aliasLuxu, TenebraeQueene
pronounsShe/They
315written posts
Galeforceearned bits
offlinecurrently
Galeforce
Galeforce Avatar
covered in scars but roses are coming through the cracks
So, against my better judgement I decided to get a feel for anyone interested in this. I legit ran a site once nearly a decade ago only to buckle under anxiety and handing it off to my co admin and fleeing. Lol. Suffice to say, I don't have much skill in running sites. But! That was then, and this is now! And I'm willing to try if people are interested!

Anyways, this is just a bunch of my ideas that I'm still planning out - so this is an interest check AND a planning thread? I guess! xD

This roleplay site is basically what it says on the tin: A pokemon panfandom, where animanga + game characters are thrust into the pokemon world without their powers, skills, immortality, wealth, etc, etc. Their 100% a normal mortal. Because of this their stuck with relying on pokemon to survive in this world. There's no way to regain their powers as long as they exist in this world so they gotta tough it out as a member of society (or criminal). Characters can be basically anything, Trainers, Coordinators, Breeders, Gym Leaders, Champions, any Evil Teams, etc, etc.

This will be an AU of the games universe. Actual pokemon trainer canons will also be playable if people so wish. Normal battles will be freeform based on trust/respect. Gym battles/Contests will probably have some basic rules to make things more fair though. (I dunno yet, I have no clue on how to make any sort of system for this kinda stuff, help/ideas would be appreciated!)

I'm thinking there could be some monetary system simply to buy some things from the site store or something. Maybe for certain items to be usable for your characters? I have no clue on this part though, as I said, I'm horrid at systems/stats/technical stuffs!

As much as I'd LOVE a route based site, I think giving people full access to the region(s) would be best? I'm unsure with this right now, so feedback would be lovely! I know the regions will be CANON regions to save me the headache of making an original one lol. No Fakemon will usable. Legendaries will NOT be able to be caught. Balance and everything. Legendaries are too op!

I don't know if only one, two, or all of the regions should be available, and if so, should they be accessible from the start? I always hear massive boards just leave a lot of empty areas. So any opinions on this would be great!

Site will probably be ... Jcink? I can't really navigate Jcink's Admin CP very well nor know how to set up skins and plugins (Jcink has plugins, right?) either. So I'm leaning towards Proboards... thoughts?

Tl;dr:

Panfandom set in the Pokemon World.
Canons have no powers/abilities whatsoever.
Canons Only roleplay.
Anime/Manga + Game Canons are playable.
Rated PG-13.
Region(s): Undecided.
Forum: Jcink or Proboards? Undecided!
No catchable Legendaries!
No Gijinkas!
Monetary System... possibly.
Freeform battles (unless, Gyms/Contests)
[TBA!]

So yeah, what do y'all think? Interested? Have ideas/suggestions! Please feel free to tell me! :D

last edit on Apr 23, 2019 23:18:39 GMT by Galeforce
phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,245written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
onlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
at this, the world's end, do we cast off tomorrow~!
i'm gonna be entirely honest and say that some of this super interests me (panfandom pokemon yay!) while lots of other parts of it are just... not really up my alley at all. like i can say right now off the bat that i know i would be out if the site is proboards.

as far as some advice goes in terms of the years of experience i've had in this heckhole that is pokemon rp (and my limited panfandom experience) -

1) i'd actually say for you to let people keep at least some semblance of their core powers, skills, wealth/status, etc since tbeh a lot of characters lose a lot of their core identity by losing that stuff, to the point that you're basically more making "pokemon oc inspired by xyz character" than "actually playing xyz character". (like i mean, try to picture deadpool without his regeneration or figure out how to do groot or alphonse elric as concepts - it's messy) and i mean. in my experience, a lot of people actually have basic pokemon rosters for their characters, so just. let them do that.

1a) actually you could probably go all in whole hog and make it so the canons are pokemon shifters because that sounds super cool but i am also dumb and should probably be ignored.

