Wonderstruck [general IC]

pronounsThey/Them
544written posts
Coyoteearned bits
offlinecurrently
Coyote
Part of the Furniture
Coyote Avatar

Please forgive my basic ass code, I'm not great at coding from scratch!

Wonderstruck is an upcoming Quasispirits panfandom with a focus on Disney & Dreamworks properties, the bulk of the roleplay will be centered around a magic school with inspiration taken from Harry Potter and the Owl House, but familiarity with either property is not needed as only inspiration is being taken from these properties.

The site will focus mainly on Disney and Dreamworks properties, which will include any non-directly related media either company owns (for example, Marvel and Star Wars.) The site will be 2-2-2 rated and hosted on Jcink.

What to Expect
  • Jcink hosted, 2-2-2 rating, non-premium but members will need to be 18+ to join.
  • Illustrated graphics, characters will use their own faces unless they're from a live action film or series, if this is the case you can use drawn fanart or an animanga face, but face claims likely wont be tracked.
  • No hard activity requirements, instead we'll be conducting roll calls every three or so month just to check in and see what characters are being dropped or put on hiatus.
  • No word count, write however much you need but communicate with your partner if you have your own expectations.
  • You'll only need to fill out a freeform profile app that can be filled out however you like.

What does Quasispirits mean?
When I use the term 'quasispirits', it basically means that the characters still look like themselves, but are still being adapted into the world as though they've always lived in it, rather than transported there with their own canon memories.

You're essentially making them into new characters while still keeping the core of who they are, you're welcome to weave hints of their canon story in such as Rapunzel still being taken as a baby and raised by her abusive captor, but there is no expectation for this to be the case, so long as they still retain some of themselves in their behavior.

What about animal and inanimate objects?
For any characters that are animals or non-living objects (such as Simba or Lightning McQueen) you MUST use some kind of human or humanoid face for them, this can be fanart that depicts them as humans, semi-human, or in the case of an animal character, anthro(you can also just use their animal face, but out in the world they'll still be played as though they're a bipedal anthro).

What media will be allowed?
You will be allowed to play characters from Disney and Dreamworks properties, including studios owned by said companies. This means Marvel and Star Wars will be allowed, Ghibli films will be allowed, as well as characters from any of their TV series. This means there's a pretty hefty well of characters you can pull from!

The only media that will not be permitted will be anything from series aimed at very young children(such as shows that would air on Disney Jr. and the like), I may allow other western media in the future, but for now this is the main focus! I'm always open to being asked if a character would be allowed if you're not sure!

The Covens
Covens are inspired by the Owl House and how they function in that world, but for us they serve mostly the same sort of purpose as a Hogwarts House aswell. There are nine covens as follows:

• Abomination - Magi in this coven use and command constructs made from magic to do their bidding.
  • Bardic - Magi in this coven use sound and music to cast their spells.
  • Beast Keeping - This coven specializes in the taming and study of magical creatures.
  • Construction - Specializes in earth based magic used to build and form structures.
  • Healing - Study healing magic used to cure wounds and ailments.
  • Illusionist - Magi trained in the art of casting illusions on themselves and others.
  • Plant - Magi who have developed the ability to grow and control plants.
  • Oracle - Known for telepathy, fortune telling, and clairvoyance based magic.
  • Potion - Magi in this coven use spells in tandem with alchemical formulas for their magic.

I'm more than happy to answer any questions or clarify anything that needs clearing up, I know I tend to be a little rambling and incoherent at times, I'm already in the process of setting the site up and will provide updates as I go along!

Thanks for reading my little elevator pitch!

last edit on Jun 6, 2022 16:38:33 GMT by Coyote
the waking storm
aliasLuxu, TenebraeQueene
pronounsShe/They
313written posts
Galeforceearned bits
offlinecurrently
Galeforce
Galeforce Avatar
covered in scars but roses are coming through the cracks
I'm super curious about this! But I do have a question. Wouldn't it be better to have a Coven based on elements instead of just plants? I don't know anything about Owl House, so I don't get the context much. But I was just wondering. Like, if I wanted to take Jack Frost from Rise of the Guardians, what Coven would he go to? :o Sorry, I'm just so excited! I'm trying to plan out who I'll wanna app first! xD
pronounsThey/Them
544written posts
Coyoteearned bits
offlinecurrently
Coyote
Part of the Furniture
Coyote Avatar
Galeforce Avatar
I'm super curious about this! But I do have a question. Wouldn't it be better to have a Coven based on elements instead of just plants? I don't know anything about Owl House, so I don't get the context much. But I was just wondering. Like, if I wanted to take Jack Frost from Rise of the Guardians, what Coven would he go to? :o Sorry, I'm just so excited! I'm trying to plan out who I'll wanna app first! xD

This is actually something I thought about AFTER I posted this thread, so I'm glad you asked!

