Resizing for Affiliate Buttons?

pronounsThey/Them
544written posts
Coyoteearned bits
offlinecurrently
Coyote
Part of the Furniture
Coyote Avatar
I don't know where else to pose this question but if I don't ask it will continue to bother me!

So when it comes to resizing images specifically for 88x31 affiliate buttons...What are the tricks? I have a pretty solid handle on most art programs but no matter what techniques I try my images always shrink down to be REALLY DEEP FRIED, I have literally never been able to figure out the right combinations of settings to make affiliate buttons look at least halfway decent.

But I see a bunch where the image is mostly clear and visible and I can't figure out how people do that!

So I'm asking just, in general, if anyone has any specific tips in regards to making a nice affiliate button!

I appreciate anyone who peeks in and obliges my weird question!
local boogeyman
aliasbex, jeepers cats
pronounsshe/any
730written posts
sister ghoulearned bits
offlinecurrently
sister ghoul
Part of the Furniture
sister ghoul Avatar
they pull the axe out your face and say "was it the boogeyman?"
my secret is that if I can- I like to cheat and use 100x100 icons as my base lmao. Iโ€™ve done it a lot. 

but if I donโ€™t do that and just make it from scratch, I often have to play around with the sizing a lot. Usually I will set the size for whichever dimension is smaller first, since I have less space to work with, and go from there. It also helps to pick a specific part of the image, and not the entire image itself. Iโ€™m sure you do a lot of this already, but I dunno what you do and donโ€™t know lmao