2) i'm personally not a fan of going into the games universe but that's because i just personally am not a fan of rehashing the games. and i think that the regions tend to be too large to really encourage a lot of interaction between characters who live in different areas, which can fragment the site unnecessarily. but ultimately, that's your call since it's more of a preference thing than a legitimate critique.

3) if there's one thing i've learned with pokemon, it's to put in a battle system. you will regret your life not doing it. because otherwise you're going to have to deal with anime protagonist over here with "hahahahaha my pikachu won't faint to your ONIX" and then you have exasperated mod over here screaming about how they have no idea when to make the pokemon faint reasonably. do yourself a favor - basic system. take 2 actions per turn (dodge, attack, heal), limit dodges/counters (like you can only use 1 dodge per post and can only use a damage-reducer thing twice before you have to take a full hit). all pokemon have 10 hp, attacks do 2 damage, +1 for super effective, -1 for not very effective, +1 for mega. done. i throw out levels because i hate dealing with them but i'm just old and tired of grinding forever for levels and of the pain of trying to join a site at level 5 when half of it is at level 50 so. yeah.

4) you will need a money system. no doubt. pokeballs at bare minimum. tms / hms + more pokemon (randomize out of a type or a set list or for a specific one) if you wanna add more.

5) honestly? i'd throw out regions entirely since like i said, it's gonna be really fragmented to do for anything but a very small handful (ie, alola, orre, almia, ransei). i'd recommend going with, idk, a small area with maybe three or four different "towns" with distinct feels (maybe corresponding to general settings for people to match their characters to for member groups like futuristic, medieval/fantasy, steampunk-esque, realistic modern?) and then building out some wild areas around them to flavor it and give you modding areas for wild pokemon. it'd be a lot more compact and give you some flavor without spreading out too thin and making it hard to come up with reasons for characters from different areas to interact.

6) legendaries aren't actually that bad if they're actually catchable by everyone (meaning y'know you can have 5 enteis running around). just make sure there's not mew or arceus since yikes fam let's not have actual god and jesus. but again it's your call, i just wanted to "hey this actually isn't the worst idea ever if it's actually handled well".

7) whatever you do, do not stagger pokemon in releases. people will get so salty if they have no way of getting their charmander or their rowlet or what have you. which actually honestly, that's kind of why i have very little faith in rare lists anyway since i mean, you can say eevees are rare until you're blue in the face, you'll still end up with about 20 of them if you give people half the chance. far easier for everyone to just cut your losses, accept that people are gonna try to get their teams regardless of you, and let them do their thing.

8) jcink isn't actually half as painful as some people like to make out. the acp can be a little overwhelming at first, but it's super easy to distill down (especially if you make the root admin a dummy account and then trim down the available areas in the staff accounts). skins are downloaded via an xml file and then you just upload them back up and make sure that the skin set is all coordinated with the right wrapper + html templates + macros + style sheet. (jcink doesn't have plugins, it has "mods" but tbeh that's only used for rep and money, and while it does have other optional features like user-created groups or awards, they're acp-enabled so you can largely ignore them if you don't want to use them.) i keep meaning to actually make a tutorial for the jcink acp i just. keep not working on it.

............ i just realized i basically swept in here and just more or less "okay but listen, let's do things not-like-that" on a lot of this which i. didn't entirely intend. just. oops i did this now because i've run too many pokemon sites and get too picky on the systems and i low-key stare wistfully at my shelved pokemon project, just let me crawl back into the abyss, i'm sorry.

also even if i do end up out on the site, i'm still up for bouncing systems off of and giving opinions/advice since i would be excited just to see this succeed as a concept even if i'm not part of it oops
last edit on Apr 24, 2019 2:23:41 GMT by Kuroya
aliasantiviral
pronounsHe/Him
220written posts
Beetleearned bits
offlinecurrently
Beetle
Beetle Avatar
I too am super into this idea, but my opinion differs a bit from Kuroya so I'm going to toss my two pennies in, too.

