A New Place to Call Home?

pronounsShe/Her
2written posts
gossamerearned bits
offlinecurrently
gossamer
gossamer Avatar
So, for the first time in over 15 years, I am without a roleplay forum to call home.  And now here I am, tentatively testing the waters to see just what is out there!  I'd love to find a new place to inspire my creativity.

What sort of site am I looking for though?
  • Genres: Fantasy (especially medieval or historical), Final Fantasy (preferably IX, X, XI, or XIV), Steampunk, Sci-fi.  I'll look at modern settings as well (as long as they have some fantasy aspect), but it's not something I'm super looking for at the moment.

Please no panfandoms, crossover fandoms, or any kind of canon-only fandom site.  I'm willing to look at a site focused on a single fandom though.  Just please no Harry Potter, Pokemon, or Naruto.  

• Character Progression/Game Systems: Whether its stats, skills, levels, whatever. I'd love a game that gives me something concrete to build towards, and where I can collect xp (or whatever your equivalent is) and a character can grow with it. Definitely not required, but huge, huge, huge bonus points if you have something like this. Dice are cool too. The gamer in me loves to use dice to enhance emergent storytelling. 

• Dangerous Worlds and Horror Themes: Certainly not required, but I've always had a love of horror and spooky settings.  Things where Vampires and Demons and such are actually terrifying and dangerous, and humans struggle against the unknowable.  

• Community-driven World Building: I love being able to contribute to world-building, and especially see a world that can change and grow over time based on player actions

• Open Graphics Policy: I personally prefer to use artwork for my character graphics.  Required celebrity face claims are a deal breaker for me.  My favorite policy, however, is one without claims and people just use whatever they personally find fitting for their character, no matter the style.  But as long as I can use artwork (with whatever source/usage rules your site has), I'll be happy.

• Simple and Readable Posts: What I mean by this is that a community that doesn't require complex posting templates or html templates and the like. I'm a very good coder, but I am also old and tired and enjoy the simple life. If a site is heavy on aesthetic templates, and such things are expected, it's not the site for me. I'd also prefer a site where things like small font sizes and low contrast text color is avoided in member post templates.

On top of this, I do have a specific character who you get mega bonus points for if you have a site that would fit his unique skillset.  He was designed for a medieval fantasy world (i.e. he was created as a D&D character), but I can adapt him to other settings as well:
Frey is a young man who grew up on the streets, but managed his con his way into high society as a charlatan fortune teller and spirit medium.  He became something of a celebrity amongst the rich and the idle, peddling his fortunes, his visions, and manipulating people all for a chance to stay in their fancy homes.  And while over time he grew to understand just how he was hurting people with this charade, he was terrified of giving up the life he had gained and falling back to what he used to be.  Meanwhile, he finds himself awakening to legitimate spiritual powers -- the very same ones he had always lied about (i.e. foresight, prophetic visions, and the ability to see, hear, and channel spirits of the dead).
If I found a good setting for him, I'd probably want to play him from his teenage years and how he conned his way into his career and reputation, or into early adulthood when things are becoming less stable.  I also have commissioned artwork of this character I'd like to use.

pronounshe/him
732written posts
illidan mainearned bits
offlinecurrently
illidan main
Part of the Furniture
illidan main Avatar
Hey so I have a fantasy site that's not quite finished yet, but is opening up for soft opening while I finish the skin and arrange everything outside of google docs. We fit most of your criteria, including an optional progression system that is tied to post count and lets you progress. We do, however, have Face Claims-- any illustrated source is fine, and we're even ok with people forgoing the claim entirely. We allow original art, so if you have commissioned art of Frey, it totally works.

Ars Arcanum is a very high fantasy setting with inspiration from D&D 5e. Using D&D's system, we have created an original fantasy world mostly inspired by Azeroth. The main story revolves around nations adjusting to the fall of the yuan-ti Empire subjugating the world to unification, and the calamity that ended the empire being a persistent threat. Even in the end times, though, mortals cannot work together in peace. The tech level mirrors Warcraft, in that guns and airships and communication devices do exist, but not everyone has access to them and not everyone uses them. It's fantasy-tech, not so much medieval but also not so much Victorian.

Frey would work as a College of Spirits Bard, I can already see, or perhaps even a Divination wizard, with some adjustments to give him prophetic visions. We allow some wiggle room with classes and powers. Given the fall of the Empire made plenty of people desperate for money, swindling is definitely a possible option for a desperate kid. Perhaps he can even be a refugee, and that could make his situation even more dire.

Anyway feel free to DM me if you're interested; I can send you the discord link, or you can be asked to put on a waitlist while I work on the skin c:.

avatar and hover by phobic art, commissioned for me
23written posts
razzledazzleearned bits
offlinecurrently
razzledazzle
razzledazzle Avatar
Hi . I know this is a kind of old request, but I'm gonna shoot my shot lol. I run an AU Sailor Moon board, but canon knowledge isn't required if you want to come play magical boys/girls in a space opera. We're very open to OCs, most of us play at least one. In terms of world building a lot of us have made up our own planets to be homes for our characters, you could definitely make one to fit Frey into with some power tweaks to make him more magical. We use only animated faces or no faces at all. We don't allow post templates, because I'm also old and can't read them. The danger is real, we're building up the main plot now, but welcome member input and running their own plots. The only point we don't meet is the stat system. 

If you have questions, let me know. :)

Rules ~ Canons ~ Plot ~ Discord

It should be the Golden Age of Humanity. Neo Queen Serenity rules a planet at peace at long last, but rumors of a new threat, an unbeatable weapon, has Sailor Soldiers, heroes, civilians, and even villains fleeing to Earth to seek the protection of the legendary queen.

As long as the moonlight shines, evil can still be defeated.

But weโ€™re running out of moonlight.

Itโ€™s time to take a stand.

Itโ€™s Moon Revenge

Canons and OCs welcomed.
last edit on Feb 8, 2022 21:51:49 GMT by razzledazzle
internally screaming
pronounsshe/her
1,793written posts
Nekoearned bits
offlinecurrently
Neko
Administrator
Neko Avatar
stressed, depressed, and probably not well-dressed
[nospaces]

[attr="class","infoBG"]
[attr="class","infoBG2"]
[attr="class","infoBack"]
[attr="class","infoTitle"][attr="class","fa fa-star-o"] threadarchived
[attr="class","infoDiv"]

[attr="class","infoBody"]

This thread hasn't had any replies since a month ago - feel free to repost if you wish!