Is it possible to do a skin selection on [PB] for guests?

pronounsShe
626written posts
Gingerearned bits
offlinecurrently
Ginger
Part of the Furniture
Ginger Avatar
I think there is.. Buuut I've never been able to succeed in it.. And I am making this new forum, and wanted to set it up where It... Rotates as a guest goes through the pages. OOOR Guest can Pick the one they prefer.  Example: Guest likes Dark skins versus Light skins.

Anyway I am 100% nobody will reply to this, but thought I'd be lazy and post this here. I'll probably end up researching or just Letting guests know there's multiple skins.
932written posts
gimmickearned bits
offlinecurrently
gimmick
Part of the Furniture
gimmick Avatar
All birds and men are sure to die but songs may live forever
I don't have an answer, but speaking as a user, I would not want the skin to change randomly when going between pages. That sounds disorienting, even more so if there are significant layout differences between said skins.

Being able to manually toggle between skins as a guest would be a great feature though
last edit on Jan 28, 2020 18:36:45 GMT by gimmick
370written posts
elliearned bits
offlinecurrently
elli
elli Avatar
It is not. Theme selection is a member setting (stored on the server) and since guests aren't members, there's no way to store their preference. At least no way that ProBoards gives us.

There is a Yootil-based plugin that adds a theme selection dropdown on all pages, but again, this is only available to members.

I'd recommend this little script that I made. It makes a dark mode possible by utilizing the existing stylesheet.

You could also use the prefers-color-scheme media query for CSS. This is cool because if a user has dark mode enabled on their browser, the stylesheet will automatically switch to the dark styles. No script needed!
last edit on Jan 28, 2020 22:18:45 GMT by elli
After over 17 years, I've decided to move on from ProBoards. If you need to contact me, find me on my website.
3,084written posts
Kitten4uearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kitten4u
Part of the Furniture
Kitten4u Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","infoBG"]
[attr="class","infoBG2"]
[attr="class","infoBack"]
[attr="class","infoTitle"][attr="class","fa fa-star-o"] threadarchived
[attr="class","infoDiv"]

[attr="class","infoBody"]

To keep the forum clean and so people know that all threads in certain areas are current and that the OP is likely to still have interest, we archive threads that haven't gotten posts for 2 weeks. This thread is being archived for that reason. If you would like this thread reopened, contact a staff member.