write a reply

Staffing Confessions

pronounsshe/her
328written posts
Mizoearned bits
offlinecurrently
Mizo
Mizo Avatar
If you are reading this, I am beautiful.
wolfe Avatar
cyanide darktearz 💀 Avatar
worse,, there are sites out there that completely disable links for their advertising forum. why? 

That shit's gonna get deleted. I'm not sorry at all cause it's not a fair exchange to begin with. 
Every time I tried that they just repost within a few days so I just stopped.

It's whack but if they're that committed I figured it wasn't worth the effort in deleting when they already put it back up 4-5 times in like 2 weeks.
Also, what's really disgusting is if sites that you know you have never advertised on deliberately post their ad on the "link backs" so that the staff might forget to check and not advertise back on their sites? I've seen some sites do that, and I just- why? 

( ban their ip, seriously )

pronounsshe / her
398written posts
Ven ☆earned bits
offlinecurrently
Ven ☆
Summer '19 Bingo Completionist
Ven ☆ Avatar
got a secret, can you keep it?
I miss being Staff and doing things.

But all the stress that comes with it just… it kind of ruined my muse for a good while, and I seriously considered stepping away from RP for good because of one incident that happened on a place I used to be an Admin on two, almost three years ago now (it was on a Pokémon site, that's all I'm willing to disclose).

It really did a number on me in general, and I just… got averse to the thought of being Staff again when you know that someone on the team isn’t doing their weight and work. Then you get shoved off the team just because you prioritize iRL first before RP, and then it's all downhill from there. The site has long since been closed, but when I look back at it now...

Maybe some people shouldn't take RPing too seriously and mix iRL with online? I mean, we all have lives offline too, right?

(not a callout, just sharing my personal experience!)
last edit on Jan 7, 2020 16:45:13 GMT by Ven ☆

0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
I know the feeling when dealing with those link backs, thankfully I take the time to check them so if I see they don't belong in the link back's or don't follow our rules to make sure we exchange, then I delete their ad from our site. Though I do tend to ask a second opinion before deleting them.
Feline Overlord
aliasChibi
pronounsShe/Her
1,797written posts
Chibi Magicianearned bits
offlinecurrently
Chibi Magician
Spring '21 Dev Completionist
Chibi Magician Avatar
Pure Gremlin Energy
This might be a weird one, but I love seeing face claims get taken. It is interesting to see what style of face claim people like and watching the list grow longer. I find myself looking at my site's face claim a lot, but not to always check reserves, but rather to just look at how long each letter section is, how many from a certain anime/manga/game is taken, etc. I just enjoy looking at it.
aliasNyx
pronounsshe / her
129written posts
avanearned bits
offlinecurrently
avan
avan Avatar
she's the wicked witch of the EAST bro
I'm a people pleaser. A baby, if you will. A majority of my friends know this.

So whenever I hear from members that "people are unhappy" or "people don't like staff" or that "people don't like the site" - it literally kills me. My staff team and I have worked so hard on this project, that hearing people are unhappy or dislike myself and the other staff members - I hate it so much and just want to fix it desperately.

What's more is - as a staff member - sometimes we have to make decisions that involve removing toxic people from our site. But instead of asking staff about the situation: rumors get spread and people talk, when really, we were just trying to make our site a safe and comfortable space for everyone. I get it's "normal" for people to gossip like that, but also my door is always open for members to reach out to me.

I'm always willing to lend an ear to listen to concerns (as long as the 'complaints' are warranted, and people aren't just using me to scream about stuff they hate), and I've always tried to express this when I'm able, or it comes up. But instead, I have to hear about people being upset from other people. It's so hard for me to tell what's true or just speculation or what and it spikes my anxiety way up.

Man sometimes this rp stuff is exhausting. :c
last edit on Jan 9, 2020 6:50:24 GMT by avan

0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar

I finally settle on a skin color set and a theme, and I already want to change it after a couple of months what's wrong with me

