1,836written posts
Nekoearned bits
offlinecurrently
Neko
Administrator
Neko Avatar
stressed, depressed, and probably not well-dressed
AkiraTsunami Avatar
rip the image hosts... time to use discord for pic loading.

Discord can and will ban you if they think it's abusive. Other hosts:

postimages.org/
postimg.cc/
flickr.com/
forum host itself (jcink host for example)
imgur (be careful as they are cracking down - and they blocked most jcink sites)

oshi.at/
imgbox.com/ -one I use personally.
boring.host/
imgpile.com/

Tidal Wave
aliasAkira, Tsunami, Tsu, Aki
pronounsAny
4,225written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
offlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
I've got a hurricane in my head, I can't feel a thing, but it's better than dead
hmm. never knew that. well rip. it seems like every few years that image hosts just... yeet. though, i havent had issues with imgur since they changed hands in 2021. current rules is like if you have an account, they won't remove your images. but we will see how long it lasts i guess.

phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,368written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
what do you want to know? my height, hobbies, quirks, the color of my underwear?
i wouldn't use imgur at all - they're actively culling as well, so if you have anything with them (especially old stuff), i'd probably be yoinking it off too

edit: nickpic might be down as of now oh no-
last edit on May 3, 2023 19:54:59 GMT by Kuroya

Tidal Wave
aliasAkira, Tsunami, Tsu, Aki
pronounsAny
4,225written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
offlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
I've got a hurricane in my head, I can't feel a thing, but it's better than dead
Kuroya Avatar
i wouldn't use imgur at all - they're actively culling as well, so if you have anything with them (especially old stuff), i'd probably be yoinking it off too

edit: nickpic might be down as of now oh no-

imgur's is mostly if you don't have an active account with them, so anonymous content, or if its nsfw content. That's the only culling they're doing really. If you actively have an account with them, images are safe for now until they start demanding money for accounts like photobucket did

though tbf i know a lot of people dont use them because of their last active wipe in what... 2015? 2017? where they erased pretty much everything. but they have been bought out by a different company since then and seem to be a little bit more lenient about things now. again until they start charging for service use.

honestly all image hosting is a mess.
last edit on May 3, 2023 22:20:47 GMT by AkiraTsunami

4,368written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
what do you want to know? my height, hobbies, quirks, the color of my underwear?
AkiraTsunami Avatar

imgur's is mostly if you don't have an active account with them, so anonymous content, or if its nsfw content. That's the only culling they're doing really. If you actively have an account with them, images are safe for now until they start demanding money for accounts like photobucket did

though tbf i know a lot of people dont use them because of their last active wipe in what... 2015? 2017? where they erased pretty much everything. but they have been bought out by a different company since then and seem to be a little bit more lenient about things now. again until they start charging for service use.

the reason a lot of rpers stopped using imgur is because there was a good few months' span back in 2015 where imgur actively blocked jcink's entire domain, prompting the major exodus off it and scattering to various image hosts that we still kind of see today. while imgur did obviously undo that block, it actually wasn't because they became more lenient about hotlinking, it was because john actively went in and raised heck with them until they undid it (as he states in the post i linked, actually). but if i remember correctly, their tos still doesn't actually allow hotlinking, so technically, no rpers should be using them at all for image hosting.

honestly, i'm kind of hoping this ends up prompting john to actually release the space upgrade purchases that are currently pending - it'd be nice to just be able to upload all my site graphics to the acp itself, so i never have to worry about them going down unless the entirety of jcink goes down (at which point, i have bigger things to worry about than just my images, lol)
last edit on May 4, 2023 0:53:24 GMT by Kuroya

local boogeyman
aliasbex, jeepers cats
pronounsshe/her or any pronouns
814written posts
bexearned bits
offlinecurrently
bex
Part of the Furniture
bex Avatar
they pull the axe out your face and say "was it the boogeyman?"
Kuroya Avatar
AkiraTsunami Avatar

the reason a lot of rpers stopped using imgur is because there was a good few months' span back in 2015 where imgur actively blocked jcink's entire domain, prompting the first major exodus off of it and scattering off of it. while they did obviously undo that, it actually wasn't because they became more lenient about hotlinking, it was because john actively went in and raised heck with them until they undid it (as he states in the post i linked, actually). but if i remember correctly, their tos still doesn't actually allow hotlinking, so technically, no rpers should be using them at all for image hosting.

honestly, i'm kind of hoping this ends up prompting john to actually release the space upgrade purchases that are currently pending - it'd be nice to just be able to upload all my site graphics to the acp itself, so i never have to worry about them going down unless the entirety of jcink goes down (at which point, i have bigger things to worry about than just my images, lol)

i was considering this too, otherwise you wanna go halfsies on an image hosting service with me? LMAO
4,368written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
bex Avatar
i was considering this too, otherwise you wanna go halfsies on an image hosting service with me? LMAO

lmfao nah i'm good, i wouldn't know the first thing about running an image host, nor would i wanna deal with the messier sides of it.

personally, what i'm doing is adding an option for my site's members to use their site currency to purchase the option to have their main site graphics hosted via the acp - we don't have a ton of graphics (one 250x500 image, one 240x135 image, and up to three 100x100 icons), we have jcink premium so we have almost 2k gbs of space available to offer, and our core member base has stayed pretty consistently small since launch, so this is very feasible for us (i'd just offer it period if staff didn't have to upload the images themselves + i didn't want to upload a bunch of images for a ton of members who don't end up sticking around very long).

outside of that, the only real images i'd need to host are any image randomizers (where i seem to largely at the mercy of randimg, which uses imgur, since i haven't found anything else to use instead) and my resource site images (which are so few that i'm willing to put them on my test site or discord / tumblr). hopefully something new does come out of the ashes of this, but also, by this point, i have so little trust with image hosters that i'd rather just rely on my jcink site to host all the images i'm gonna use on my own jcink site whoops-

local boogeyman
aliasbex, jeepers cats
pronounsshe/her or any pronouns
814written posts
bexearned bits
offlinecurrently
bex
Part of the Furniture
bex Avatar
they pull the axe out your face and say "was it the boogeyman?"
Kuroya Avatar
bex Avatar
lmfao nah i'm good, i wouldn't know the first thing about running an image host, nor would i wanna deal with the messier sides of it.

i was joking LMAO

but i am seriously considering looking into it, bc i'm so tired of this man. i was screwed over before when photobucket tried to nickel and dime us back in the day; and fortunately i never really used imgur, but the same shit with them too. it's so frustrating. damn the man. i lost literally 100,000 images because of something i didn't do.

i promise i'll stop harping on this man i'm very >:I
pronounshe/him
799written posts
illidan mainearned bits
offlinecurrently
illidan main
Part of the Furniture
illidan main Avatar
casually disables guest posting on all forums i run, since supposedly this is a targeted thing towards the RPC

don't think my sites are big enough to get hit, but there have been an uptick in weird RP trolls around forums as of late. it might be worth putting stricter requirements in place to post on your forum.
last edit on May 4, 2023 2:30:01 GMT by illidan main

avatar and hover by phobic art, commissioned for me
write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW