bex
Part of the Furniture
bex Avatar
they pull the axe out your face and say "was it the boogeyman?"
bex Avatar
as a coder.......pls
i'll believe it when sites already doing that get a good reception 
until then we both writers and coders will suffer together <3
(more so the coders who've already put in effort but still get roasted by people who can only talk)

i've been chewing on this comment since last night and i think it's a good example of how the community has changed, not necessarily for the better. no one shares anymore. no one wants to make premades skins bc of just how time consuming they are, even without all the extra stuff that comes with custom/purchased skins these days. so i think a significant part of this is for people to stop...expecting all the bells and whistles all the time. like not every skin needs a custom fancy board mod, or a million extra templates made for the site. but it's all expected now.
praise the cats!
aliasthomas, breezescodes
pronounshe/him
892written posts
bcearned bits
offlinecurrently
bc
Summer '19 Bingo Completionist
bc Avatar
this is my murder mittens ^-^
bex Avatar
i'll believe it when sites already doing that get a good reception 
until then we both writers and coders will suffer together <3
(more so the coders who've already put in effort but still get roasted by people who can only talk)
i've been chewing on this comment since last night and i think it's a good example of how the community has changed, not necessarily for the better. no one shares anymore. no one wants to make premades skins bc of just how time consuming they are, even without all the extra stuff that comes with custom/purchased skins these days. so i think a significant part of this is for people to stop...expecting all the bells and whistles all the time. like not every skin needs a custom fancy board mod, or a million extra templates made for the site. but it's all expected now.

so, what i’ve noticed is that animanga skins have become increasingly visibly complicated, rl site skins haven’t moved quite as far as animanga skins. like sure there can be pretty complicated set dresses, but it’s not on the level of extra of say, multiple board designs that animanga tends towards. however, both rl and animanga have all started working towards more responsive designs, and i think that’s the culprit here. love me responsive design, but it can be a real slog to code. (i have to use brain cells and i dislike using brain cells.)
i’d love to make a pre-made honestly, but it takes fucking forever even when i’m not adding bells and whistles just to code goddamn responsiveness into a skin 😭

also specifically for the animanga community, there’s not a ton of people who actively code skins. i’ve noticed a lot of design trends largely taken from leap who has always incorporated a flair of complex designs. iirc rlly fancy alternate board designs were at least popularised by leap, if not first done by them. leap tends towards these very pretty but complex skins which a lot of coders have taken insp from and has kinda become a staple of the animanga style so to speak
last edit on Jul 29, 2023 3:09:48 GMT by bc
pronounshe, him
561written posts
Sharpearned bits
offlinecurrently
Sharp
Part of the Furniture
Sharp Avatar
The secret is you can just use an old premade or skin something relatively simple and people will join anyway. Life is too short to worry about strangers on the internet judging you because you can't code or afford a coder to customize a skin for you. When I launch sites I spend way more time advertising than I do on code and I never have a problem getting interest.
last edit on Jul 29, 2023 3:46:54 GMT by Sharp
the eldritch truth
pronounsHe/Him
1,102written posts
Phantasmearned bits
offlinecurrently
Phantasm
Part of the Furniture
Phantasm Avatar
for the love of god you haven't posted ic on that character for 5 months just give me the fc

alas i hate engaging in drama, it's only fun to watch, so i'll just find a new one

anyone have any recommendations for finding fcs? i used zerochan but they borked it and now you need to specify a series to sort by popular
last edit on Jul 30, 2023 2:11:43 GMT by Phantasm
write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW