phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,368written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
what do you want to know? my height, hobbies, quirks, the color of my underwear?
Kitten4u Avatar
I'm super late, but if you're not sure where to start then starting with setup, basic tips, or just things that you wish you knew when you were getting started seem like good places to start! I'd personally love to see some basic admin guides, whether it be admining in general or host specific stuff. \o/

i'm..... probably going to slowly start working on breaking down every single part of the admin panel. what each category does, what each option does, and how useful it is. if only because i generally see the biggest complaint of people switching being that the admin panel is confusing and intimidating so i'm hoping that by breaking it down section by section, i'll make it a ton easier to understand.

and then finish the whole thing off by teaching people how to avoid dealing with it entirely whenever possible since there are shortcuts, people just don't always know how to get to them.

Kitten4u Avatar
nova winchester. Avatar

The guide I would like to see the most from both a proboards coder and a jcink coder is an indepth guide on specific ID's that are native to the host. I.E the div class/id's that are already part of the structure that you can technically manipulate but never think of. Like categories and forums and profile id's, search page id's, etc. 

Another example: When I was creating my current skin for Victory, I wanted the avatar's to show in the footer for who is online. I easily got that to work, but I couldn't appropriately get it to hotlink to the players profile until Leap helped me by giving me the needed ID.

$[online_user.href]">$[online_user.avatar_small]{if $[online_user.invisible]}

^^^ THIS crap doesn't come with a handbook that is easy to read and written specifically for a proboard and jcink skinner pov.

Jcink actually does a decent job documenting their stuff (or if you were looking for variables). I wish Proboards documented their advanced features better but they are unfortunately pretty bad about it. :< I was thinking about writing up something for this (both the css and variables), but it'll probably take awhile just because Proboards has so much of it. Documenting some of Proboards' features is definitely on my radar though. \o/ I just have a billion other projects to sort through right now.

yeah no joke jcink really is great about that. literally when i say i can code an entire skin more or less in codepen and pull it out no problem, i'm not exactly joking. you can find like. three to six codepen pages dedicated to each skin in my profile actually lmfao which i hate and should probably take down now since private's a premium feature but. laziness. you can actually code the entire skin in codepen or jsfiddle or a custom tumblr page or even a notepad file and then just copy out the original code and paste it in.

i keep these two links in my bookmarks bar and pull them out when i need them but basically my best friend in the headers + footers + topbars and my best friend for p much anything else get me through without issues. the only missing variable i've ever found across three years of skinning jcink is <% SUBACCOUNTS %> which is used for snagging the subaccount dropdown in the overall wrapper. and then since jcink hands over a lot of the code areas to you to basically rip out and replace entirely with your own, there's not a whole lot of global things you really have to mess with - and what you do, 90% of the time it's just popping into the css to set it to display: none or to rip out the default color styling. the big "these are default classes you use" are, i believe, maintitle, topic-title, wrapper, innerwrapper, copyright, button (and small-button), occasionally the navstrip. which those may or may not be exactly right since ahhhhhhhh i'm not looking directly at the stylesheet and do not care enough to dig them all out one by one.

other than that, jcink coding is really a lot of "okay let's get the default thing to work now let's add the script so it'll hide from guests and test it" or "okay let's just inspect element to see what the hell exactly is going on here or snag 1 class or value". which is something a lot of coders figure out how to do just for troubleshooting anyway.
last edit on Sept 4, 2018 13:12:39 GMT by Kuroya

176written posts
zeroearned bits
offlinecurrently
zero
zero Avatar
kappaccino Avatar
[Adventure Time Spoiler gif] Another gay kiss allowed to be shown on a kid's show. <3 

I remember a few years ago cartoon network said they couldn't even show the fact they'd been in a relationship because some countries the show aired in banned any and all gay content. I'm so glad it's progressed since then. 

pronounsno preference /o/
298written posts
offlinecurrently
k̾u̾r̾a̾ 💩
k̾u̾r̾a̾ 💩 Avatar
perhaps i am faint glimmer —
almost falling asleep in orgo lab
here we go again chem, you old buddy old pal, bane of my existence, fate worse than death, complete trash of a subject
last edit on Sept 4, 2018 15:22:36 GMT by k̾u̾r̾a̾ 💩
176written posts
zeroearned bits
offlinecurrently
zero
zero Avatar
Had a nightmare last night that woke me up at 5am. I can't remember much of the contents. Only a feeling of being trapped and there being something dangerous in my room. I leapt out of bed and stood around feeling fairly confused until I woke up properly.

In other news, Shape of Water is pretty good :3 It was worth renting from Amazon.
pronounsno preference /o/
298written posts
offlinecurrently
k̾u̾r̾a̾ 💩
k̾u̾r̾a̾ 💩 Avatar
perhaps i am faint glimmer —
sometimes my germophobia goes wild and I start thinking about stupid things like how many nasties did my laptop charger pick up when I plugged it into that crusty old outlet. how many nasties does it bring into my bag and my life? are electric currents strong enough to sterilize the prongs? (probably not) should I swab it before and after to see how many bugs electric currents kill? (probably not but catch me trying to anyway)

the best part of this is that my job is growing mountain loads of bacteria. 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year
the endless hunt
aliasleto, blobert, crow
pronounshe / they
1,557written posts
ullaearned bits
offlinecurrently
ulla
Administrator
ulla Avatar
in turning divine, we tangle endlessly
zero Avatar
In other news, Shape of Water is pretty good :3 It was worth renting from Amazon.
the shape of water is SUCH a delight of a movie, i watched it opening week and still listen to its soundtrack on the reg
write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW