write a reply

Post a Random Thought

pronounsthey/she
248written posts
sacredearned bits
offlinecurrently
sacred
sacred Avatar
Do not seek forgiveness, for it will not ease the burden. It weighs as it should.
Miss Melonade ♥ Avatar
I used to write poetry all the time, I even got a poem published once <<;, but stopped writing when I was in high school cause it got beat into me that it's cringey and bad and no one cares about feelings

Then I see all these beautiful poems and writings going around on this site and I'm like ?!?! "You can just... do that?!?! Without getting shit? ? ? ?"
i had a few prose/poetry pieces published a few years ago and i haven't written any in a looooong time because of very similar reasons. a good way to look at poetry is that yeah, most "" normal "" people don't find much interest in poetry but that's ok because you're not writing poetry for them, you're writing poetry a) for yourself and b) for other poets to appreciate. it does take a certain person to care about poetry. usually the kind of person that writes it too lmao

what i've learned about art is that some people won't care about what you're doing or won't understand, and it's no good focusing on those people to determine your art. most artists, especially poets, get shit for their art. if you want to write poetry there is never a wrong time to start. i'd always encourage you to do something you love.
pronounsany
255written posts
UMUearned bits
offlinecurrently
UMU
UMU Avatar
I'm going to change, one step at a time, even if you won't forgive me
flare Avatar
murdoc Avatar
I've never believed in the concept of muse and will never understand it. You write when you write, you don't write when you don't write, don't @ me
if you swap "desire to write" with "muse", you can actually understand it! like "i have no muse desire to write" or "my muse desire to write went away" or "i have muse desire to write for X character but not Y!"

edit. also, if you are not playing zenyatta/mercy you are legit throwing in my rank and i will avoid you tbh.

I mean explained like that makes a lot more sense. I use the word 'muse' not because it's a popular word - although that did encourage me to actually broadcast my use of it - but more so because of what the Greek Muses are. They preside over the arts and science - and for centuries since, artists have used 'muse' to describe their inspiration, their will to create. So to me, using muse is saying 'my will to create, my desire to write, my inspiration to make this story'.

And muse is important to me. I'm a primarily emotion person - I derive enjoyment, emotional closeness and fulfillment from writing. So of course I wouldn't want to write if, when I'm done, I'll feel less then nothing. That's not fun. And I live for the fun in writing - so why would I force myself when I know I won't enjoy it? That's like buying yourself a treat even though you want to throw up. You won't get to appreciate it, so why do it? This is a hobby, not a job. So why force myself to write when I won't enjoy the end result, and every time I come back to it, I just feel ashamed and uncomfortable and just want to leave?

That's what muse means to me. I hope that clarifies a little - or at least makes it a little more relatable.
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
UMU Avatar
flare Avatar
if you swap "desire to write" with "muse", you can actually understand it! like "i have no muse desire to write" or "my muse desire to write went away" or "i have muse desire to write for X character but not Y!"

edit. also, if you are not playing zenyatta/mercy you are legit throwing in my rank and i will avoid you tbh.
I mean explained like that makes a lot more sense. I use the word 'muse' not because it's a popular word - although that did encourage me to actually broadcast my use of it - but more so because of what the Greek Muses are. They preside over the arts and science - and for centuries since, artists have used 'muse' to describe their inspiration, their will to create. So to me, using muse is saying 'my will to create, my desire to write, my inspiration to make this story'.

And muse is important to me. I'm a primarily emotion person - I derive enjoyment, emotional closeness and fulfillment from writing. So of course I wouldn't want to write if, when I'm done, I'll feel less then nothing. That's not fun. And I live for the fun in writing - so why would I force myself when I know I won't enjoy it? That's like buying yourself a treat even though you want to throw up. You won't get to appreciate it, so why do it? This is a hobby, not a job. So why force myself to write when I won't enjoy the end result, and every time I come back to it, I just feel ashamed and uncomfortable and just want to leave?

That's what muse means to me. I hope that clarifies a little - or at least makes it a little more relatable.

The reason I don't like the "muse" thing is because it feels and looks like "blaming" something else?

"Sorry, I didn't write the post 'cos I didn't feel it."

vs

"Sorry, I couldn't write the post 'cos my muse left."

The latter feels like you're... I dunno, like the writing isn't yours so you can't be blamed for not posting? Like no one can be blamed and it's an inevitability of nature. Like it stifles personal growth.

"I can't figure out how to go from here," is an invitation to help out and a clear diagnosis of why you're stuck on writing.

"My muse isn't there right now," is just... what am I supposed to do? Wait for it? Do you want help? "No, my muse is gone." Can I do anyth-- "No. Muse."

Someone who says the problem is between keyboard and chair at least seems open to help, but someone who claims the problem originates from the whims of heavenly forces just seems harder to offer help to.

Kind of like that, for me.

I also find it unrelateable because I do freelance and personal writing and I enjoy doing it. Obviously I don't write when I don't feel it (and for the past few months, I haven't -- redacted), but it just feels strange to me to use "muse" as an explanation instead of just saying I'm tired or not in the mood.
last edit on Jul 10, 2018 16:54:26 GMT by Deleted
pronounsany
255written posts
UMUearned bits
offlinecurrently
UMU
UMU Avatar
I'm going to change, one step at a time, even if you won't forgive me
rhalgr Avatar
UMU Avatar

The reason I don't like the "muse" thing is because it feels and looks like "blaming" something else?

"Sorry, I didn't write the post 'cos I didn't feel it."

vs

"Sorry, I couldn't write the post 'cos my muse left."

The latter feels like you're... I dunno, like the writing isn't yours so you can't be blamed for not posting? Like no one can be blamed and it's an inevitability of nature. Like it stifles personal growth.

"I can't figure out how to go from here," is an invitation to help out and a clear diagnosis of why you're stuck on writing.

"My muse isn't there right now," is just... what am I supposed to do? Wait for it? Do you want help? "No, my muse is gone." Can I do anyth-- "No. Muse."

Someone who says the problem is between keyboard and chair at least seems open to help, but someone who claims the problem originates from the whims of heavenly forces just seems harder to offer help to.

Kind of like that, for me.

I also find it unrelateable because I do freelance and personal writing and I enjoy doing it. Obviously I don't write when I don't feel it (and for the past few months, I haven't -- redacted), but it just feels strange to me to use "muse" as an explanation instead of just saying I'm tired or not in the mood.

That's understandable, not everyone is as mythically or metaphor inclined as I am. I tend to think in patterns and designs, in metaphors and associated word games - so like I said, muse to me is more then just a 'heavenly' thing. on some level, people need to be more upfront, I agree - but that' easier said then done for those with anxiety. you and murdoc seem the type of people that don't have too much anxiety in expressing yourself ( not saying you don't have anxiety, it's more so that you don't need to think in metaphors to avoid crushing yourself in a wave of toxic emotions like I do ) which is probably why it doesn't mean much to you.

personally, I've been berated in various ways for years for showing any type of vulnerability, so I've learned to try and be abstract, so that people can catch on, but explicitly saying it puts a burden on people. they feel responsible and if they can't help - which, oftentimes they just can't since it's not something you can logic or plot away, it's emotional and deep and visceral and you can't just turn on a happy switch when you're depressed - and that brings them down. and in between my guilt complex ( which I'll blame myself for bringing that person down and just bring myself further down ) and my insecurity ( of course I'm not good enough to help, I'm worthless as it is, why can't I be normal? ) and couple that with my anxiety ( is this going to break my friendship? It probably already has I'm too much of a pressure on anyone ) and you've got a literal cocktail of emotional fuckery on my part. if it's inferred, people don't feel the need to help. they just smile and nod and let it go and that avoids the whole issue.

of course, becoming aware of why I use the word in the first, what it means to me, can be steps to try and resolve that gap. also, surprisingly enough considering the north american culture, I feel guilty being selfish, since it basically means I'm disregarding the collective.

also I am wordy today holy carp.
aliascallyx, quinn
pronounsshe/they
20written posts
r o b i nearned bits
offlinecurrently
r o b i n
r o b i n Avatar
i lived, bitch

sometimes I find pleasure in the simple things in life, like throwing a round pillow at my ceiling and catching it on the way down. and then the universe has a funny way of reminding me of my tragic flaw of being prone to mistakes and fumbles once the pillow goes too far and gets hit by the fan blades that then launch it to my window— subsequently breaking the blinds.

in other news, i’m proud of my writing again

0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
Whew, I almost went on another rant!

We should probably have a muse discussion in another thread. I think Flare's admission of insecurities probably as well? I wrote a 3,000 word dissertation on my feelings about anxiety, autism and acknowledgement, but that'd stop being a quick random thought.
write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW