Trying to change the nav bar separate?

pronounsThey/Them
544written posts
Coyoteearned bits
offlinecurrently
Coyote
Part of the Furniture
Coyote Avatar
IDK how to better word that title....But essentially I'm trying to get the top bar and the Nav menu to stretch over the whole top, while keeping the boards and other stuff intact....

k.nickpic.host/b56YpP.png
BASICALLY THIS is what I'm trying to accomplish...

test-zone.boards.net/
Here's where I'm testing it....I'm basically just trying to edit the banner and nav stuff separate from everything else but anytime I change the width of those pieces the whole forum widens...
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
While I'm not an experienced skin coder by any means, the quickest solution that comes to mind is setting the entire site's width to the width you'd like for the banner and navigation, then manually editing everything else to be smaller.

For example:

If you set the entire site's width to 1000px, then when editing the coding for everything else (boards, info center, etc, etc) put them at a lesser width.

So instead of putting:

.boardtitlebar { width:100%/1000px } you put .boardtitlebar { width:800px; } in the style sheet.

If you don't make your own codes for the different areas of the skin, you can always try playing around with what already exists in the style sheet. I think each section have their own section for width and stuff (or so I assume?).
pronounsThey/Them
544written posts
Coyoteearned bits
offlinecurrently
Coyote
Part of the Furniture
Coyote Avatar
Hmmmm if I may link an example? I'm having trouble describing and wording what I'm talking about ;o;

only-teardrops.proboards.com/
A bit like Alcove's skin here? Like not exactly the same, but I basically want the banner and nav stuff to fit the length of the forum, while leaving the boards more narrow. They'd all be attached the same way since the BG is meant to be involved in the banner....I'm so bad at wording coding and skinning things oh dear...
internally screaming
pronounsshe/her
1,786written posts
Nekoearned bits
offlinecurrently
Neko
Administrator
Neko Avatar
stressed, depressed, and probably not well-dressed
Coyote Avatar
Hmmmm if I may link an example? I'm having trouble describing and wording what I'm talking about ;o;

only-teardrops.proboards.com/
A bit like Alcove's skin here? Like not exactly the same, but I basically want the banner and nav stuff to fit the length of the forum, while leaving the boards more narrow. They'd all be attached the same way since the BG is meant to be involved in the banner....I'm so bad at wording coding and skinning things oh dear...

It's okay!

What's happening on Alcove's skin there - is the whole header is outside of the main wrapper. In both jcink and proboards, they have the #wrapper- which holds the boards and the navtree.

What you want is to move all of that outside the main wrapper and simply just sit it on top of the wrapper. You cannot edit the size of the nav bar to go all the way across inside the main wrapper. From what I'm guessing they simply created the transparent image in the middle (The picture) and put all of that the same size of the forum and just auto-centered it- but the nav bar is going all the way across.

Check out alcove's skin with the right click + inspect for a quick look!

For example, take

<a id="navigation-skip" href="#content" accesskey="s" class="aria-hidden" title="Skip Navigation">Skip Navigation</a>
<a href="#" accesskey="d" title="Open Menu" onclick="proboards.hotkeys.activate(Keys.d); return false;"></a>
<div id="navigation-menu" class="ui-helper-clearfix">
<ul role="navigation">
{foreach $[navigation.menu]}
<li>
<a{if $[navigation.menu.active]} class="state-active"{/if} href="$[navigation.menu.href]"{if $[navigation.menu.accesskey]} accesskey="$[navigation.menu.accesskey]"{/if}>
$[navigation.menu.name]
{if $[navigation.menu.notification.total]}
<div class="tip-holder" onclick="window.location='$[navigation.menu.notification.href]'; return false;">
<div class="tip-number">$[navigation.menu.notification.total]</div>
<span class="tip"></span>
</div>
{/if}
</a>
</li>
{/foreach}
</ul>
<p id="welcome">
{if !$[current_user.is_member]}
Welcome Guest.
{if $[login_link] || $[register_link]}
Please $[login_link]{if $[login_link] && $[register_link]} or {/if}$[register_link].
{/if}
{else}
<span>Welcome $[current_user.name].</span>  $[logout_link]
{/if}
</p>
</div>

and move it above line 14 on the normal default, not sure if you've got something different there though.
last edit on Apr 21, 2019 2:06:58 GMT by Neko
3,084written posts
Kitten4uearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kitten4u
Part of the Furniture
Kitten4u Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","infoBG"]
[attr="class","infoBG2"]
[attr="class","infoBack"]
[attr="class","infoTitle"][attr="class","fa fa-star-o"] threadarchived
[attr="class","infoDiv"]

[attr="class","infoBody"]

To keep the forum clean and so people know that all threads in certain areas are current and that the OP is likely to still have interest, we archive threads that haven't gotten posts for 2 weeks. This thread is being archived for that reason. If you would like this thread reopened, contact a staff member.