in the bush" and that's honestly my policy when it comes to staffing. my members, for instance, think my character slot system is forgiving and encourages them to use the OCs they already have rather than just make 10 OCs out the gate. it's how they self-regulate, and they say they have no real problems getting characters in play because i make want ads free to create. i'm not going to get rid of it so someone who doesn't like character slots could *maybe* join.

real talk, this is.... largely the reason why i get kind of baffled when people go on and on about the "potential new members" that such-and-such policy might alienate.

like. buddy. those potential new members may not even exist. but you know who does? the members currently on your site, who are already invested in the site and thus far more likely to stick around on it in the long-term.

don't get me wrong, i'm not saying throw up a gigantic middle finger to outsiders who might join the site, but y'know. in terms of a cost-benefit analysis, i typically try to err on the side that's going to make my current members happy over some potential "new member" who may not even exist (or may not end up sticking around for more than a few weeks).

(but also, real talk, if i'm making choices that me and the current community are pretty "meh" about just so i can try to appeal to that mythical "potential member", like.... what are the odds that any members i draw in that way are actually going to get along with the rest of the community when they're likely pretty different to the rest of the current community? pretty dang low, in my experience. so. yeah.)

Tidal Wave
pronounsAny
4,112written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
offlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
I've got a hurricane in my head, I can't feel a thing, but it's better than dead
I'm not saying that I don't currently cater to the people I already have, but really I only make changes to attract new people based on my current member opinions. I will ask them where they found us at, what drew them in, and what they think should be changed to bring in new people. What they find appealing in a new site. If my members don't tolerate the changes, how would new people? I always make sure to include what my current members think over others. It is hard to please everyone, yeah. But finding a nice middle ground isn't so bad either.

540written posts
Sharpearned bits
offlinecurrently
Sharp
Part of the Furniture
Sharp Avatar
I like big fonts and I cannot lie
I think accommodation and concept are a tricky balance beam, regardless of the tenure of members. I've seen plenty of times where sites stagnate because they are afraid to innovate and only cater to their inner circle just as many times as I've seen underconfident admins fiddling with things because they are unsatisfied with site growth rate.

I'd say right now it is an "admin's market". Competitioin is relativly low. We don't even have a successful demon slayer site, and I don't know how that is even possible. You can take risks and stick to your guns and still achieve growth. I think a lot of times we think growth has to happen at a rapid pace or we are failing, but it really doesn't.

If I could talk to past me I'd bonk myself on the head for a lot of things but specifically and tell myself to stop fiddling so much and spend more time posting. Presence and activity is a more valuable use of time that should take priority over getting into the weeds.
last edit on Aug 23, 2021 23:33:56 GMT by Sharp
aliasantiviral
pronounsHe/Him
217written posts
Beetleearned bits
offlinecurrently
Beetle
Beetle Avatar
For the first month or so of opening, I was very much stuck in a mentality of "no one's joining, what rules can I bend to make people like the site more, but still stick to my original vision", but even though there's only about six of us with characters, including myself and my co-admin, I've reached a point where I'm pretty zen about it. Could I change the site to give it more general appeal? Yeah, maybe, but we've got a handful of good people making fun plots together and that's really all I can ask for, honestly.

Solar Waltz
, an 18+ panfandom set in nyc
Tidal Wave
pronounsAny
4,112written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
offlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
See, I almost feel like it's harder to have an Original RP over like a Fandom based RP. Y'all can come at me for it if you want but compared to like 10 years ago, it's harder to find original sites. People just seem less interested in them. I wonder why. It isn't saying that they're not out there, it just... seems harder to me compared to back in the day.

On a secondary note, guys I actually finished my autumn crap before autumn started. I'm so shocked that I'm actually ahead for once IDK what to do.

0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
AkiraTsunami Avatar
See, I almost feel like it's harder to have an Original RP over like a Fandom based RP. Y'all can come at me for it if you want but compared to like 10 years ago, it's harder to find original sites. People just seem less interested in them. I wonder why. It isn't saying that they're not out there, it just... seems harder to me compared to back in the day.
Sometimes I wonder if it has to do with like.... the amount of reading that people would have to do? Fandom RP, if you like the fandom, you kind of already know a good chunk of the lore and base concepts. Original RP, you gotta read everything in order to know what's going on. And no tea no shade, but for such a literary pastime, when I ran an Original RP, I had so many people complain about how much they had to read (which, imo, wasn't even that much).
pronounsany
297written posts
flareearned bits
offlinecurrently
flare
flare Avatar
rp is supposed to be fun, remember
marmie Avatar
AkiraTsunami Avatar
Sometimes I wonder if it has to do with like.... the amount of reading that people would have to do? Fandom RP, if you like the fandom, you kind of already know a good chunk of the lore and base concepts. Original RP, you gotta read everything in order to know what's going on. And no tea no shade, but for such a literary pastime, when I ran an Original RP, I had so many people complain about how much they had to read (which, imo, wasn't even that much).
To me, this isn't "having to read a lot" but just "how relevant is this information to me?" Like, if a site has a lot of lore that I would use during my posts, I'll gladly go over them to have a better understanding. If it is short but doesn't give me direction or any clues as to how it affects me or my characters, it will feel like a chore. Sometimes it's not the quantity of it.

I do feel like a lot of Original RPs do fall into the latter when it comes to info. Sometimes, since it's all their own creative world, they end up rehauling and doing that quite often too. Like changing systems, informations, plot hooks, location descriptions etc and doing it repeatedly feels like playing catch-up too. It's a tough balance at times.
internally screaming
pronounsshe/her
1,786written posts
Nekoearned bits
offlinecurrently
Neko
Administrator
Neko Avatar
stressed, depressed, and probably not well-dressed
flare Avatar
To me, this isn't "having to read a lot" but just "how relevant is this information to me?" Like, if a site has a lot of lore that I would use during my posts, I'll gladly go over them to have a better understanding. If it is short but doesn't give me direction or any clues as to how it affects me or my characters, it will feel like a chore. Sometimes it's not the quantity of it.

I do feel like a lot of Original RPs do fall into the latter when it comes to info. Sometimes, since it's all their own creative world, they end up rehauling and doing that quite often too. Like changing systems, informations, plot hooks, location descriptions etc and doing it repeatedly feels like playing catch-up too. It's a tough balance at times.

As someone who's done multiple original rps, this is the most told reason that people don't join. I'm someone who will drown everyone in lore, have a ridiculous timeline, etc, etc.

This is /not/ for everyone.

Over time I've really reined it back the best I could and even my current project has gone through multiple iterations to make the lore as compact as possible. Another thing I've really noticed is a lot of people spread out multiple very important bits of information through like 9 threads/pages. Sometimes make a chonkier paragraph is the better solution because you really didn't need to put important xyz into a thread where no one's going to click even if there's some important bits.

Really in my experience, someone is happier to read a chonkier thread/paragraph than going through 10 pages of lore - because at least 7 threads/pages aren't really needed or used for their character.

Fandom sites are usually through a game/visual/story that's basically newgame+ so there's already knowledge coming into the game. People are going to always be attracted to what is more comfortable for them. While you don't need to be overly obsessed in making everything as small as possible nor you don't need to be concerned when your base obviously already has enjoyed what you've put out - but I think it is important that you're measuring your game with people's interest, NOT just yours. If you only cared about what you wanted to do, write a book or a fanfic!
Tidal Wave
pronounsAny
4,112written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
offlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
o.o I did not expect so many replies to that.

As a reply to the replies, I have to agree. I used to do that, where I had so many different pages of things and drowned people in lore, but eventually they just went "this is too much to read" so I've culled it down to three different pages. One for plot lore/setting lore, another for group lore, and the last for species lore. So far this works.

However, there is a toooon of lore, because I am writing a book/book series based on these. So there's a lot of stuff that isn't on the boards. Plus my current site is based 10 years after a previous iteration, and that throws people off too. But we have a pretty even member base. Half of the members were on the previous one, half are brand new within the last year, on this one only. I really do try to balance information so that it isn't necessary to know that much about the previous one in order to join this one. But it's still a huge turn off sometimes. I wish I knew why.

This is a long reply but I actually have a different topic to touch on too.

As a staff member, do you ever just want to... Start something else? Like activity dips for... ever. And you're bored. You find yourself working on other projects, but no one wants to commit so you decide that maybe you just want to do something else too because you're bored af and have nothing to do? Yeah. Fun times. I'm sitting here debating whether or not I want to open another site, but can't really decide what I want to do, and I don't want it to take away from my current site and man I'm bored. What do...

aliasmiddy, midnight
pronounsShe/Her
662written posts
NIGHTBLOOMearned bits
offlinecurrently
NIGHTBLOOM
Part of the Furniture
NIGHTBLOOM Avatar
so it goes.
When I ask for feedback or just general opinions... And no one really participates. ;-; It's hard running things by myself, and almost makes me just want to give up. Again. Why is it hard to find reliable staff members or people who match my enthusiasm? I don't think I'm hard to get along with... u.u Bums me out.

coming soon.
Tidal Wave
pronounsAny
4,112written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
offlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
^ So much that to be honest. Though it's almost worse having people that DO vote on the things but are always evenly split so you can't even base your decisions on what the members want because it always comes out super even x.x