phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,235written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
at this, the world's end, do we cast off tomorrow~!
[nospaces][Googlefont=Open+Sans][Googlefont=Poiret+One]

[attr="class","ruin"]
[attr="class","bio"]aetherflowan open-world noncanon final fantasy xiv site

[attr="class","miasma"]
Okay so. Full disclaimer that this site idea has been percolating just a wee bit in my head for a while, but with this in mind - a lot of it is still me spinning my wheels since I'm still in the Heavensward expansion for the Main Story Quest and I've been neglecting a lot of the Sidequests, and I'd much rather actually have a chance to get further before I do something like this, but well. I'm kind of in the mood of "if I want this done, I might just have to do it myself" and kind of... accept the losses that would come from this being a smaller site where I'm just not going to be super fussed about the usual rush of "oh no we have to be super active and post as often as possible otherwise we're dying!" I mean... I'm running two other sites fam, I am not the best choice for this venture, but since I'm here, this is how we gotta run things.

[attr="class","summon"]site basics

For a brief summary of what I'm looking to do - I'd be looking to build a noncanon open-world Final Fantasy XIV site hosted on Jcink Premium (sorry folks, the host is non-negotiable, I hate Proboards coding with too much of a passion and imo being able to write mature content is great). It'd be set about a year after the Calamity (so pre-game) in an alternate universe where not only the Warriors of Light perished but also the Scions of the Seventh Dawn as well. This leaves a giant power vacuum in terms of having anyone able to summon primals, which means that as people keep encroaching on beastman territory, the beastmen keep summoning their primals, which has prompted the city-states to start actively encouraging adventurers to start trying to fill that void (and assigning people who would be tied down to a single city-state to help with that too). Thus, we'd be set up in a way that would let members pick up canon positions like the Elder Seedseer or the Sultana but if all you want to do is make some adventurers, that's fine, you can do that too, or y'know, build your own thing out too or even just make some dumb civilians and chill out away from the chaos. You do you man, the world is your oyster.
[break][break]
Faceclaims would not be tracked officially since we'd prefer people using a screenshot from the character creator, but for people who can't do that (or just don't want to), they'd also be able to use original artwork or a claimable face from an animangame styled series as long as it's decent quality artwork (literally I'm not gonna be too picky about it, I just don't want like... stick figure drawings for "oh yeah this is my character" since no thanks I'm good). We'd also be starting out with the current races (and job classes) in the game, but if you want to add something custom, we'd also allow for members to purchase the option from the site store to add to our races and classes for the ever-popular viera or add in some blue mages or Ixali or whathaveyou (within reason ofc - has to make sense to be there in Final Fantasy, so like, I guess no random headless horsemen or cyborg hackers I suppose). While we wouldn't have Ishgard or Shirogane open right away outside of backstory stuff (alongside the Garlean Empire and wherever else), I would also maybe hope to open them up eventually to play in.
[break][break]
Activity-wise, again, it'd be a bit loose. Just because y'know. I'm a busy child with many other responsibilities. So we'd be based more around the idea of letting people come and go as they please, as long as they're posting in the monthly check-in threads, and even then, the only thing that we'd do is mark your account inactive and open up any canon spots if you had them. If you want to disappear for three months and come back, that's possible and all your stuff can be set back in place easily.
[break][break]
Ideally, I'd also like to have a system for levels and combat so that members can engage in some quest threads (both for dungeons and some "event" style things where you're fighting primals in a raid), but right now, I'm stuck at an impasse trying to balance the system in a way that doesn't feel super painful or grindy or just downright repetitive to engage in. And y'know. My bone-deep desire to avoid as much min-maxing and powerplaying as possible just because that's not enjoyable for me to exist around and I'm not wanting to moderate it. Like I said in the sites you wanna see thread, I really do want to have a system that actually gives you some room to differentiate between, say, white mage and black mage beyond written semantics, I just can't think of how yet.

[attr="class","summon"]parting words

If you're down for me basically making the place in spite of my other obligations and keeping the lights on for everyone while they're doing their things, hey, I can and definitely would be willing do that, and some encouragement would do nicely for motivating me to do it (as would some questions and suggestions on what else you'd like to see implemented). Especially since oops this is easily gonna take me a few months to build out even if I'm not coding a full custom skin just because my open sites take priority over any future sites.
[break][break]
I can make a discord server for people if they want to ramble back and forth for ideas with me (just bare in mind that things are super rough so what gets pitched now may or may not actually stick around for the final version, especially in terms of combat and the like) and I can also always toss out some of the systems work and see what people like. On a different front, volunteers for staff are always welcome, especially if you have experience with system-building and would like to take the quest and battling and such off my hands and build it out yourself.
[break][break]
Alternatively, if someone wants to take all of this and run with it for another FFXIV site, I'd be more than happy to hand over what I have since hey I do recognize that I'm not in the best spot to build this all out. I'd even be willing to help staff if it's a solid site and I trusted that it'd stick around just. Y'know. Oops I'm garbage leave me be.
[break][break]
ANYWAY. Toss a like on this post and I'll tag you in any future relevant updates, okay? Okay. Good. I can go crawl into a hole and perish now.

[newclass=.ruin]width: 500px; background-image: url(https://files.jcink.net/uploads/idealworld/Skins/Everybody_Knows/Crosshatch_D.png); background-repeat: repeat; line-height: 150%; border: solid 2px #343436; padding: 10px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.bio]width: 500px; height: 230px; text-align: left; background-color: #282a2b;[/newclass]
[newclass=.bio img]width: 500px; height: 230px; margin-bottom: -210px; -webkit-clip-path: polygon(0 40%, 100% 0, 100% 100%, 0% 100%); clip-path: polygon(0 30%, 100% 0, 100% 100%, 0% 100%); position: relative; z-index: 1;[/newclass]
[newclass=.bio b]display: block; position: relative; z-index: 3; text-align: left; font: 40px 'poiret one'; margin-left: 10px; margin-top: -30px; color: #0E4A82; font-weight: 700;[/newclass]
[newclass=.bio i]display: inline-block; font: 20px 'open sans'; position: relative; z-index: 3; text-align: left; margin-top: 5px; margin-left: 40px; color: #f2f3f4; background-color: #282a2b; border: 1px solid #343436; padding: 2px 4px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.miasma]color: #f2f3f4; background-color: #282a2b; border: 1px solid #343436; border-top-width: 0; padding: 10px; text-align: justify; font: 11pt calibri;[/newclass]
[newclass=.summon]color: #A8BDC4; font: 18px 'open sans'; font-weight: 700; text-transform: uppercase; margin-left: 15px; border-left: 3px #A8BDC4 solid; padding-left: 7px; line-height: 20px; margin: 25px 0px 10px 15px; [/newclass]
last edit on Dec 20, 2018 20:53:34 GMT by Kuroya

4,235written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
i'm just gonna tag everyone who's expressed interest in a ffxiv site over the past year in the sites you want to see (whether through making an actual post or just liking an existing one) so-

@aaron @murdoc

if you don't want to be tagged in future updates, i'm sorry for this one, just don't like the first post in this thread and i won't tag you here again in the future!
last edit on Dec 20, 2018 20:49:00 GMT by Kuroya

4,235written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
wow i wasn't expecting this much interest in this uh-

i'll throw up a few of the systems junk i've been playing with over the next few days for people to give feedback on oops holidays are just busy rn for me (and i'm trying to be spider-man on my new ps4 so yeah)

4,235written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
Okay! Time for an actual update-ish. That I promised before I ended up getting sick oops.

