Staffing Confessions

aliasantiviral
pronounsHe/Him
220written posts
Beetleearned bits
offlinecurrently
Beetle
Beetle Avatar
The hardest part of starting a new site is dealing with all the people who show up and leave without making a character. Like, I absolutely bare no ill will towards those people, and I've done it myself, but it hits different when you're just starting out and only have 2 or 3 other players on the site. Also realizing I have no idea how to advertise anymore.
aliasmany - just ask!
pronounsShe/They
205written posts
eulalieearned bits
offlinecurrently
eulalie
eulalie Avatar
Let the mighty be humbled.
Without going into detail too much, I have just the biggest sense of relief. I know there was some (relatively) recent discussion about not building a site with friends. But I think it also just depends on how well you mesh (aka great friend, terrible co-worker). Even if it meant losing a friend, sometimes you just need to roll with the punches to open up your site. 

And didn't realize how much this person was holding this back until this last week. Lo-and-behold, we're probably 60% done with where we want to be in the last two weeks, when we were around 30-40% for two months. Like dang..
the chalk prince
aliasrook
pronounsthey / them
928written posts
citrinitasearned bits
offlinecurrently
citrinitas
Part of the Furniture
citrinitas Avatar
i still fall for you like suns do for skies.
repurposing the account of the one we are currently reviewing, creating a whole new character concept separate from the one you just submitted, and writing the entire app start to finish is not the appropriate reaction to staff saying "we are willing to work with you so long as you are willing to work with us".

tldr: it's annoying when people don't work with you and just do their own thing without telling you what they're gonna do.
Tidal Wave
aliasAkira, Tsunami, Tsu, Aki
pronounsAny
4,155written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
offlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
I've got a hurricane in my head, I can't feel a thing, but it's better than dead
have you ever found out from passing guests that your whole site looks super weird because one single board decided to make itself guest friendly, when you totally forgot to move the rp boards out of private and into guest friendly... .-. man i had a whole crisis about it.

so anyone that has viewed my site in the past like however long we've been open months, i am so sorry it looked so wonky. .-.

almost everyone thought it was like that on purpose T.T

pronounshe/him
888written posts
Desmond Milesearned bits
offlinecurrently
Desmond Miles
Part of the Furniture
Desmond Miles Avatar
we will have peace at any cost
AkiraTsunami Avatar
have you ever found out from passing guests that your whole site looks super weird because one single board decided to make itself guest friendly, when you totally forgot to move the rp boards out of private and into guest friendly... .-. man i had a whole crisis about it.

so anyone that has viewed my site in the past like however long we've been open months, i am so sorry it looked so wonky. .-.

almost everyone thought it was like that on purpose T.T

itโ€™s ok when i opened i didnt realize half the ic boards werent even MEMBER enabled ๐Ÿฅฒ๐Ÿฅฒ๐Ÿฅฒ๐Ÿฅฒ๐Ÿฅฒ
aliasResident Dragon
pronounshe/him
22written posts
Yevodearned bits
offlinecurrently
Yevod
Yevod Avatar
Resident Dragon
I wish that people in general would be more upfront with me as a community manager instead of relying on oblique hints for deniability purposes. I have neither the time nor the energy to read subtle cues (that as Iโ€™ve said before do not translate over text-based mediums) or deal with petty and tiresome internet intrigue between members. I donโ€™t know why more people arenโ€™t upfront with me and/or each other, but I donโ€™t have time for intrigue; I donโ€™t consider myself responsible for reading subtle cues.

If there is a problematic member, then either talk with them directly or tell me to take action. Neither I nor any other human being can operate on information that they have no awareness of. If you do not think you are a good fit for the community, you're free to leave. Site membership is a privilege, not a right - something I thought we all knew already.
last edit on Feb 11, 2024 0:39:22 GMT by Yevod
aliasdee
pronounsShe/Her
24written posts
deenaearned bits
offlinecurrently
deena
deena Avatar
deena Avatar
i really want to start my own site. i know exactly what's going to be on it (for the most part lmao), i got the concept of it down, i know there's an audience for it of the sort, all of that good stuff, but i just feel super unmotivated about making it. :/
update: i now have the motivation :triumph:
Tidal Wave
pronounsAny
4,155written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
offlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
I've got a hurricane in my head, I can't feel a thing, but it's better than dead
what do you do when the whole staff team is stressed out and motivation is at an all time low across the board but you still got a site to run lol

Tidal Wave
pronounsAny
4,155written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
offlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
what admin task, other than advertising or other off site related things, do you dislike doing? Whether it be accepting apps -rejecting apps-, updating codes, updating member numbers -like census or whatever-, updating lore, etc. What admin task do you just loathe doing? For me, its hosting events lol, but I still insist on doing so like every season change. I don't know why I do this to myself lol.

aliasJen, DeJener8
pronounsShe/her
270written posts
Jenesisearned bits
offlinecurrently
Jenesis
Jenesis Avatar
Hoarding problematic men for fun and profit
AkiraTsunami Avatar
what admin task, other than advertising or other off site related things, do you dislike doing? Whether it be accepting apps -rejecting apps-, updating codes, updating member numbers -like census or whatever-, updating lore, etc. What admin task do you just loathe doing? For me, its hosting events lol, but I still insist on doing so like every season change. I don't know why I do this to myself lol.

private DMing members, especially to tell them they did something wrong.

fortunately all the sites I'm on use the discord ticket system so it's no longer an issue.