everyone pls come judge me

pronounsnb
5written posts
j.earned bits
offlinecurrently
j.
j. Avatar
howdy! i'm j. and i'm v new to coding but i want to learn and get better both technically and aesthetically. this is my first template and i'd love to get some feedback on how i could change up the code to make it more neat? the uhh, stuff is linked in the stylesheet thing at the top idk. it's super straightforward for now cause i dont know how to do many fancy things but thats the dream ok pls go easy on me i'll post more stuff here as time goes on and i make more. <3
the template itself is intended for use on dark themes.

okay whoops heres a link cause its for jcink and idk how to proboards: link

screenshot to entice u:

last edit on Sept 19, 2018 21:14:12 GMT by j.
352written posts
vonearned bits
offlinecurrently
von
von Avatar
hi !

This template seriously looks so good! On its overall harmony, the template is a very pleasant sight. Everything is in synergy and nothing stick out badly. That means the way you're hightlighting certain parts (like the lyrics and the image) FITS. Despite the small padding, your usage of gray text was smart because the contrast alone is enough for spacing without sacrificing readability. Your judgements are really good!

You highlighted the image with a lighter border-color and that's a really nice decision. The hover, however, is lacking. Hovers are used to "sate the curiosity" of being drawn into that visual piece. Your cues were nice, but the contents were underwhelming. I would suggest that you use the cursive font on words and have the word count as a sans-serif (or vice versa). Play with your typography & colors on that part. Also try making it more into the middle of the image, rather than the bottom (a nitpick, but i think the current position is also nice).

The minor problem with your current template is that everything blends so well that it doesn't give any artistry for you. I did say that nothing sticked out too badly, but nothing popped out too. The way everything is aligned perfect with each other made it flow
too smoothly. It's a safe template to make for the first time, but I suggest to start crazing up now (while also minding design guidelines- because trust me they help). Make it flare. Add something that would make them go thru pages in their history to find your template! It could be your color, layout, or even your font usage. Small things make big changes. If you really want to improve your aesthetics, go wild for now. Your blending skills will come in handy later when you make skins with matching templates. I swear, it's a nice skill to have, but it will hinder your current objective.

For starters, try to pick atleast one/two part of the template that you want "designed". Either it's on side, top, or bottom. Also play with the flow through paddings, margins, borders, colors, etc. It'll make your future templates more dynamic.

Overall, this is a really nice template to see.

For you coding, it's neat to look at. There are some instances tho that you forget to add px/units. Height auto on #jim is unnecessary, you can omit it. You can achieve a neater code without using positions. Don't try to abuse positions, they could be a bad habit after all as it can be buggy. Especially when they are substituted for tables. ".jim-title .jim-title2" you dont need to call out parent if the child have unique class. It's fine if it's just .jim-title2.
last edit on Sept 20, 2018 17:17:31 GMT by von
3,084written posts
Kitten4uearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kitten4u
Part of the Furniture
Kitten4u Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","infoBG"]
[attr="class","infoBG2"]
[attr="class","infoBack"]
[attr="class","infoTitle"][attr="class","fa fa-star-o"] threadarchived
[attr="class","infoDiv"]

[attr="class","infoBody"]

To keep the forum clean and so people know that all threads in certain areas are current and that the OP is likely to still have interest, we archive threads that haven't gotten posts for 2 weeks. This thread is being archived for that reason. If you would like this thread reopened, contact a staff member.