pronounsthey/them
127written posts
vvvaporwavesearned bits
offlinecurrently
vvvaporwaves
vvvaporwaves Avatar
[mitski voice] nobody nobody nobody nobody nobody
elli Avatar
edge is a fine browser, although it still has some odd and very specific bugs. at my last job, it was giving us grief with accessibility support for JAWS and a bit with javascript. but it's certainly an improvement over IE11 now that it's based on chromium, so i'll take it. the sooner internet explorer is wiped from existence, the better.

i can't give up chrome, though, because of the developer tools. no other browser even comes close. i intentionally have 32GB of RAM to feed chrome and adobe apps.

ok everyone's been mentioning it and i'm clueless & i hope you don't mind me asking, but what's the diff between chromes dev tools and say... dev tools of other browsers? i always glance over them and they seem similar to me but i also feel like i've only shallowed scratched their surface of them?
370written posts
elliearned bits
offlinecurrently
elli
elli Avatar
vvvaporwaves Avatar
ok everyone's been mentioning it and i'm clueless & i hope you don't mind me asking, but what's the diff between chromes dev tools and say... dev tools of other browsers? i always glance over them and they seem similar to me but i also feel like i've only shallowed scratched their surface of them?

ah! i'm so glad you asked! there are a few things about chrome's dev tools that firefox hasn't caught up on. one aspect of chrome is its ability to track event listeners on each element, and the ancestors of that element; very handy for javascript debugging. another is chrome's performance tab; it tracks GPU and CPU usage, which is huge to help you identify why your web app is causing fans to spin up (such as if your page is caught in an infinite loop, as was the case at my last job). finally, chrome's local overrides are amazing. you can load in your own CSS or JS file and refresh the page to see that file in action -- firefox doesn't do this (yet), you have to redeploy to your server. i use that one often.

you might notice that most of these things are more helpful for javascript development. so if you're not into that so much, firefox's dev tools are, imo, better for HTML/CSS development. it's come a long way from the old firebug days.
After over 17 years, I've decided to move on from ProBoards. If you need to contact me, find me on my website.
internally screaming
pronounsshe/her
1,823written posts
Nekoearned bits
offlinecurrently
Neko
Administrator
Neko Avatar
stressed, depressed, and probably not well-dressed
von Avatar
Neko Avatar
Chrome has always decided that a RAM leak was better to just ignore. I moved to Brave and it's a chromium browser too but it's got wicked crypto points, the same basis, and it's got a inbrowser ad blocker that's amazing. Honestly though, I have to give Edge some bonus despite it's not supporting some CSS stuff that it's not utter butt.
Edge is quite up to date on CSS though, as far as i can see. I think Chrome, Safari, Edge, Opera and Firefox are the top browsers that are always priority for developers. It's just that, Chrome is too much for the RAM LMAO.

That is true- but for cyber-security, Edge still has some glaring problems. Besides edge having some backlog with CSS3 features (such as the new hip thing, mix-blend-mode) - edge still can send stuff like your IP and location back to nanny Microsoft and such things. Most people in the cyber field still don't like Edge for multiple reasons because of it. It's mainly be being a little paranoid brat about my data, lol.

Chromium browsers (Edge, Chrome, Brave, etc) will always be on the front end, followed by browsers like Firefox and Safari - and I swear Safari is only holding on cause of Mac users. It's interesting to say the least. I don't mean to sound like I hate Edge though. It's a vast improvement over IE - and I'm all for Microsoft doing more to create more up to date things!
pronounsshe/her
404written posts
scyllaearned bits
offlinecurrently
scylla
scylla Avatar
gimmick Avatar
Do you ever get tired of having to emote when talking to people, or am I just a psychopath

I emote too much and then people tell me I’m being too much for them to handle.

I emote too little and people think I’m mad at them.

There’s literally no winning with this one, Gimmick. Honestly.
phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,365written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
onlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
what do you want to know? my height, hobbies, quirks, the color of my underwear?
brain empty, nothing left but atla

(bless val for putting up with me screaming my dumb zukka hcs and even dumber oc hcs at her face whenever i feel them well up like the worst kind of overflowing faucet)

write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW