aliasantiviral
pronounsHe/Him
217written posts
Beetleearned bits
offlinecurrently
Beetle
Beetle Avatar
Sharp Avatar
Do you all think I should add a policy on animangads against affiliating/advertising from sites that monetize their content (like buying things with real money for character options). I'm sure some of you will say "not really a widespread issue", but let's just say it started to become more prevelant. Would you want sites like that to be excluded from being listed on a directory?
Is that really a thing?

Solar Waltz
, an 18+ panfandom set in nyc
540written posts
Sharpearned bits
offlinecurrently
Sharp
Part of the Furniture
Sharp Avatar
I like big fonts and I cannot lie
Beetle Avatar
Sharp Avatar
Do you all think I should add a policy on animangads against affiliating/advertising from sites that monetize their content (like buying things with real money for character options). I'm sure some of you will say "not really a widespread issue", but let's just say it started to become more prevelant. Would you want sites like that to be excluded from being listed on a directory?
Is that really a thing?

Iโ€™m treading carefully on answering that because I donโ€™t want to break a certain rule. So Iโ€™m really just trying to get some idea of how people feel about that concept as I am considering if I
should adopt a policy similar to RPG-D which disallows sites that do it to list.
last edit on Oct 28, 2021 21:48:59 GMT by Sharp
540written posts
Sharpearned bits
offlinecurrently
Sharp
Part of the Furniture
Sharp Avatar
scylla Avatar
Sharp Avatar
I didnโ€™t know sites like this existed, tbh.

But if your members want to spend their money to RP on other sites, I believe they should have the option. Itโ€™s their life and money at the end of the day, if thatโ€™s something people are interested in, you should just let them do it as long as itโ€™s not harming anyone.

Animangads is an advertising platform the community uses and not a forum with membership that I am trying to box in or anything. Iโ€™m more asking if having those type of sites listed on a resource site I run is something people are cool with or if theyโ€™d prefer listings that are not for profit only.

Or for those that mostly just use Pixel Perfect. Would you be annoyed if say a genshin impact inspired rp (this is just a theoretical forum) that had real paid transactions in it was listed up in the affiliates or ad spot at the top of pixel perfect?
last edit on Oct 28, 2021 22:29:17 GMT by Sharp
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
I didn't even know some sites monetize their content. I'm not sure about adding a policy against affiliating/advertising but would maybe adding a sorting option so that we know which sites are monetizing their content verses the ones that aren't. Assuming that wouldn't be too much trouble unless you'd rather add the policy which I wouldn't be against just because I wouldn't be joining a site that monetize their content anyway, but that doesn't mean others wouldn't. So I don't know, it feels like a tough call still but I know I'd want a way to see the difference if both are allowed.
the eldritch truth
pronounsHe/Him
1,102written posts
Phantasmearned bits
offlinecurrently
Phantasm
Part of the Furniture
Phantasm Avatar
Sharp Avatar

Yes, fuck 'em

I'd consider sites that take donations to pay server costs something different, as long as those donations don't earn you anything
last edit on Oct 28, 2021 23:33:34 GMT by Phantasm
pronounsshe/her
404written posts
scyllaearned bits
offlinecurrently
scylla
scylla Avatar
Sharp Avatar
scylla Avatar
I didnโ€™t know sites like this existed, tbh.

But if your members want to spend their money to RP on other sites, I believe they should have the option. Itโ€™s their life and money at the end of the day, if thatโ€™s something people are interested in, you should just let them do it as long as itโ€™s not harming anyone.
Animangads is an advertising platform the community uses and not a forum with membership that I am trying to box in or anything. Iโ€™m more asking if having those type of sites listed on a resource site I run is something people are cool with or if theyโ€™d prefer listings that are not for profit only.

Or for those that mostly just use Pixel Perfect. Would you be annoyed if say a genshin impact inspired rp (this is just a theoretical forum) that had real paid transactions in it was listed up in the affiliates or ad spot at the top of pixel perfect?

Ahh. Well, again. Itโ€™s up to the people if they want to spend money, so. It wouldnโ€™t bother me to affiliate. It is what it is.
pronounsAny
39written posts
caporushesearned bits
offlinecurrently
caporushes
caporushes Avatar
I mean it sounds like you're uncomfortable with it, so not affiliating Animangads with sites like this seems like a reasonable call--but having them listed, to me, seems fine. I don't know that it feels immoral or anything to me personally so much as a bit tacky.

A Gilded Age-Inspired 18+ Fantasy RPG
Tidal Wave
aliasAkira, Tsunami, Tsu, Aki
pronounsAny
4,146written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
offlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
I've got a hurricane in my head, I can't feel a thing, but it's better than dead
I know in the past, I had set up where people could donate to my paypal to help run ad-free and help with site storage options for more plugins and the like. All in all it wasn't that expensive, and people were happy to do it. I know that's not the same thing that people are talking about here, but I feel that if people really want to spend their money to RP, then they should be allowed to do so? Idk. I'm a sucker too so.

540written posts
Sharpearned bits
offlinecurrently
Sharp
Part of the Furniture
Sharp Avatar
caporushes Avatar
I mean it sounds like you're uncomfortable with it, so not affiliating Animangads with sites like this seems like a reasonable call--but having them listed, to me, seems fine. I don't know that it feels immoral or anything to me personally so much as a bit tacky.
Eh, I'm not going to just go with my gut on things like that when a lot of people still use the site to find places. More interested in seeing what opinions look like before I make any changes, even if it is just random people in the community that may not even use that site it is helpful.
last edit on Oct 29, 2021 0:39:13 GMT by Sharp
phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,238written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
at this, the world's end, do we cast off tomorrow~!
this is less a confession and more a burning rp question i am yeeting into the world.

aka i don't see a whole lot of ads for panfandoms on resource sites + site-to-site advertising, but it feels like so many of them are absolutely massive by the time they open even when i don't see a tumblr buzz and i'm just. burning to know where it is they're advertising that's making such a difference-

aliasraisin
pronounsshur
87written posts
reisenearned bits
offlinecurrently
reisen
Spring '21 Dev Completionist
reisen Avatar
Kuroya Avatar
this is less a confession and more a burning rp question i am yeeting into the world.

aka i don't see a whole lot of ads for panfandoms on resource sites + site-to-site advertising, but it feels like so many of them are absolutely massive by the time they open even when i don't see a tumblr buzz and i'm just. burning to know where it is they're advertising that's making such a difference-
boy howdy. that's like word of mouth between separate blob-schisms of the same panfan goers. think of like a giant gelatinous cube moving from room to room, occasionally shunting smaller versions of itself, as it moves from dungeon room to room. that's why some get huge and some don't. might be too vaguey for me to say.
Tidal Wave
aliasAkira, Tsunami, Tsu, Aki
pronounsAny
4,146written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
offlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
I've got a hurricane in my head, I can't feel a thing, but it's better than dead
What kind of members are your favorite kind of members? That's kind of an open freaking question that might cause trouble... oh well.

I don't mean specific people or call outs or nothing like that.

For me, my favorite members are the ones that actively love the site. They talk about it outside of rp. Talk about it to their friends. They are always actively around and throwing out ideas for plots and actively taking parts in the community. The ones that are super helpful and take time to gobble up all the lore and help out new members when they come because they are filled with the knowledge of the site. Those kinds of members are cool.

I'm not even talking people that post constantly or whatever, but just the kind of people that really enjoy being around. As a staff, those are the ones I like to see.

540written posts
Sharpearned bits
offlinecurrently
Sharp
Part of the Furniture
Sharp Avatar
Kuroya Avatar

zugzwang did a lot of site to site when they started. Used to see their ads everywhere.They posted ads 18 times on Animangads alone during what I assume were site to site sprees because they were everywhere I would advertise for various placed for many months.
last edit on Oct 31, 2021 16:32:05 GMT by Sharp
phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,238written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
at this, the world's end, do we cast off tomorrow~!
Sharp Avatar
Kuroya Avatar

zugzwang did a lot of site to site when they started. Used to see their ads everywhere.They posted ads 18 times on Animangads alone during what I assume were site to site sprees because they were everywhere I would advertise for various placed for many months.

uh. 100000% no offense but. zugzwang is really. not so much the case study i'm wanting to look at. largely because they're going on what, two years now? and i'm more trying to get at a phenomenon that's going on right now in the current panfandom climate with brand new sites.

which is that the past.... idk 6+ months, when i've clicked ads for any brand new panfandoms (as in they just started advertising within the past few days or weeks), it's always been to like. 2+ pages of member directory and 70+ accounts right off the bat. and i'm always. so baffled. because i have the eyes to see they're not really advertising site-to-site or on directories or on tumblr (or doing a site buzz on tumblr). and it feels like it's too big to be purely word of mouth. so i'm just. burningly curious for if there's some other method they're using to advertise themselves that's causing that massive pre-opening bump (like if that crazy bird app is actually working for them) or if i'm just vastly underestimating the power of panfandom cliques.
last edit on Oct 31, 2021 17:26:00 GMT by Kuroya