phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,238written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
at this, the world's end, do we cast off tomorrow~!
.... i feel kind of weird throwing this up, especially when it's so unfancy this time, and huh apparently this is going to be a thing i always get the muse for in the summer, how about that-

basically i've been bouncing around for the last few weeks the idea of bringing back my old vr-mmo pokemon site idea (link to the original interest check), and i do think i want to do it as a low-activity "come and go as you please" type of site... but i want to do it with a bit of a twist. aka yes i'm probably gonna do it as a "you're trapped in the game" style rp, but the reason for this is because i want to do it as a multifandom site that allows both canon and original characters panfandom site.

i'd be doing a few other tweaks, but just as a quick chiming through for what i know would be things.
> site will be hosted on jcink premium - i have 90% of a skin coded already, so that's... not changing
> pokemon rolled by species only; you pick the gender + form, levels and abilities do not exist
> pokemon start with a basic attack (like the lunge from mystery dungeon) and one typed damaging move from any generation
> pokemon learn more moves using move coins, which are obtainable through quest rewards / scavenging threads
> the board starts with three wild areas but more become unlocked as members beat raid bosses (in teams of 4 but the raids are repeatable)
> shiny pokemon are only obtainable through using an item (again, it's a quest reward or promo item)
> on-site customized pokedex that sorts so that wild pokemon rolls are easy
> also standardized evolutions through using items you also get from quests rewards / scavenging threads
> everyone can roll wild pokemon encounters and the like, not just staff
> pokemon party maximums ranging from two or three all the way up to nine as you "level up"
> permanent mega evolutions with the right materials
> catchable legendaries eventually
> canons can keep their non-world-breaking powers within reason
> ocs can come from canon universes (ie you can make an oc from the hp world)
> original artwork will be allowed as long as it's used with permission and isn't low quality (a la ms paint homestuck)
> nonhumanoid canons will be given a humanoid form which will have a variety of options for faces (character creators, original artwork, human fanart of the character, etc)
> if you want to go breaking the site, hey, i guess you can, but if no one acknowledges it, it's not canon

things that i'm not sure of right now though are as follows...
> if i want to bite the bullet and make the site 18+ ahead of time so i can cut out a mature board ahead of time 18+ let's do this
> whether i want to go all out for a general exploration mechanic (for generally searching for items) scrapped
> trainer leveling or just. "hey you can move on between easy / medium / hard areas when you beat x number of raids"
> if i want to go whole hog and let people claim the same faces infinite times as long as everyone's okay with it (since i mean, double-claiming is already a thing because canons/ocs don't mess each other up) nope
> whether i want to bite the bullet and go full on word of mouth / invite only after we're up and running or not
> ... honestly i'm still not 10000% sold on being trapped in the game, canons being cloned in a lab sounds p cool too i guess

but yeah uh i guess. thoughts? interest? telling me that this is a horrible idea so i can quit while i'm behind?
last edit on Jun 16, 2019 21:35:41 GMT by Kuroya

aliasjo, honey
pronounsfeminine
645written posts
offlinecurrently
honey and the forgor land
Part of the Furniture
honey and the forgor land Avatar
fed up with y'all bitches
i ... DIE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WANT THIS SO BAD PLEASE OH PLEASE MAKE IT HAPPEN! also can i ask some questions real quick? i'll drop them here in case anyway ,,, so please don't feel obliged to answer them but i'm just a little confused based on what i read:

Q1: will pokemon be able to know any kind of moves? (i.e: will my pikachu be able to learn vine whip so long as i have the right scavenged/quest item for it)? i would imagine not but i just was curious bc i don't think i read it right.

Q2: how often will scavenging/catching threads be able to be done? i'm not fond of forums that take like 20 weeks for one thread to occur or that are very ... cooperation-heavy, if that makes sense, seeing as i'm more of a very active rper and mission-based or co-op based threads make me forget about them 2 days into waiting for a reply if you feel me.

Q3: CAN WE PLEASE HAVE A BREEDING SYSTEM? breeding is my passion in pokemon and that would be so mcfucking rad. i know it'd need a whole system and all but ... y'know.

Q4: could there be coordinators and different trainer types? the world of pokemon is VAST and has a lot of opportunities but it seems people just focus on 'bam you're a trainer and you catch shit. dassit' which is ok and all but y'know.

Q5: what kind of number of character limit are you looking at (how many characters per person)?

Q6: will there be canon slots? (i.e: characters that form the world you're making and help it advance) i'm talking rocket leader, etc.

Q7: i've seen there's no real pokemon forums with levels for pokemon, so it's all based on rp? aka will battles just be ... based on how it's rped and plotted out? could there be a system for it?

Q8: i'm dumb but is this animanga or real life faceclaims?

NOW FOR SOME SUGGESTIONS/COMMENTARY - AGAIN TAKE THIS WITH A GRAIN OF SALT BUT IT'S JUST MY OPINIONS OR WTV:

1: i would advise against the whole multi-canon thing ... i.e: i don't think it'd make sense ic to have many people with the same fc and from the same canon material running around. it'd be rather weird, imo? i mean if people are ok with it then go balls to the walls with it but i personally don't see it going well since it's really strange. the whole idea of having ocs of the same fc is already strange to me since usually you go either ocs or canons, not both, but i get this is like a major point of this so esketit.

2: the word of mouth thing seems GR8. i love it when the community is small and kind of ... hand-picked, i suppose? like people who know friends in the group and all. if that doesn't work out, just promo publicly. i'd say try word of mouth first then see how it goes.

3: make it 18+. make it 18+. MAKE IT. 18+. i'm not saying it's guaranteed that people 18+ are more mature but i also wouldn't think it'd be fun to allow younger people in for the sake of dirty jokes and people with a more morbid/rated-r type of humor, you know? even with nsfw channels in discords, these kinds of things still slip and all. most forums i've seen on jcink are 18+ anyway so wynaut, right?
last edit on Jun 10, 2019 3:31:38 GMT by honey and the forgor land
Elemental Enthusiast
aliasMari
pronounsthey/them
981written posts
Mariearned bits
offlinecurrently
Mari
Part of the Furniture
Mari Avatar
eternally tired
HECK YES

I like this idea A LOT and I hope you'll make it a thing.

EDIT: I have a question about this tho: will non-human but still more or less humanoid characters be allowed?
last edit on Jun 10, 2019 17:28:09 GMT by Mari
4,238written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
okiedokie i am online now so let's respond to things... i guess in the order of length.

i'm definitely hoping to be able to! like. basically i got tripped up last time cuz i choked on the coding and at the thought of trying to stay as active as i "should" be with all the mod work. but i'm hoping to pare out even more mod work, so as long as everyone is willing to be understanding and patient that the stuff you actually need staff for might take a wee bit longer, i'm thinking it'll be okay!

questions are more than okay! i'll definitely answer them. and respond to your commentary too just. let me put things under a spoiler so it doesn't get too long.

question + answer time
A1: yes and no. basically, you're limited to all the damage-deailng moves a pokemon could possibly learn at one point or another in a game. for example, we'll look at pikachu's veekun page, you'd be able to teach it thunderbolt (a move it learns through level-up in all generations), swift (a move it could learn through level-up only in red/blue), volt tackle (an egg move it learns in multiple generations), or rollout (a tm move it can learn in gold/silver/crystal). or any other number of moves that are listed there. so. point being, no, vine whip wouldn't be a thing, and neither would, say, splash on a magikarp (since it's a non-damaging move), but you do get a p extensive potential moveset for most pokemon (i'd probably figure out what to do with smeagle + ditto when we got to that crossroad), so it's enough variety to keep people from having carbon copies of the same pokemon even if they have the same species.

-----

A2: uhhhhh i'm not even 100000% sold on a scavenging mechanic (since i might fob that off for another site tbeh) but. basically i would separate out things so it's wild threads + maybe solo quests (aka it's you with some mod rolls), normal quests (for 2-3 people plus mod rolls), and then raid battles (for 3-4 people). normal quests i wouldn't cap out unless we have problems where people are spamming them, but i'd probably do that you can only ask for 1 mod roll per calendar day for solo threads (just to try to stop people from spamming out 20 posts a day for mega charizard x from a newly caught charmander) and then cap out that everyone gets up to 3-5 solo threads active at a time. raid threads, on the other hand, would be set up so that you can go out of posting order if you want to (as long as you aren't posting again within 48 hours of your last post), but a mod has to show up every 3-4 posts to respond, just so you're not whaling the boss down before it has a chance to hit back.

tl;dr you're gonna have some options to do stuff without relying on people if you're not finding partners who are active enough for you, but y'know, the actual meat of plot stuff (aka the raid threads since that progresses the site) is something that you can't just speed demon and ignore everyone else on.

-----

A3: tbeh...... i'm probably not going to implement a breeding system. i've never really been happy with any of the ones that i used to have on sites i've done previously, and it typically was something that was largely ignored by people unless someone got a specific pokemon spawned for the first time that other people wanted. and it had generated a lot of eggs that no one ever really hatched.

like i wouldn't be entirely against putting in a mechanic for getting eggs as quest rewards or something, but since that's gonna be a ton more work and i'm the only staffer, it's probably easier for me to just... not.

-----

A4: i wasn't really planning on doing trainer types either. since i mean. the concept of it was meant to be nintendo's first attempt at a vr-mmo pokemon game, so it would be a bit like pogo in that there's just... not really anything there outside of catching and collecting and evolving.

that being said, like. if people want to go with "oh i'm trying to go be a coordinator!" or "oh i'm wanting to try to be a breeder one day", i'm not gonna stop them? people can organize unofficial coordinator contests and submit quests that are "ranger missions" or "research objectives" or even "help breeders out" but y'know. i don't want to try to build out a framework for perks/downsides of each class (or for letting people do unique classes), so to try to cut out some of the staff work, i'm planning on just... not running anything official.

-----

A5: no hard limit on character counts. i'm not about that life.

that being said though, to have additional characters approved, i'll probably do what i do on my other sites, aka you must 1) not have any characters currently inactive and 2) have at least 1 additional post on each of your characters from the minimum post count you had before (aka second character means you have 1 post on your first but fifth character means you have 4 posts on your first, 3 on your second, 2 on your third, and 1 on your fourth).

-----

A6: nope. it's a vr-mmo, so tbeh, i was never planning on anything like "team rocket leaders" or "gym leaders" or whatnot (at least, not playable). like, the closest i would get would be more or less an occupation list so there's not two chiefs of police or something, but that'd be that. i've just had a lot of bad experiences with site canon positions tbeh, i am not a fan of them.

-----

A7: oh heck yes there's an actual battle system. i have been too long in this genre, i have seen things. i have seen the ash ketchums refusing to let their pikachu die to an onix and i have screamed over having to figure out if my modded togepi ought to be fainted yet or not.

it'll be a basic battle system. wild pokemon will have lower health (since you're supposed to win those) while boss/raid pokemon will have more health (since it's a team effort). i might work in a class system for pokemon to rank them up to be better but. basic system functions as "all pokemon have 10 health, normal attacks do 2 damage, if it's super effective it does another +1 damage (so 3 total), if it's not very effective it does -1 damage (so 1 total)".

-----

A8: animanga. animanga for all of it. i wouldn't be doing an interest check on p2 if it was rl fcs. nah but also for real i'd probably even rule out playing canons from series that are largely live action (like harry potter or supernatural) since i feel like it's kind of cheating around the rules for animated panfandoms to allow them, but ยฏ\_(ใƒ„)_/ยฏ it is what it is i guess.

responding to commentary time
R1: i'm.... gonna be super transparent about it and say that a large reason why i want to go with both canons and ocs is because i would want to run with the same basic plot idea for a site for both canons and ocs. like. trust me, i'm not entirely satisfied with it either, and if i'm being entirely honest about it, i'd probably actually cut the ocs out, not the canons, since i personally would much rather play a small handful of animated canons than i would the few animanga ocs i still have. but that still opens up the same barrel of worms since like i'd want to allow the opportunity to have, like, humanized simba, which means i'd allow people to claim a face if they wanted, which then dumps us back into the same boat of reusing faces. plus i'd be personally concerned about people doing the same thing they do in 90% of panfandoms i've seen/joined and just... play only within their own fandoms + fandoms they know and then with their friends' characters in fandoms they're less familiar with. since ho boy that drives me bonkers and i have left a few panfandoms because that was going on.

like. i know i could technically just. make it on two different urls and say they're linked if i'm running them low-key but i don't want to do that for both more selfish reasons (like me not wanting to use up all my premium jcink spots just for this) and for actual legitimate, understandable reasons (like me being concerned about neglecting one version of the site or the other since as of right now, i'm the only staffer for the whole project, and as you can see from my siggie, i'm also responsible for two other sites).

the other option would be putting both versions on the same url but keeping them in separate board structures with the excuse of "oh yeah it's two different servers nbd". which i'm not entirely opposed to this if it would be something people wouldn't mind seeing, and it would resolve most of my concerns in splitting the two sites up. i'd mostly just be worried about if it would seem too messy to actually push through. and y'know. new areas for one group might get spoiled if the other group advances further, but eh, i'm less concerned about that since it's mostly just. "oh neat this is the fire area! this is the grass area!"

