the eldritch truth
pronounsHe/Him
1,101written posts
Phantasmearned bits
offlinecurrently
Phantasm
Part of the Furniture
Phantasm Avatar
How many staff members do you have compared to a rough estimate of your "active" members?

What do you think a good ratio is? 1:25? 1:100? Or do you think such a metric is useless and that a certain number can handle everything regardless of scale? Let me know how you feel about it!
pronounsshe/her
427written posts
offlinecurrently
cyanide darktearz 💀
cyanide darktearz 💀 Avatar
I think currently Senet's staff to member ratio is somewhere close to 1:9?

Personally, I don't think there is a good/ideal ratio because it is highly, highly dependent on the staff and the type of site it is. Some sites do just fine with only a few staff members compared to a much larger member base while other sites can have a similar amount of active members but require more staff.

For example, a sandbox small-town rp and a stats-heavy action rp might both have the same number of active members but the workload of a stats-heavy site might be higher and thus require more staff.

Goodness though, I would feel bad for the person but highly impressed if a site ran successfully with only 1 admin for 100 active members. I'd go crazy from stress at trying to manage those numbers by myself.
phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,235written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
at this, the world's end, do we cast off tomorrow~!
i think that there is no perfect ratio since availability is always going to vary between players and sites have different demands.

for example, if your site is a regular slice of life city with no powers or v mild powers... you could honestly get by with just one or two staff members, maybe three if you need an extra hand to help process apps during heavy periods or during busy rl periods. by contrast, i would wince at a pokemon site where there's less than four or five staff when there's wild pokemon that need rolling or any other mechanics that need heavy care or maintenance (ie, mmo sites with adjusting levels).

there's also examples where like... i personally have a lot of free time on my hands, so i can handle the "workload" of two or three average staffers, so to speak. (which doesn't mean that i like doing it, mind you, just that i can handle it if push comes to shove.) but obviously i wouldn't expect someone who has a demanding rl schedule to keep up with my level of activity and involvement because that would be insane.

the big thing for me is that like. i like staff teams of at least two to three (since then it's not just one person making all the decisions) and i dislike staff teams that are much more than six or seven (since by that point i start suspecting that several people aren't pulling their weight). but that doesn't mean that staff teams outside of those ratios are bad and inside them are good. a site team of three can still be overwhelmed if someone is largely inactive. a site team of seven might be necessary to keep a big site with a lot of maintenance running if the staffers are reasonably busy. what matters is that the staff balance works out so no one's feeling overworked and the site is running smoothly.
last edit on Oct 18, 2019 0:44:04 GMT by Kuroya

446written posts
wolfeearned bits
offlinecurrently
wolfe
wolfe Avatar
1:10 active staff to active member ratio has been the golden number for me in the past.

Active being the key term, and for non-progression system sites it may be 1:15 or 1:20. For sites with no progression system and also not running site wide events frequently it may jump to 1:25 or 1:30. The amount of work that goes into making sure applications are up to snuff in terms of rules, running events and scenarios, distributing XP per thread, and general support though is something that I'd ideally want 1:10 active staff to active members.

People with more tend to count inactive staff as staff, which to me is pointless. Why would you have 15 staff members when 13 of them did nothing staff related in the past 6 months? I see it on a bunch of sites and it just blows my mind. Why would you give someone authority/power and then zero responsibilities? The power is unnecessary, then, and staff is used more like a social status symbol than an actual role with responsibilities if that makes sense. The logic seems to be that if you put all your 'core members' in staff roles it secures their place in the community even if they do nothing with those roles ever.

Staffers with a lot of time and know the system can do better, and staff with the opposite of that can do worse. I know someone who essentially solo staffed a site with that jumped from roughly 30 to roughly 70 active members during their six month stint as a solo staffer in a very stat/progression system site with constant events and that was nuts. They both had a lot of time and had a lot of skill in dealing with stuff and the discipline to never procrastinate even with their vast reserves of time. That is not the norm and most people, including myself, wouldn't even try to do something like that because it's silly and means that if the one staffer burns out from the massive amount of work then the site simply dies.

On my site I have one active staff member to fifteen active members -- alongside maybe five other members who I don't consider 'active' in the sense to where I rarely have to do staff related work to their characters because their posting speed is less than once a week so thread completion is infrequent. I could lie and say that I am a superstar staffer who does 1:20, but that's a misrepresentation because I get help from members volunteering to take on basic roles like calculating XP for threads or helping me do prep work for events so I don't have to solo run everything anymore. With the most tedious and thus most draining and the most time consuming and thus easiest to procrastinate work being split among people with zero staffing responsibilities but a desire to assist in basic tasks, it helps a decent chunk even if the metric is still 1:15 active staff to active members.

That being said, it's impossible to provide feedback on what might be right for you if there's no indication of how much work needs to be distributed per member. Grading applications on a full freeform site may take 30 seconds, whereas doing it on a stat-heavy site and if you're doing line by line reviews might take 30 minutes if there are a lot of errors and multiple revisions on the part of the player. If the former is all you expect out of accepting apps, then one person can deal with 100 apps quickly and easily by copy/pasting acceptance messages and then moving member groups. In the latter, 10 apps would represent an enormous amount of effort and would hopefully be split among multiple people.
last edit on Oct 19, 2019 20:19:30 GMT by wolfe
Stardust in me
aliasEm, Dragon
pronounsShe/Her/Hers
772written posts
rabbitearsearned bits
onlinecurrently
rabbitears
Part of the Furniture
rabbitears Avatar
We're motivated by the stars that we're made of
Oh it depends so much. Sometimes 1:25 works. Sometimes you needs a much closest ration like 1:10 or even 1:5. Our staff is so busy that we have four staff members on a relatively small site just so we can keep up with RL and with staffing and with RP.
540written posts
Sharpearned bits
offlinecurrently
Sharp
Part of the Furniture
Sharp Avatar
I like big fonts and I cannot lie
Some of my staff are just an extra set of eyes in the discord. If I exclude them i've got about a 1:6, but I am not sure if a ratio is a useful metric on this for reasons people already stated.
last edit on Jun 10, 2020 19:19:14 GMT by Sharp
pronounsshe / her
398written posts
Ven ☆earned bits
offlinecurrently
Ven ☆
Summer '19 Bingo Completionist
Ven ☆ Avatar
got a secret, can you keep it?
one of the places I’m on only has two Staffers, but that’s only because they can handle such a rowdy crowd like us so well.

(it’s Pokémon, however they get things done real fast unless iRL comes up like end of exams week or something)