aliasjo, honey
pronounsfeminine
645written posts
offlinecurrently
honey and the forgor land
Part of the Furniture
honey and the forgor land Avatar
fed up with y'all bitches
to start: i'm not looking for private 1 x 1 lessons or anything nor am i looking to pay for it but if anyone could make a little tutorial like in the coding tutorials section of pixel-perfect i'd really appreciate it since i've looked up other tutorials but they seem to be more 'lmao copy the code from this site and fix it to your needs' and such. nothing too hard, just looking for how to build a general table for coding in html.
3,084written posts
Kitten4uearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kitten4u
Part of the Furniture
Kitten4u Avatar
There are times to use tables, but if you're just looking to arrange some boxes I'd recommend using flexbox instead. That covers the basics of what you can do pretty well, and if you want to practice, there's this.

If you are looking to learn tables specifically, I think Code Academy has a pretty good tutorial on it, though with their new layout I can't find a way to link to it directly.
aliasjo, honey
pronounsfeminine
645written posts
offlinecurrently
honey and the forgor land
Part of the Furniture
fed up with y'all bitches
i'll try these two sources out tbh i've never come across them bc i'm the big dumb. always found some link to some tumblr tutorial which didn't make sense.

i'm just looking for a way to set up tables in general? i'm familiar with how to just make a simple format: no hovers or anything, just a lot of <div id>'s and such. when it comes to tables i just blank because idk where to begin.
3,084written posts
Kitten4uearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kitten4u
Part of the Furniture
Kitten4u Avatar
i'll try these two sources out tbh i've never come across them bc i'm the big dumb. always found some link to some tumblr tutorial which didn't make sense.

i'm just looking for a way to set up tables in general? i'm familiar with how to just make a simple format: no hovers or anything, just a lot of <div id>'s and such. when it comes to tables i just blank because idk where to begin.

The Code Academy tutorial would be good then I think just because it starts from the beginning. You'll probably find the start really basic, but it'll build up on that.

For design itself, that's a bit harder to teach. Look at templates and skins that you like and try to emulate some of the things that you think are cool about them. Not straight copy, just look at how they organize their text, where they put images, just things you think are generally shiny.

If it's about how to put the various features of the template you want to be there in place, just think of designing for web as organizing a bunch of boxes. Sometimes you can do things to make them appear less box-like, but in the end they're still boxes being pushed around places. If you use Chrome, you can right click on something, then select element, and that'll pull up the code used to make what you're looking at. Again, don't use it to steal code, just look at how they did things. It's a great way to learn new CSS properties and give you an idea of how people are doing things.

As an example, I made a simple template that doesn't look particularly box-like, but it really is just an arrangement of boxes. There's one box around the whole template (so I can define the width and center it), a box on the top (for the top part of the ribbon), a box on the bottom (for the left side ribbon and text area), then a box where I put the left side ribbon (where the ribbon is actually coded), the box for the text area, then inside the text area there's a box for the avatar (it is inside the text area, I just use negative margins to make it look like it's outside), and then each piece of the ribbon is a box with border and positioning shenanigans to get it where I want (each ribbon has 5 pieces to make it work). So once you get used to just putting some boxes in places, then you can start doing weird things to make it look less like boxes in boxes.