-----

R2: i'm definitely not opposed to word of mouth promotion only! (and y'know obviously i'd not stop anyone from putting want ads up on resource sites and whatnot.) the only problem with this method that i could see would be the obvious slowdown of the site in terms of quest threads or raids (especially since more members = faster movement since anything that does not actually require staff attention to function is not going to be forced as a mod roll). well. that and the fact that three years out of pokemon and two and a half out of animanga have left me outside of a friend group but. ye.

-----

R3: i mean i have a site that's 18+ and a site that isn't and they're about the same largely. the big difference would be, like i said, whether or not there's a mature board for graphic threads or not (since we're jcink premium so graphic content is a go regardless, it's just a matter of whether it's gonna be sequestered away or not). since imo it's not great to have blatant graphic content or even just super intense / controversial topics in the guest-viewable areas as the first impression, even on an 18+ site. it'd probably depend on what we have for interest and whether or not it would be a dealbreaker for people or not i guess.
last edit on Jun 10, 2019 18:39:25 GMT by Kuroya

aliasjo, honey
pronounsfeminine
645written posts
offlinecurrently
Part of the Furniture

questions pt. 2:

Q1: will you be allowing other staff to join the site? it seems like a lot to run considering you want to implement systems for battling and such. i feel like if you had other staff you could even run more systems instead of scrap them? askrhsarhas this is just me pushing for the breeding/scavenging systems because that's something i haven't seen in other pokemon forums which stood out to me because imagine some kind of breeder/pokemon rancher or farmer type rolling along and doing their own thing growing berries and other plants. that'd be me btw sakrhsarhasr. i'm also generally worried because it seems like a lot for one person to run.

suggestion pt. 2:

1: MAKE IT CANON PANFAN. PEPEHANDS. yes there's always the concern of people not rping across fandoms but maybe there could be a badge system (like those little pixel badges for posting and such that jcink has) that promotes rping between canon groups and such. people will do them in the end, can't really avoid it.

that is all tbh you clarified the rest really well
last edit on Jun 10, 2019 23:18:42 GMT by honey and the forgor land
4,238written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar

to answer your question, this is a very resounding yes! please! please, i hate running things on my own, it is the worst!

the only reason i'm basically running the whole thing as though there aren't other staff is because right now, there are none. (which, to be fair, there's also been no one who's actually confirmed they're interested in joining, so by that standard, y'know.) and i would rather not build out elaborately complex systems that are going to rely on the assumption that i have other staff to help when it might turn out that i don't. this is partially because i just don't have the manpower but also partially because i tend to have p bad luck with staff (as in i tend to end up more or less solo staffing a site no matter how many other staffers i have), so in that regard, i'm trying to be cautious about what i might be signing myself up for.

under the spoiler is gonna be some vague systems rambling and all that so. yeah. i got long since i was rambling through things and i'm kind of soundboarding some things since like i said, i don't have other staffers right now so i'm legit working through all these ideas in real time here in the thread. so uh.
like in a sense, i'm actually kind of glad i took another year to come back to this idea since actually the current setup i'm toying with is a lot easier to work with from a staffing perspective.

like to detail out some of the ground rules we're working with here:
> trainer levels are probably gonna get kicked out and replaced with a general rank (aka novice / adept / expert)
> trainer experience is also gonna get kicked out, we can use crystals you get from defeating bosses to rank up (there's 6 possible in each area, but you only need 3 to go up each rank)
> pokemon don't have levels or experience or abilities anymore, so you don't need to roll for that
> a pokemon's gender + alternate form + starting moveset is decided by the rper/modder, so that's not a roll either
> a pokemon's additional moves + shiny status are unlocked through item usage
> pokemon class is also probably going to get kicked to the curb entirely so it's not something we track
> aka the only part of a pokemon encounter that would need to be randomized is the exact species
> and the only things that staff would need to track of a pokemon would be moveset + species + special status (shiny / alternate form / mega)
> also i'm letting members roll as much of this as possible so

so for context, more or less. staff would just have to 1) approve bios, 2) add in the crystals as an award each time a raid boss gets defeated, 3) change permission masks to rank players up (if i want to be sure people can't post where they're not allowed), 4) do general site maintenance (archive finished threads, update claims listings, etc etc), and maybe 5) edit players' "bag + pc" posts if i want to be paranoid about people cheating the system and 6) run any kind of promotion if we decide to have them. literally everything else would be something a normal member would be allowed to roll.

