Dark Skins Versus Light Skins

pronounsShe
626written posts
Gingerearned bits
offlinecurrently
Ginger
Part of the Furniture
Ginger Avatar
I couldn't really find a Forum Design Discussion board, or I missed it. cough.

I thought I'll make this poll and see what the results ended up being.

[Somebody in the past told me they couldn't stand Dark skins, that they prefer Light skins for lighter atmosphere. Me personally I love dark-skins, light skins distract me. [plus energy saving yeah]

--It could be simply genre preference, like how they loved romance happy genres and me I love bleak dark genres. It could also relate to "when" you roleplay, like light in the room could harm your eyes based on the skin-color. Just variation.. Anyway vote above and answer my curiosity.]

Tlr;; What do you prefer? Why?
last edit on Jun 13, 2019 20:43:12 GMT by Ginger
phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,234written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
at this, the world's end, do we cast off tomorrow~!
this is old news by now because i've said it more than a few times in the rp confessions thread but.

i am a huge fan of light skins. this is in part because it's the only thing i can consistently skin well with color coordination and such (which may be related to the next two points), in part because my brightness settings are usually set to the minimum possible on my phone or when i'm unplugged on my laptop (so there's a lot of dark skins that i then just cannot see without upping my brightness), and in part because of my graphics card (since it apparently just does not like dark skins since when i'm on my brother's laptop, i tend to actually prefer darker skins since his graphics card makes the light skins too bright).

tbeh i think about half of it is personal preference and half of it is software constraints. i know i personally try to skin so that we have both a dark and a light version available (or at least something with a dark background but a lighter wrapper so it's less light-on-light), but not all coders do it (and i personally struggle sometimes because it's a pain to coordinate dark colors for me) so. yeah.
last edit on Jun 13, 2019 21:17:49 GMT by Kuroya

pronounsshe/her
265written posts
endlessearned bits
offlinecurrently
endless
endless Avatar
If you can't do good better do bad well.

I prefer something in between.

This is largely because my eyes are borderline useless at this point. If it's too dark I won't be able to see the difference in the 3 blacks you use and it's not because of my monitor. Like my eyes seriously cannot pick up the difference anymore. I've seen sites where I straight up couldn't tell what parts of a skin even were because I just.... couldn't see.

On the flip side I have light colored eyes and to try and compensate for the poor eye sight and inability to perceive detail my monitors are usually pretty bright.... so that white/barely offwhite skin will probably blind me.

Happy mediums and colors that are not on the black to white scale are super awesome because they usually take these issues away completely.
last edit on Jun 13, 2019 22:13:25 GMT by endless
aliasjo, honey
pronounsfeminine
645written posts
offlinecurrently
honey and the forgor land
Part of the Furniture
honey and the forgor land Avatar
fed up with y'all bitches
Light skins all the way just because I feel like it's easier to code for light themes than darker ones but that's just a me thing since I find white to be more aesthetic than black when it comes to skins.
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
No crazy reasoning why I prefer dark themes I guess, I suffer from pretty bad migraines and migraine/headache clusters. So the white or anything close to white just hits the wrong spots for my pain, often sets them off sometimes as well. My sites have always been black with dark grey and light grey text. 

I also seem to have some issues reading the text on glaring white sites, either my migraines or dyslexia.. one of the two I guess.  
932written posts
gimmickearned bits
offlinecurrently
gimmick
Part of the Furniture
gimmick Avatar
All birds and men are sure to die but songs may live forever
“Dark” and “light”, to me, is too generalized. If it’s dark skin and the type is light enough without being blinding, great. If it’s a light skin and the type is dark enough, great. While I’ve definitely come across light skins where I still couldn’t see anything because it was light on light, in my experience light skins are generally less prone to the not-enough-contrast issue. Or if they are, it’s more localized to headlines like board names and such instead of, y’know, everything.

Now serif vs sans serif? Sans serif all the way for body text. Text already skews toward the smaller end on most sites and my vision’s too shot to keep squinting for anything that makes it even harder to read.

Edit: When people say they prefer dark skins because they’re more active at night...do they not have lights in their room? I’m genuinely curious, because I never use my computer while just sitting in the dark. If I’m scrolling on my phone in bed, yeah the light might be off, but by that point I’m not going on sites anyway, and mobile PB makes everything light.
last edit on Jan 2, 2020 18:08:27 GMT by gimmick
50written posts
willowearned bits
offlinecurrently
willow
willow Avatar
As a programmer and someone who stares at a computer all day, I heavily prefer dark. I need my eyes to rest by the time I get home, and light skins just really push the limits for me. I'm cool with in between skins, but high contract skins make my eyes bleed. If a site has cyan or hot pink for one of its main colors, I'm peacing.
stultifera navis
aliasnines
pronounsshe/her
534written posts
ninelieearned bits
offlinecurrently
ninelie
Part of the Furniture
ninelie Avatar
VOLITION [Medium: Success]
willow Avatar
If a site has cyan or hot pink for one of its main colors, I'm peacing.
I feel called out 😭
stultifera navis
aliasnines
pronounsshe/her
534written posts
ninelieearned bits
offlinecurrently
ninelie
Part of the Furniture
ninelie Avatar
VOLITION [Medium: Success]
willow Avatar