1. I disagree, and personally think that the no powers thing makes sense. And, I actually find it super interesting specifically for cases who over rely on their powers, because y'know it's an interesting dynamic for them to have to learn how to live without them, etc. etc.

1a. However, I do understand Kuroya's point of view. Some people like playing certain characters because of their powers, so... Maybe you could go middle of the road with it. Maybe have characters keep one or two of their powers, or have them unlock their powers over the course of plot progression / purchases because plot reasons or a combination of both.

1b. Alternatively, if it's a case of characters like Matt Murdoch who rely on their powers for XYZ it could be that they still retain limited versions of their power. So, Matt could still have his radar sense. It could be little things like that, since Psychics are canon to Pokemon lore. Another example might be having Katara from ATLA being able to move water around, but not bloodbend or any advanced techniques like that. Juggernaut might be durable, but he can't break through walls, or survive a stab to the heart, etc. etc.

2. I also like the idea of using in-game regions because most forums take the custom region route, and I don't know? Sometimes I just want to explore Kanto.

2a. It could be semi-route based. When I saw the idea of a panfandom pokemon site I actually started tossing around ideas that it could possibly involve the Ultra Space in some way. Have the Ultra Megalopolis be a hub of sorts and then have people be able to acess the other regions from wormholes etc. etc. Since the Ultra Space already involves multiple dimensions and realities it really lends itself to the concept.

So, the semi-route based nature could come about with people gradually unlocking new locations / wormholes through community events and the like.

3 + 4. I agree with there needing to be at least some sort of light system just to avoid cheesing & there's going to need to be some monetary system.

6. If you go with the Ultra Space concept it could make sense to allow for multiple legendaries, but I really don't like the idea of the idea of PCs having legendaries because of how unique they are in the games. But, if you tie it to events make them limited I guess it'd be alright, but then you might end up with people whining about not being able to get a lugia because it was an exclusive to an event that happened before they showed up etc. etc. It's a tricky subject, ultimately.

Anyway, sorry Kuroya, this isn't an attack on you or your post, but it just gave a lot of good jumping off points for ideas, haha. Also, I'm totally down for general help with developing a lplot and stuff for this, because it was something I was loosely considering actually making myself.
internally screaming
pronounsshe/her
1,799written posts
Nekoearned bits
offlinecurrently
Neko
Administrator
Neko Avatar
stressed, depressed, and probably not well-dressed
I think this a pretty cool concept and while I'm not in agreement with Kuroya said - I do agree a lot with Antiviral. I think there's enough for you to mull over now - but one thing I think I would say is go ahead and make it in proboards. If you're more comfortable with it, you don't need to learn a whole new host to do your idea. Do what you feel comfortable and not what other people feel comfortable with. Jcink is different than Proboards and beyond some limited 'plugins', it doesn't have the same capabilities as Proboards with it's keys/super keys.

That being said - I agree a lot with Antiviral here - I've been looking at panfandoms and a lot of them make me lose interest- but this seems like a solid cute idea.
the waking storm
aliasLuxu, TenebraeQueene
pronounsShe/They
315written posts
Galeforceearned bits
offlinecurrently
Galeforce
Galeforce Avatar
covered in scars but roses are coming through the cracks
Thank you for your insight everyone! I'm currently thinking over everything. I don't yet have a proper game plan and I honestly think I'm not cut out for making this site - but I'm gonna figure it out. Even if it takes a few months to establish!
3,084written posts
Kitten4uearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kitten4u
Part of the Furniture
Kitten4u Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","infoBG"]
[attr="class","infoBG2"]
[attr="class","infoBack"]
[attr="class","infoTitle"][attr="class","fa fa-star-o"] threadarchived
[attr="class","infoDiv"]

[attr="class","infoBody"]

To keep the forum clean and so people know that all threads in certain areas are current and that the OP is likely to still have interest, we archive threads that haven't gotten posts for 2 weeks. This thread is being archived for that reason. If you would like this thread reopened, contact a staff member.