(like legit the battle system isn't really something we have to monitor, it's just basic "this is how we decide who wins fights and give easy benchmarks for people to figure out when they need to lose a fight and what the expected rules are" type things.)

-----

i'm still p leery about doing a breeding system just because i really don't think they work well in rp. they're usually ignored and tbeh i'd actually be a bit leery of people changing a pokemon's gender to try to get around egg type issues (or y'know next thing we know, every eevee is female). like. i guess if i was going to do one, i'd take it in the direction of "people pay x amount to put in 1 pokemon into a pot, when the pot reaches 10 everyone who put in a nonlegendary pokemon gets 1 mystery egg each, after people post with the counter for it y amount of times in the same thread the mystery egg will hatch into a pokemon that is randomized from any of the possibilities in the original pot." i'd try to restrict it so that people would be allowed to hedge their bets by putting more of their own pokemon into the pot or getting friends to join them too (thus increasing the odds that they get something they want) but i know i would definitely lock down to "limit one pokemon per evolution family" to stop someone from putting in all 8 eeveelutions plus an eevee to try to guarantee another eevee.

... actually, in typing that out, i do kind of like that system a little bit, it would be nice to be able to use mystery eggs as promo items or quest rewards. and if people leave/disappear, nbd, the mystery egg would just fade into the nether like i would do with their pokemon too.

-----

as far as scavenging system goes... if i did it, it would be an overhaul of all of the wild threads. aka it would replace wild threads with general exploration threads, where you're wandering about and you have a chance of 1) encountering a wild pokemon, 2) finding a random low-quality type item (like the +1 move item), or 3) coming across an obstacle you could pass if you meet the right conditions to get a high-quality type item (ie, you need a fire-type pokemon to cross a bed of lava to reach a small crevice with something shining inside, which turns out to be the +shiny status item). heck i could even add a possibility for a 4) find a pokemon egg that will hatch into the dominant type of the area you're exploring in (pokemon randomizes when it hatches, not when it's found).

i'm just a bit leery of actually implementing that whole thing since just. 1) it's a whole new set of things to roll for when previously you would only have to roll for pokemon species for a wild thread. 2) since canons could keep their non-world-breaking powers there would be nothing to stop anyone from breaking systems they could canonically (ie, superman flies over the lava to get the item instead of having his charmander go fetch it for him) or at least, nothing to stop them from complaining about the fact they can't do it. 3) it adds a different feel to the site that does rather contrast with the whole vr-mmo aspect of it. and 4) it would take a lot of emphasis off of the main questing system (which i want to set up so that it encourages not doing solo threads as often as possible) and really tempt people to only do quests if they're looking for a specific rare item (which they would likely be able to buy out of the shop if i'm keeping it, which idk if i am).

basically just. it's a cool system. i would like to use it one day. but i am not sure if link cable is the right site to use it on, and if it isn't, that would not break my heart since i would love to keep it for a potential future pokemon site.

-----

i love how i said i wasn't gonna do trainer classes but then i got in the shower and my brain started thinking about trainer classes.

basically, i'm sort of considering adding trainer classes? it might be a cool dynamic to add to the site, especially if it goes in the direction of a panfandom versus a multifandom, but. yeah. i'd try to keep the perks p low key and interchangeable (just nice things versus be-all end-all ways to twist the game) so. yeah.

prototype classes + perks are:
> trainer: +1 damage to all attacks
> coordinator: +1 starting move for all pokemon
> breeder: +1 empty slot towards a mystery egg pot? -1 post required to hatch an egg? idk since idk if there's gonna be a breeding system or even eggs in the final site so don't quote me on this yet
> researcher: +1 possible mega evolution in party (max of 3)
> ranger: +1 max pokemon party size (max of 10)
> warrior: ... +3 health to all pokemon i guess?

idk it's a bit of a rough system and even though i'd like to make them actual member groups, i'd probably try to make them user-created groups and see if i can figure that system out for jcink. (hopefully it's a self-sort where you can only be in one). and idk whether i'd take additional classes submitted by members but. ye.

like i said, don't. hold me to this but. i'm spitballing here and seeing what i like and what works and what doesn't.

and i would honestly not mind too much making it a canon panfandom and calling it a day. since i did toy with that idea as well for a while. i just had 0 idea how much traction it would actually have (since even though i know there was excitement when it was tossed around the last couple of times, i also am very aware that rpers are like cats and they'll say they want something and then once they have it, they don't actually do anything with it). and y'know. concerns with not rping across fandoms.

but i guess people are likely to bubble anyway since, y'know, on original sites everyone will just bubble in their friends and with fcs they like so. by that standard, i guess it's. fine. if nothing else, the raid threads and questing ought to help spread people out, and i can always add in a guideline that's more or less. "hey guys, i know people tend to focus on fandoms they know or on characters played by friends, and that's understandable, but please make sure that you're not doing it to the point where you're actively excluding other people or characters."

no but also real talk, i would love to hear more input from people who would be interested in joining whether they'd be down for a site that's canon-only or one that allows ocs as well. (and, y'know, to what degree ocs would serve as a turnoff.)
last edit on Jun 11, 2019 21:37:36 GMT by Kuroya

aliasjo, honey
pronounsfeminine
645written posts
offlinecurrently
Part of the Furniture

ever considered making a little discord server for suggestions and ideas/people who might be interested to join? maybe doing a form for potential staffers to fill out? something like: I AM PART OF THIS TIMEZONE AND I AM AVAILABLE AT THESE TIMES. I'M ALSO PART OF THESE PAGES ALREADY SO U KNOW IF I'M SPENDING TOO MUCH TIME ON THOSE INSTEAD OF THIS ONE kinda thing? you definitely will need staff because this seems like ,,, again ,,, a lot to do with one person. i get the whole 'i end up running everything' because i've seen a lot of forums i've been on already be kind of like that? it's usually just one admin and the mods just sit there and look pretty but you should give it a shot man.

furthermore:

1: for the exp system, why not do it like ... in dnd some dms do this thing where instead of +10 exp per wolf you kill! it's like +1 level per big event that happens. so instead of nitpicking every little thing you could just do a level system based on what the trainer is able to experience and what they have experienced? idk just a thought since i wouldn't want you having to kill yourself over trying to figure this kinda thing out

2: i think for the prototype classes there should be some page dedicated to explaining what they do and what their perks are though perhaps they don't need perks? it could just be more of a 'lmao i'm a coordinator so i'm allowed to participate in coordination events' or 'lmao i'm a breeder so i focus on breeding' kinda thing if you don't want to focus on perks and kinda bend the game mechanics of the world that way. also you're right. things like keeping canon abilities would suck ass for foraging,,, but what if you made it to where mods generate a random event that is specifically tailored to that character? i.e: if superman can fly through the lava, it would be some kind of really strong wall of bedrock in the way that was raised from the core of the earth that is specified he can't fly through/around or make his way through in general so he'd have to find another way. it's like a random event generator that members could ping staff to generate and link their thread to for easier access. SKRHASR I'M JUST SAYING THIS FOR THE FUTURE POKEMON WTV YOU DO TBH BECAUSE I GET IT NO SCAVENGING HERE

3: i really like that idea of breeding systems. it's simple, it's doable. i dig it

also skrshar people need to comment more i'm just here hogging the thread like "wat do"
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
i just wanted to second jo's suggestion regarding how to measure experience. a project i'm working on uses milestone leveling, and it could definitely work for you, too. characters level up based on participation in events, missions, and raids that move the site's narrative forward. two of the main reasons why we chose to go with this type of leveling system are: 1) it's a lot less work for the staff team, and 2) we didn't want a system tied to points, posts, or anything that could quickly devolve into a grind for our members.

anyway, i'm here for this idea. if you create a discord server to hang out in, spitball ideas etc. etc., i'd love to get an invite.
4,238written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
+ @neincat (since i was writing this up while you replied but i addressed the levels + experience p explicitly with why i'm strongly considering dropping it.)