1) I've not really started working on anything super officially since like I implied, this is gonna be a super slow build just because I have a lot of other responsibilities and commitments. Do not expect regular (or consistent) work while I'm at the helm in the building process, just as I highly advise that you don't hardcore bank on this being done within even a couple months or so.

2) has been working on stuff off and on with me before the holidays and then has offered to help out with staffing, so fyi, expect them to be helping out. Sacrifices are always desired to appease the RP Gods. I mean- More volunteers are always appreciated to continue to help out.

And now for the rambling on the site systems I've been batting around. As a note, neither of these options are necessarily settled (honestly I'm a bit leery of them since rn they feel like they're gonna get pretty repetitive to write really quickly) nor are the names 1000% accurate for the overall feels, it's just a quick and dirty "okay what's the difference here" to identify them. I'm trying to build things out with

As always, feedback is highly appreciated. After all, if I'm doing this, I wanna have systems we're all content to live with, and obviously it's better for me not to bang my head against a brick wall.

SYSTEM ONE: WEAPONS-BASED SYSTEMS
Everyone gets one class to start out with at level 10. You learn more classes through either a loot drop or purchasing through the site store via currency you get from posting (or from other drops). You level up through completing dungeons / trials in that class or through smaller "exp bundle" purchases again through the site shop. Level cap is at 90.

Basically the system works in three tiers via questing (aka dungeoning). Each dungeon is guaranteed to be seventh rooms with the seventh being the dungeon boss and the other six rooms being randomized between mobs (most likely), loot, a subboss (least likely), and maybe an option for healing / nothing. All dungeons are guaranteed at least one loot drop. The tiers are basically just what you would expect for the loot you find. Tier 1 is for level 5-30, Tier 2 is for 35-60, and Tier 3 is for 60+. Which you can be higher level than the dungeon's tier, you just can't be lower.

It's a pretty simple system. Improve your attack by getting better weapons. Get better weapons by going through the dungeons. Equip a weapon equal or lower to your current level, exchange excess weapons for extra money or levels. Going up in tiers means you're more likely to get what you're looking for (tier one gives you any weapon level 5-30, tier three gives you a weapon for your current class within 10 levels of your current level). My biggest concern is just 1) extrapolating it out to be meaningful and 2) that the whole system is going to be a lot of repetitive grinding with no real variation on it.

SYSTEM TWO: SKILLS-BASED SYSTEMS
Like the last system, you get one class to start with at level 5 and you'll level up your current class through participating in dungeons or trials with new classes unlocking through either loot rewards or purchase from the site shop. Level cap would probably be at 50 just to make it a lot easier.

Every character would get to introduce one skill for each class when they unlock it. This would be an individualized skill (or have the option to be more individualized) so that there's some difference between everyone who is a given a class. You'd be able to use that skill immediately, but you could also use a "Signature Skill" at level 30 and a "Limit Break Skill" at level 50, both of which are going to be across the class (meaning, for example, all bards might have a limit break of a piercing arrow for extra damage but a signature skill of an extra action debuff across the party). All skills can only be used once per thread, just so they can't be spammed.

My biggest concerns about this system is again, just how it's going to be meaningful and not being too much super repetitive grinding (and how to arrange a system around that) so. Yeah.

SYSTEM THREE: SCREAMING-BASED SYSTEMS
Aka everyone picks their one class at the start, no one gets any more classes, and I end up screaming into the abyss since while there's no levels or system to deal with, there's also probably not going to be combat since I mean. No combat = no dungeons + no trials = no nothing. So. Yeah. Uh. It's an option but tbeh I'm not super excited for it since in a sense, it feels like it's just. Simplifying everything down to the point where classes are kind of "why bother" in the first place so. Yeah. Probably not going to go with this, but it is technically an option.

I'm also not opposed to going in an entirely different fourth pathway for this so. Yeah. Feedback is, again, definitely appreciated, because I am not great at this, not nearly as much as I'd like to be.
last edit on Jan 8, 2019 19:44:44 GMT by Kuroya