I'm probably gonna tweak the list of covens! There'll be an Elementalist coven for characters like Jack or Elsa for example! I intend to post the new list when I finish sorting it all out to give you an idea!

Thank you for the interest though! I'm excited about this idea and glad to see other people are also into it!
pronounsThey/Them
544written posts
Coyoteearned bits
offlinecurrently
Coyote
Part of the Furniture
Coyote Avatar

Covens
Covens act as member groups and name colors, but go much deeper than that in this world. You are given your coven at the age of 16 after an assessment to determine what your innate magic looks like. Being sorted into your coven is probably the most important part of a magic user's life, as it will follow them for the rest of their lives.

The covens are four main branches that break off into smaller sub classes, typically a magic user will be able to comfortably cast spells from any class within their coven, but some will come to specialize in a single branch. Using magic outside of your coven while not impossible is often dangerous and prone to magical backfiring, leading the school to ban the use of magic outside of one's own branch on school grounds.

Covens outside of school will assist a magic user in finding jobs and filling their niche in the world related to their branch, and covenless magic users are often seen as dangerous and unpredictable.

Covens & Sub-classes
Covens are divided into four distinct groups, but each group has a handful of possible classes associated with it, they are as follows:

Elemental
Ice, Plant, Earth, Fire, etc.
Masters of the elements, many will have one specific branch of elemental magic that they are especially good at casting, but all elementalists can cast any spells on some level.

Mind
Oracle, Illusion, Hypnosis, Dreamwalking, etc.
Magic users in this coven are masters of the mind, using their magic to see into the future, create sophisticated illusions, even walk in people's dreams. These mages tend to be more heavily watched than others because of the ways their magic can be abused.

Dominion
Beast Keeping, Abomination, Necromancy, Summoning, etc.
Mages that command constructs of their own conjuring or living beings are sorted into this coven. Their magic can control the dead, communicate with animals, even summon lesser demons and feinds to do their bidding. The only thing no Control mage can do is take control of another person.

Enchanting
Bard, Healing, Potion, Sigil, etc.
The mages in this coven don't perform magic by traditional means, they require some form of reagent or impliment to make their magic work properly. For the bards it's their instruments, for the potion makers it's the natural ingredients. Whatever the case they cannot cast spells without something to cast them with.

Covenless mages
The last type of magic user is considered the most unpredictable and dangerous, covenless mages never take the assessment to determine where they fit in, this means they are able to use just about any kind of magic provided they know how. The trade off to this is that their spells tend to be unpredictable and backfire easily. Covenless magic is known as Wild Magic, and mages who practice it are often looked at with distrust and fear.

Those who shun the coven ritual likely never attend Apricus University and instead keep to themselves, though recently some have started organizing, which many suspicious types believe is the calm before the storm.

As always thank you for reading all this, everything will be explained better in the guidebook, but this is a more digestible overview of what to expect! I'm always happy to answer questions if you have them!

the waking storm
aliasLuxu, TenebraeQueene
pronounsShe/They
313written posts
Galeforceearned bits
offlinecurrently
Galeforce
Galeforce Avatar
covered in scars but roses are coming through the cracks
If characters are 16 and older for Covens, then how do you handle younger characters, like Lilo, Chihiro, or Boo? Do kids have access to Wild Magic as well?

Do you also have areas for non-academy characters? Like a town/village? For people who want to play civilians and the like?

pronounsThey/Them
544written posts
Coyoteearned bits
offlinecurrently
Coyote
Part of the Furniture
Coyote Avatar
For the second question, yes! The setting is going to be a good sized college town that's built up around the school over the years, so while the school is the center piece, there's a whole city attached to it for non-students and even students to explore and get into trouble with!

16 is just the general age that magic starts to show itself in this setting and the age that most kids start school, I haven't entirely decided how I want to handle kids younger than like 14? 14 will probably be the cut off since there's less to do with younger characters unless you have a bunch of other teeny boppers to write against? So for characters younger than 14 I'd say they'll likely have to have aged to at least that age.

I don't intend to let people age up minors to 18 just to put them in mature situations anyway, so I don't think there's an issue with aging characters up a little bit, but I'm on the fence on this one it's the one thing I can't make a decision on tbh?

I'm open to thoughts as to the best way to handle littles like Boo and Lilo and such!