aliasray
pronounshe/him
30written posts
scaramoucheearned bits
offlinecurrently
scaramouche
scaramouche Avatar
working tirelessly on my site
yes, I saw the thread called solo admin question but it didn't really cover some of the questions I have.

• should I have a char in every group for maximal plot potential (and as an example for each group?)
  • how much info is too much or too little, bc I'm struggling with how much to include or exclude (I just have too many ideas!)
  • would it be strange to hire a staffy that primarily is in charge of the discord while I still learn the ropes? (I have been IN discord servers but never run one before) it could be a temp position if somebody didn't want to keep the job
  • setting up archives, do I have subs for all the different forums or just dump them all in one archive forum when they're done?
  • what do you expect to see in a shop nowadays?

there's likely more but I appreciate any time and effort if you reply and help a panicking solo admin out!

modern supernatural rp coming soon!
local boogeyman
aliasbex, jeepers cats
pronounsshe/any
735written posts
sister ghoulearned bits
offlinecurrently
sister ghoul
Part of the Furniture
sister ghoul Avatar
they pull the axe out your face and say "was it the boogeyman?"
1. I always like having at least one character in each member group whether Iโ€™m staff or not, but I do think itโ€™s beneficial for some of the reasons you mentioned. I also donโ€™t think itโ€™s a bad idea to have examples of what you expect for apps per member group. But of course, know your own limits as a writer too. 

2. As someone who loves lore, I do think when there is too much that it becomes overwhelming for people to understand your ideas. Iโ€™ve seen a lot of sites lately employing mandatory and extra reading is something I will be implementing on my own sites in the future.

3. no, not really. Especially if youโ€™re still learning the ropes, it may not be a bad idea to hire a community mod to help with discord. Honestly solo adminning imo is much harder than it used to be, idk how people do it successfully 

4. personally I just have an โ€œarchivesโ€ board and i prefer to use multiple subboards just to make it for staff and members to find out what theyโ€™re looking for.

5. for shops, I donโ€™t really love them personally, but typically I see shops used as a means for site and rp balancing purposes. Like itโ€™s not uncommon to see sites with character limits and other then having the opportunity to purchase more character slots down the line. 

hope this helps 

no angel in you
aliasJen, DeJener8
pronounsShe/her
276written posts
Jenesisearned bits
offlinecurrently
Jenesis
Jenesis Avatar
Hoarding problematic men for fun and profit
scaramouche Avatar
should I have a char in every group for maximal plot potential (and as an example for each group?)

Honestly depends? I don't know how your groups are set up or how many groups you have. If you have a faction-based plot with roughly 5-6 factions then it's probably a good idea, but don't make characters that you don't actually want to write. If your membergroups are purely based on aesthetics then there's no need, because it's not like having many or few of any group will affect how often those groups can get plots.

how much info is too much or too little, bc I'm struggling with how much to include or exclude (I just have too many ideas!)

I have a preference for shorter lorebooks, but again it's hard to say precisely without knowing what your site is about. (A site with nonhumans will need more lore than a site with only-humans, for example.) I do prefer the option of having a FAQ section in your guidebook so that questions people come up with that weren't already in the lore can be added in on an as-needed basis.

would it be strange to hire a staffy that primarily is in charge of the discord while I still learn the ropes? (I have been IN discord servers but never run one before) it could be a temp position if somebody didn't want to keep the job

Not strange at all, just like some sites have mods who only do coding and such.

setting up archives, do I have subs for all the different forums or just dump them all in one archive forum when they're done?

IMO, what kind of archives setup you have is less important than actually using it. This means proactively archiving your own threads when they're done, having an easy ticket system for members to request their threads be archived, and going through and sweeping out incomplete threads after activity checks where members have left.

You really don't need more than a single archives board, but if you want to subdivide it, I like completed/incompleted/"other" (non-thread things like want ads and plotters) and maybe a board for comms archives if you allow comms threads.

what do you expect to see in a shop nowadays?

Things I like in a shop:
-character powerups/character slots, if you're a site that gates those things
-tickets to app/promote to site canon positions, if you're a site that includes those roles
-"create your own board/lore" tickets for people who want to add onto the world and have earned the points to show they're a dedicated member
-"member group swap" item to let people sort their ooc accounts automatically. might work on jcink only.

Things that I could honestly take or leave:
-aesthetic badges. If you like 'em they're harmless, if you hate 'em you don't need 'em.
-faceclaim swaps and secondary faceclaims. Not a fan of them but also not gonna get super aggrieved over having it.