But, the layout/colors are so hard to change for the skin I'm using *cries*

I wish there were more pretty Proboards themes/skins to choose from nowadays. There used to be so many before JCINK took over... and the aesthetic ratio of JCINK to Proboards is just insane. Like 7:10.
last edit on Jan 11, 2020 14:34:54 GMT by Deleted
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
So I wrote the other staff today to ask them what we'd do about chatango since flash won't be supported and we made possible plans. Then I realized we just barely started 2020, we have a whole year before we have to worry about it. Thankfully the staff was nice and went along with it since it would be good to have a general idea of what chat we'd like to use if chatango doesn't figure something else so that it continues working. >.>
Feline Overlord
aliasChibi
pronounsShe/Her
1,797written posts
Chibi Magicianearned bits
offlinecurrently
Chibi Magician
Spring '21 Dev Completionist
Chibi Magician Avatar
Pure Gremlin Energy
I still cannot believe I have ran my site for over two years. 0_0 Before I could rarely accomplish this, but now I am happily enjoying a long-term stay on my role-play site. It is fun and I am overzealous that my members have helped me to have this.
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
I wish I could be more helpful on this site. I can't code or make graphics... there isn't any ad's to check or applications to review and right now my brain doesn't want to focus on possible lore for more species... Is it bad I tend to view running a website the same as doing homework? Just got to pick and choose, when I have it I have it, when I don't, I wish I did. x.x
aliasjo, honey
pronounsfeminine
645written posts
offlinecurrently
honey and the forgor land
Part of the Furniture
honey and the forgor land Avatar
fed up with y'all bitches
OH BOY, THE BACKLASH I FEEL COMING FOR THIS ONE:

the more i staff the more i turn into a rockhard bitch. the community is a lot more hard to handle than i hoped (which is funny, since most of us are 18+ and i thought we were adults ... not needing to be babysat?) and it's time to lay down rules to remind people that staff DO NOT HAVE TO RUN A SITE nor do they have to be on all day to tend to your needs. neither are staff anything more or less than human. we deserve respect and we try to make our sites comfortable places for people to come and rp but people time and time again seem to overlook that and gossip and make staff seem like cruel bitches when we ban or cut out toxic people or make changes to the site. maybe try talking to staff to get to know them before you make assumptions about their character. simple logic, right?

if you don't like the site or the way staff run it, you're more than welcome to leave. goodbye, so long. i've noticed it's more stable to rp with a smaller community anyway so most of the people who do leave because they don't know how to act like decent human beings won't be missed.

note: yes i know this sounds mean or wtv but i just like to say things as they are. i'm not gonna sugarcoat this and be all ;3; i wish people would be nice ... because in reality, people aren't. they all want something and if we can't provide it to them they'll bitch and whine and that's fine but a site isn't a paid commodity for most members. you don't contribute anything but your hobby time to it so my goodness it shocks me how frighteningly privileged people have come to be. anyone can have their opinion on this but this was mine and i will close that topic with my own post for myself. if you wanna reply go ahead but i'm just gonna move on since it's something i feel like is commonly thought about but nobody really cares to put it plainly because they are afraid of seeming mean. if you're angry: sis, you're not alone. people bitch, whine, make you bend backwards, and more for not even a 'thanks' or a 'nice staff on this site'! i know. you're doing fine. i just needed to put this up in public somewhere before i pepegunned because rp is a HOBBY it's not meant to be a JOB people criticize you and antagonize you for. jesus h christ.
last edit on Jan 16, 2020 3:35:48 GMT by honey and the forgor land
446written posts
wolfeearned bits
offlinecurrently
wolfe
wolfe Avatar
Lmao let's be real: people will complain about literally anything and there's a decent subset of people who are used to bullying to get their way because most people in RP sites are self-conscious enough to want to avoid being jerks and thus won't defend themselves no matter what. They realized at some point that bulldozing and being super aggressive gets them the results that they want and take that attitude everywhere.

Over the years I've had basically every level of flame at me from people sending me death threats to writing long hate-fueled rants about how they hope I or my family have horrible things happen or whatever because they can't believe that this behavior would ever get them called out or kicked from a site. All the while they will spin the discussion as something that you must apologize to them for, like it's your fault they're the way that they are. It's not your job as a staff to fix people, it's your job as staff to create an environment where people can have fun in a hobby they collectively enjoy.

Staff burnout leads to dead sites. Toxic people driving off core members leads to dead sites. Keeping toxic people on because you feel the need to not be mean kills sites and is honestly probably the biggest cause of staff burnout in my experience. People just eventually get tired of being walked on.

Note that constructive criticism or communication is not flaming and staff can have that victim mentality of anyone who questions them is bullying them or whatever too. On one site I left in the past year there was a rule that basically enforced a word max that I regularly exceeded for certain types of threads, and I honestly felt like the rule was instituted because I tended to post in that type of thread a lot. That's a red line for me, because I legitimately hate word limits both ceiling wise and minimums. I verified with staff that this was the new policy, and informed them that I was leaving and that was the reason.

