A Worm Roleplay

1written post
Pookaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Pooka
Pooka Avatar
Hello everybody! Iโ€™ve always loved superheroes and superpowers and one of my all time favorite settings (which to my knowledge has never seen light of day within the roleplay community) is Worm. Worm is about a young woman named Taylor Hebert trying to be a hero within a twisted world (openly advertised spoiler: it doesnโ€™t work out that way). I recommend to anybody that loves a good superhero book and has time to spare to go read it. This may have some spoilers if you care about world-building and all that but if you donโ€™t have the spare time to read almost two million words then allow me to break up the setting into little bites!!

How do powers work?: Powers are granted via trigger events by inter-dimensional sentient space worms, called Entities, that want us to duke it out. Yup, you read that right- SPACEEEEE WORMS. These space worms shed off things inter-dimensional supercomputers called shards which have primary objectives issued by these Entities but since the Entities are uncreative they give these shards with handicaps out to creative species, such as humans, and allow them to find creative uses for them. Thus, superpowers!

Trigger events which grant shards/superpowers happen whenever a person reaches a breaking point through trauma and stress and itโ€™s just really really pooey. Trigger events are personal and differ from person to person but itโ€™s not just a one time โ€˜bad dayโ€™, no, they are usually a culmination of bad events that can take place over days, weeks or months.

Say if you get held at gun point and then trigger. That doesnโ€™t seem too likely/impactful to give a power but if this happened:

โ€œYou were constantly bullied at school at school and you decided one day to fight back against your tormentor. It didnโ€™t turn out so well and now youโ€™re held at gunpoint from a vicious bully trying to send a message. You see movement from the corner of your eye and see...people! You look at them with pleading eyes and you make eye contact but you can see the expression of fear flicker across their face before....they leave and call the police. No, no, no! The police wonโ€™t make it in time and-

Trigger.โ€

Certain feelings and situations can give different powers. Shards want to help their host from their trigger event but shards are alien and uncreative. They will not grasp the situation entirely thus some powers can be painfully ironic. In Worm our protagonist is trapped in a locker of biowaste and insects and she feels isolated, trapped, and scared thus she triggers with the power to control insects. Powers have ratings to them and these are the 'aspects' in which a power manifests. Say, if you have the power to manifest portals you would have a 'Mover' rating since these portals give the person superhuman movement. These are some of the emotions/responses that can give certain powers, but notice there is some crossover:

Mover, powers that deal with deal with enhancing mobility. Manifests from situation in which the hosts wants to escape or flee.

Shaker, powers that deal with a wide area of range. Manifests from ambient danger, environmental danger, or danger that is only abstractly human.

Brute, enhanced strength or durability. Manifests from experiencing physical harm or pain.

Blaster, ranged damage. Manifests from a threat that approaches from a distance, or a threat that happens in great number.

Breaker, shifts into a different state. Manifests from abstract physical danger or harm and difficult to define pain or stress. Ngl, hardest classification out there but I got a few scenarios that can warrant a breaker rating if you wanna hear one.

Master, controls minions or others. Manifests from isolation, alienation, or exile. You know just being lonely in general.

Tinker, create futuristic devices. Manifests from a difficult problem that has been plaguing them for a long time.

Thinker, has supernatural information gathering. Manifests from emotional or mental strain within a short period of time.

Striker, touch based powers. Manifests an immediate in your face problem.

Changer, can alter a person's form or appearance. Manifests from body image issues or a crisis in your self-image vs society's expectations.

Trump, can manipulate powers in some capacity. This one is rare as it involves another trigger such as a Mover or Breaker trigger but deals with another's power in some capacity.

Stranger, power related to stealth and sneaky stuff. Attention from a group/individuals that threatens security.

I really haven't gone over everything concerning powers such as group triggering (triggers involving multiple people) and second triggering (boost in the power under initial trigger sceneario) but this section has stretched on QUITTEEEEE a bit. But I love dealing with powers since I'm weird like that so feel more than free to ask general questions about the powers or how they work or if a certain power you have in mind will work!!!

What is the plot?: I'm debating on the initial city but I'm either going with some fictional big city, or perhaps New York. This story begins ten-twenty years after powers start to manifest with the first case of triggering ending in a tragedy with the S-class threat Mockingjay still roaming freely till this day. People are a jumble of nerves as the notion around parahumans, those with powers, is in the negative. The president of the United States has issued a formation of a government sponsored group to be located within multiple city: The Parahuman Response Team, or PRT. The PRT opens a multitude of programs such as: the Protectorate dealing with grown parahuman adults, the Wards dealing with underage parahumans, and Watchdog a group of thinkers dealing with information gathering. Villains are continually growing as the world descends into chaos. What side will you take? Will you desperately try to protect the innocent or will you make your path in the world as a victor and risk being branded as a villain?

----

Okay! I think that's enough for a information spam since this is already going over 1000 but the plot is sorta ehhhhh it's susceptible to change but I think it's decent as it is. Iโ€™m wanting to get everybodyโ€™s opinion on the setting, how the power works, and if the plot is bland or could use some further spicing up from my short ass description but Iโ€™m drawing blanks with it.

Iโ€™m also wanting opinions on whether I should implement a XP system that could balance out power issues. You would get a certain amount of points to spend on how your power functions such as: โ€œshieldโ€, โ€œstrikeโ€, โ€œzoneโ€, โ€œauraโ€, โ€œpressureโ€. You can combine these effects to produce a unique power effect for example: Strike/Aura/Pressure: Once you touch somebody they start to give off an aura that adores everybody to their presence. I have a more detailed system review if people recommend I go that way in favor of balancing powers out more.

One last thing I want peopleโ€™s opinion on: should the staff team make the powers? The powers within worm verse have their own unique flair and I would like to keep the site continuing that same flair. But would having the staff make the powers whilst the applicants provide the trigger event be really that off putting? If they want a stranger power or blaster power they will most likely get that but just not in the way they see fit which adds some element of surprise. Idk, this is the main thing I wanted to get peopleโ€™s opinion on too, well that and the EXP system.

I think this has gone on long enough though but Iโ€™ll be more than happy to answer questions or supply my thoughts or anything in between! Donโ€™t be afraid to ask anything and thank you all for providing feedback and reading through this mess.
3,084written posts
Kitten4uearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kitten4u
Part of the Furniture
Kitten4u Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","infoBG"]
[attr="class","infoBG2"]
[attr="class","infoBack"]
[attr="class","infoTitle"][attr="class","fa fa-star-o"] threadarchived
[attr="class","infoDiv"]

[attr="class","infoBody"]

To keep the forum clean and so people know that all threads in certain areas are current and that the OP is likely to still have interest, we archive threads that haven't gotten posts for 2 weeks. This thread is being archived for that reason. If you would like this thread reopened, contact a staff member.