yeah no i know i'm gonna do a discord server eventually for this. i'm not gonna be running a cbox on the site so discord server is gonna happen for sure. i'm just. trying to see if there's actually traction before i make one. so it's not just. "oh oops there's only three other people in here, well, this is awkward."

i might fish around for some staff officially in the staff search area, though i'm also kind of at the same crossroad there too. since y'know. i'd feel bad if there's just no traction behind it. especially if it means it then just ends up not happening. or when i'm still setting up the core stuff (since i personally like throwing together the meat of the site myself, just because i like knowing exactly how it's gonna work but also so i know that i'm not gonna have issues with people yanking content if they leave on bad terms since oops that was nearly a thing i had to deal with before). and i know some people get turned off by seeing all the backend stuff when i'm soundboarding, oops, which is why i'm grateful people are actually posting in this since it's nice soundboarding some of this off other people who're interested in the idea.

for the feedback:

1: i'm p sure i'm leaning towards doing away with the trainer levels + experience. i can phase things in well enough just using the basic ranks (since i mean. 3/6/9 max party size for each rank. mega evolutions unlock at adept. permanent megas unlock at expert. each ranking gets 6 moddable areas. novices can only get basic pokemon for wild battles (aka pichu or charmander or eevee; basically the lowest evolution form), adepts can get basic or middle evo pokemon (basically charmeleon is a yes, espeon is a no), and then experts can get middle or final evo pokemon (so espeon, charmeleon, and raichu are all possible). and the way i've been working, raids are repeatable (meaning that both your character can run the same raid multiple times if you want and that multiple threads can exist to fight the same raid boss at the any time), so it would just. make them required in the sense that you have to complete at least a third of them (since at most i'd require 3/6 to rank up, though i also might do 2/5, idk), maybe half if i decide to gate off legendaries behind their own "rank" so to speak.

some of the reason i'm debating switching things out like this is to minimize both actual staff work (since levels + experience would be tracked in profile fields, thus requiring staff edits in the admin cp and staff actually making the final posts in all quests and mod threads since you'd get a tiny bit from mods + solos, more from normal quests, and the most from raids) and to minimize the amount of micromanagement-style grinding that you'd have to do (which yeah, some of that is hand-in-hand with the vr-mmo genre but to a certain extent... i don't want the site to be endless grinding, i have a life outside of this and i just... don't enjoy grinding for ages to make progress that feels fairly meaningless in the grand scheme of things). plus i like that it kind of pushes people towards participating in larger threads (where they're more likely to interact with people) where the pure exp system could end up with someone just. soloing their way to the expert area if they're patient enough and diligent enough with the limitations. (which is especially important since you can't unlock new areas until the latest raid boss is defeated at least once, so to that regard, it's rewarding you for going towards site progression since you just need a number of the raids beaten, not specific raids beaten, so you can mix and match if you can't or don't want to run the current "end-game" raid.)

and i mean. tbeh the levels didn't really do a whole lot in and of themselves anyway. it was just a slower scaling for increasing party size. i was already using the ranks to parse out the areas and some of the quests (since imo no point in having quests for mega stones if you can't mega evolve yet) and as rough thresholds for determining how many active megas you could have at one time, so it wasn't honestly that much of a leap. it's literally just. taking out two extra numbers that required staff tracking and making it so you just have to count the z-crystal pictures on the side to verify if someone needs to be ranked up to a new permission mask / member group.

2a: oh yeah no there would definitely be a thread for explaining the character class with both like. a little bit of flavor text (like that the warriors come from the long ago land of ransei, where they would wage war on each other and make links with their pokemon and, according to legend, could even transform and evolve as their partners did) and an actual explanation of what the perks are. which i do like the idea of having perks on the classes since it actually adds back some of that mmo feel again (since it kind of reminds me a bit of the healer / dps / tank or the support / healing / damager breakdowns for some games). especially since i still really don't. want to try to work out official coordinator events or a meaningful equivalent for each additional class (since it wouldn't be fair to give that to only one class).

plus it adds a bit of flavor and just. makes for some cool actual groups to pick from that actually mean something for character development. (please consider some villain insisting that they're a warrior when in truth they're just a coordinator.) and i mean. it's not like it really adds in a lot more work to do perks since most of the perks are stuff that's managed user-end (like i legit think coordinator and maybe breeder are the only ones who get perks staff have to remember to account for, and neither are particularly hard to keep up with since it's just "remember coordinators get to have 2 moves for each pokemon they find instead of 1" and "remember breeders fill an extra slot with nothing when they add to a mystery egg".)

2b: yeah like i said. the scavenging mechanic is definitely cool and i like it. and i would not hesitate to incorporate it into a site if it weren't staring down all the reasons why it might be a bad idea. (which i mean, the members would actually be able to roll all that since like i said, i am farming as much modding out to members as possible; not that ya'll have to do it, mind you, but if you have time, you're more than able to pop into a raid thread and play the boss rq or show up for a quest to hand out a result on a roll or toss a new pokemon for someone's wild thread.)

and i mean. sure i could say y'know. "hey the game's coding bugs out when you try to cheat your way around the issue without the pokemon" but at the same time i just. do not want to deal with That One Guy (tm) who would whine about how his character could definitely do it without the pokemon and all that. and i know that i'd get one at some point since pokemon + mmo seems to attract the powergamers like catnip.

3: yeah no i definitely like it too! i'm actually surprised at how much i like it. because it turns breeding into something you actually have to coordinate on a lil bit, makes it so it's not gender-bound or reliant on a ditto, and gives it an extra hint of randomness so it's not just "oh yeah sure let me breed my ponyta and give you an egg so you can have one now".

plus i've always liked some of the mechanics of eggs (since i liked being able to reward members for being active in a thread with their characters and progressing their storylines), so this would allow me to take what i liked about the eggs and keep it in a way that actually feels good with how the rest of it is implemented.
last edit on Jun 12, 2019 0:13:00 GMT by Kuroya

Army-Crushing Star
pronounsSey/Sem
274written posts
Benetnaschearned bits
offlinecurrently
Benetnasch
Benetnasch Avatar
All my attempts to rp end in failure, so now I'm a solo act.
I've always been on the fence when it comes to panfandom, but...I'm weak for vrmmo's. And Detective Pikachu has given me a mighty need for Pokemon rps.
aliasjo, honey
pronounsfeminine
645written posts
offlinecurrently
Part of the Furniture
neincat Avatar
i just wanted to second jo's suggestion regarding how to measure experience. a project i'm working on uses milestone leveling, and it could definitely work for you, too. characters level up based on participation in events, missions, and raids that move the site's narrative forward. two of the main reasons why we chose to go with this type of leveling system are: 1) it's a lot less work for the staff team, and 2) we didn't want a system tied to points, posts, or anything that could quickly devolve into a grind for our members.

anyway, i'm here for this idea. if you create a discord server to hang out in, spitball ideas etc. etc., i'd love to get an invite.
lol thanks beelz, i knew the system was called that but it completely flew from my mind for the moment so i was like that one kid like 'uhm it's kinda like ... u know ...' trying to describe it.

uwu just feel free to ping my ass if you ever come through with the thing bc at this point it seems to be in the process of being polished + the whole detective pikachu movie is certain to bring in new people to the pokemon hype.
4,238written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
i'm more than a little early for this and i'm mobile rn but. i started throwing together a discord so if people want to pm me for the link, they're more than welcome to o/

4,238written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
honestly i should hard rework the original post and just bite the bullet but.

eyyyyy i updated it with some things i had already decided and did some hard decision-making today too on some things i was split on. the big ones were that i decided to go full on 18+ and panfandom, so. yeah.

once again, if anyone's interested in joining the site-building discord, just toss me a pm and i'll throw you the invite!

4,238written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
william afton voice "i always come back"

no but all joking aside, this hasn't been forgotten! in fact, i actually snagged a url today so i can start actually making concrete progress towards setting us up instead of just rambling into notepad++ when i have the time.

i'm looking to be shifting us into a semi-private site as well (as in we'll do periodic full open periods before dropping into a closed community) and aiming towards being a lot more lax in guidelines as a result of that, but i'll ramble more on that at a later date. for now i'm just gonna say that i'm hoping for a tentative soft open next month if i can get my act together, but hey, i'm the only one throwing the thing together right now, so y'know, be aware that you're just gonna have to be patient while i work things out to get a solid base for us to stand on!

and, y'know, as always, if you want to join the site-building discord where you can whack me with a stick, hey, just toss me a pm and i'll send you an invite.