I didn't kick up a stink, and frankly the site was big enough to where me leaving doesn't matter. Whether it was intended to get me to leave or not is irrelevant -- I really think it was just that staff didn't want to read longer posts in threads they had to read. That's fair, but that also means I'm going to leave because I'm not chopping off words from my posts to satisfy that urge. Me telling staff I'm leaving due to that rule isn't bullying or toxicity, it's me actually deciding I'm not going to ghost because I liked the community and basically leaving the door open to coming back later if it ended up being changed down the line -- like if more vocal people who cared more decided to try and get it changed. Whether it was targeted or not, frankly, didn't matter to me because I don't really care who staffs a site or if they dislike me or not as long as my experience isn't effected by that. Soft push outs are fine in that respect IMO and I prefer that over long hate rants -- so if it was targeted at me they did a good job in making something that would only effect a few people and only cause one person to care enough to drop over it lol. I didn't do this in public, which would have made it spiteful and nasty. I did it in DMs individually with the admins and confirmed that this what what they were going for and basically said that was a deal breaker for me and left at that point.

There was no disrespect or anything, but that's just how it was. When people quit my site for reasons other than time constraints or losing interest, I like to know why because sometimes I legitimately fuck up and cause someone to not have a fun experience like in an event or something because I think something would be cool or assuming PCs would find their way out of something and they just 110% mega fail and the player OOC feels cheated. I also personally like victory lap scenarios where a bunch of weaker mooks come at the end for PCs to basically write their characters being awesome -- but received very negative feedback on it because many felt it was a waste of time and effort that could be spent on other things so I left out the victory laps in future events.

Not everything someone quits a site over is something you need or even should change. If someone is upset they can't play a 3000 year old undead lich on your New York City 2020 Slice of Life site or their cool totally original OC Tiamat the Five Headed Dragon Deity in your Pokemon setting that's their problem for not reading your site. It's also their bad if they decide to come into your light hearted town setting with a concept they decided would turn into the Joker and are amazed that people who are focused on the Tri-State Area Cooking Competition event don't really care or engage with their serial killer and feel left out and overshadowed by cooking. That's their fault because they didn't bother to make a character that fit with the setting or have a concept that meshed with what others wanted to accomplish. But you also get a lot of valid complaints, even if sometimes they're mixed in with salt.

Someone deciding to jump into the lava instead of going around it might be very upset that the lava burned them so heavily they couldn't function or continue adventuring afterwards. Maybe you didn't make the path around the lava obvious enough so the player panicked and assumed the DM would save them if they tried to suicide -- which is a wrong assumption in my case but something that people do when they perceive it to be video game like where consequences don't matter. Then on my end I can make things more obvious and have better prep so people know what to expect from scenarios down the line so it doesn't happen again -- I lost lava jump man as a player, but while I don't feel I did anything wrong I also can make changes that don't change what I'm doing too much and help other players from getting to that level of frustration in the future. This improves my site, and allows people to have fun more... which I consider to be the point of a play by post site.

If you as a staff member are not having fun, especially if you are the admin, that is an existential threat to your site. I, personally, don't like people sending me death threats in chat and will ban anyone who does it first offense. I don't feel as though that's something I need to contest or justify, and have only needed to do it once. The person obviously felt that they were justified and the hero of the situation and raged really hard at everyone who listened, but I'm not putting up with that level of hate towards me or any of my players. If something goes wrong for you IC or OOC there's a right way to complain and there's a wrong way to complain, and if people go well beyond that line I don't see an issue with giving a no warning ban to people so they don't poison your site for a minute longer than necessary. Obviously it's not usually so cut and dry, but frankly some people are just unreasonable and can never be reasoned with or catered to in a way that would make them happy because there is some fundamental disconnect between you and them that is unsolvable and will always be an issue. Every toxic person believes they are the hero of their own story, fighting against corruption and injustice from an autocratic and evil system known as 'Play-By-Post Roleplaying Site Staffers'. That's fine, you can't change that and if someone believes you to be an evil to the level of Darth Vader feel honored that to some people you really are that important, but you also don't need to accommodate that. There are some things you just shouldn't accommodate and your site will suffer for it if you try.

For example, I wholeheartedly believe that National Ice Cream Day is a sacred holiday that nobody should violate by engaging in villainous or otherwise amoral behavior in. If you believe the opposite, we are fundamentally incompatible and I hope you get nothing but vanilla as your options for the rest of your life along with the blandest, flavorless snow cones and complete lack of sprinkles. There are some lines that just aren't meant to be crossed, and that's one of them. If you disagree, you're not only wrong but a category even below that called super wrong.
last edit on Jan 16, 2020 4:04:18 GMT by wolfe
121written posts
Tylerearned bits
offlinecurrently
Tyler
Tyler Avatar
Okay, so this is irking me, but like, I sometimes feel like "why do I even bother writing stuff for my site, it's like no one reads it". Like, lately, it's a certain species on my site that a few people have applied for, but they all are like "X in Y" when, no, that species is not from Y and they have their own homeland, but because it shares a name with a theological concept in the west, a lot of people just seem to go glossy in the eyes.