pronounshe/him
829written posts
bcearned bits
offlinecurrently
bc
Summer '19 Bingo Completionist
bc Avatar
this is my murder mittens ^-^
me chanting face claim anarchy in the back of the bus everybody else yelling we get it take the other goddamn bus already

confession: i’m reluctant to head admin anything for many reasons, one of them being that i will 100% treat it as an experiment with no regard for consequences (mostly the ones involving my well-being, but also in general tbh impulsivity is a curse and a cross i bear horribly and with no grace).
last edit on May 7, 2024 9:45:51 GMT by bc
aliasclock
pronounsShe/Her
28written posts
clockearned bits
offlinecurrently
clock
clock Avatar
I've paused on my project to help a friend with theirs, considering it's a genre I actually like and WOW, the learning experience is real. It really helps when you have more than one head at work and bounce ideas off each other! It's also nice getting used to Jcink's control panel; dare I say it's personally easier to understand than Proboard's. :eyes:
pronounsshe/her
62written posts
merriearned bits
offlinecurrently
merri
merri Avatar
clock Avatar
I've paused on my project to help a friend with theirs, considering it's a genre I actually like and WOW, the learning experience is real. It really helps when you have more than one head at work and bounce ideas off each other! It's also nice getting used to Jcink's control panel; dare I say it's personally easier to understand than Proboard's. :eyes:

This! Having been working more recently in the jcink control panel, I found coding so much smoother or at least easier to work with than recently when I did code something in proboards. It's interesting to discover how preferences have changed. Rp me of 10 years ago would have never stepped foot into jcink. 🫣
aliasantiviral
pronounsHe/Him
220written posts
Beetleearned bits
offlinecurrently
Beetle
Beetle Avatar
Ouroboros of "the site failed because of lost interest" to "interest was lost because of lack off members" to "new members didn't join because of lack of interest" and rinse and repeat. I really wish a handful of members was enough, because we had some great members, but it makes it that much more impactful when one or two members becomes inactive and it's just a domino effect from there.
aliasThe Moustachioed Greek
pronounshe/him
208written posts
Kostearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kost
Kost Avatar
D-d-digimon!
Beetle Avatar
Ouroboros of "the site failed because of lost interest" to "interest was lost because of lack off members" to "new members didn't join because of lack of interest" and rinse and repeat. I really wish a handful of members was enough, because we had some great members, but it makes it that much more impactful when one or two members becomes inactive and it's just a domino effect from there.
That's why I aspire as staff to also be an active member so that we hopefully never run into that problem. Lead by example and all that.
128written posts
travellerearned bits
offlinecurrently
traveller
traveller Avatar
Kost Avatar
Beetle Avatar
That's why I aspire as staff to also be an active member so that we hopefully never run into that problem. Lead by example and all that.
This is an old refrain we all know the lines to, but culture is set from the top, so I think it's very important staff members are excited to post on the site they staff.

Imagine a site where the first thing you see on Discord is the admin posting political memes. You'd be more likely to also post political memes. On the flipside, if no one ever talked except to link their latest post, you probably also would be hesitant to talk, even if nowhere it's said you cannot use the Discord for idle chatter.

In a game, one of my friends decided he'd start a guild, and he gathered a bunch of us who weren't much of social butterflies and who predominantly solo'd in the game. But because he was always organising groups and getting people to play together, at some point it became natural to follow his lead on logging on, saying hello to everyone, asking if anyone was doing content they wanted a partner on. 
"You've grown soft, your dead friends can attest."
aliasantiviral
pronounsHe/Him
220written posts
Beetleearned bits
offlinecurrently
Beetle
Beetle Avatar
Kost Avatar

I'm sure you had the best intentions, but this comes off as "well you should have been more active. get good.". It's not helpful, and can come off as rude and presumptuous.

One site my sentiment was about was one where most events were just me and the other admin participating, for example. We were active, but, for whatever reason, the premise didn't resonate with other people. A lot of work goes into being an admin, and if that work doesn't result in engagement it's human to start feeling like the costs outweigh the rewards. There's a point where you just have to accept that and move on, and for me that's when a site starts to feel like it's essentially a public 1x1.

I also want to stress that the way I view it is: It's disappointing, and a little sad, but I don't regret it. I'd rather try and fail over not trying and not getting to experience what fun I had while it lasted. Hobbies can be ephemeral and that's okay.
aliasThe Moustachioed Greek
pronounshe/him
208written posts
Kostearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kost
Kost Avatar
D-d-digimon!
Beetle Avatar
Kost Avatar
I'm sure you had the best intentions, but this comes off as "well you should have been more active. get good.". It's not helpful, and can come off as rude and presumptuous.

One site my sentiment was about was one where most events were just me and the other admin participating, for example. We were active, but, for whatever reason, the premise didn't resonate with other people. A lot of work goes into being an admin, and if that work doesn't result in engagement it's human to start feeling like the costs outweigh the rewards. There's a point where you just have to accept that and move on, and for me that's when a site starts to feel like it's essentially a public 1x1.

I also want to stress that the way I view it is: It's disappointing, and a little sad, but I don't regret it. I'd rather try and fail over not trying and not getting to experience what fun I had while it lasted. Hobbies can be ephemeral and that's okay.
Sorry, I did not mean for it to come off that way.

I get it. Sometimes you can put in all the work and still not get the results you hoped for. It is disappointing, but at the end of the day, the goal like with every hobby is to have fun, not to have an "active" site. Sometimes you get to achieve both, and that feels great. Sometimes you don't. Luck and timing are also factors I think. But yeah, I agree. It's best to move on and apply what you learned as an admin on your next project.