Music player help

932written posts
gimmickearned bits
offlinecurrently
gimmick
Part of the Furniture
gimmick Avatar
All birds and men are sure to die but songs may live forever
I've been messing around with trying to get the [music][/music] to work. I do have the plugin and its css installed, the audio I'm linking works on this site, but on mine the file isn't being recognized for some reason. Result being that it's stuck in a perpetual loading state with 00:00-00:00 for the timestamp.

Like so:

If anyone has any advice, I would be very grateful 🙇🏻‍♀️
last edit on Feb 17, 2020 21:54:01 GMT by gimmick
932written posts
gimmickearned bits
offlinecurrently
gimmick
Part of the Furniture
gimmick Avatar
It's using this plugin, which I'm testing here.

Here's a template where it works, which I added an unedited copy of to aforementioned test post so you can see how it's perpetually loading.

last edit on Feb 18, 2020 1:50:48 GMT by gimmick
370written posts
elliearned bits
offlinecurrently
elli
elli Avatar
The most immediate thing I see is that the URL you're using is a 404:

drive.google.com/open?id=1enHhTQjHb37Z6ENOYCPxYadqSx1oJIqT.mp3

Whereas  is using this URL in that template:

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/hp5uluhdws0wqng/%E6%9D%B1%E6%96%B9%20%5BPiano%5D%20Faint%20Dream%20-%20Inanimate%20Dream%20%E3%80%8E3%E3%80%8F%20-%20Copy.mp3?dl=0

We can see that this URL is good. Try replacing your .mp3 with that URL and if it works, you'll know where your issue is.

If you're still having trouble, let me know and we can look at the next step.
last edit on Feb 18, 2020 3:10:55 GMT by elli
After over 17 years, I've decided to move on from ProBoards. If you need to contact me, find me on my website.
370written posts
elliearned bits
offlinecurrently
elli
elli Avatar
Ok, so next step would be to try disabling all plugins except for the Style Tag plugin, which is needed to load your posting templates.

You'll need to leave them disabled for a minute so that I can check the console, if that's ok.
After over 17 years, I've decided to move on from ProBoards. If you need to contact me, find me on my website.
370written posts
elliearned bits
offlinecurrently
elli
elli Avatar
The good news is that this doesn't seem to be anything you're doing wrong. I believe that the plugin is trying to use the audio before it can be found on the page. The script has finished running by the time the .mp3 actually loads, so the "canplay" event never fires, thus the infinitely-spinning loading icon.

I believe it's working here on Pixel Perfect because there are significantly more resources (scripts, styles, images) being loaded than on your test site; by loading these other resources first, the audio has additional time to load before the plugin runs.

To test that theory, I installed this plugin on three test sites: one that is a (mostly) default ProBoards forum, a second that has a few more resources to load, and a third with many more resources. On the first site, I only ever saw the loading icon -- just like on your test site. On the second site, the audio loaded sometimes (telling me that sometimes the plugin ran first). On the third site, the audio loaded every time.

My husband is a much more advanced JavaScript developer than myself, so I'll ask him if he agrees with my findings later today (he likes these problems). Unfortunately, if this is the case, it means that there's nothing you can do because the problem is in the MusicJS plugin itself. However, this would be a good learning opportunity for me, so I might consider writing a new one with similar functionality.

You're welcome to enable your plugins again! I can recreate this separately now.
last edit on Feb 18, 2020 20:22:12 GMT by elli
932written posts
gimmickearned bits
offlinecurrently
gimmick
Part of the Furniture
gimmick Avatar
Ahh that makes sense. If you do ever end up working on another version, I would definitely love to see it 😄

Not explicitly related to the music plugin anymore, but are you by any chance able to see why this ptabs plugin doesn't work anymore on my test site? It was fine until the first time I installed the music one (I think), though it's still refusing to work even when I turn that one off. Only tabs and styles are on at the moment.

Here's a template using it, and this is how it's supposed to be

Resolved
last edit on Feb 21, 2020 16:52:14 GMT by gimmick
3,084written posts
Kitten4uearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kitten4u
Part of the Furniture
Kitten4u Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","infoBG"]
[attr="class","infoBG2"]
[attr="class","infoBack"]
[attr="class","infoTitle"][attr="class","fa fa-star-o"] threadarchived
[attr="class","infoDiv"]

[attr="class","infoBody"]

To keep the forum clean and so people know that all threads in certain areas are current and that the OP is likely to still have interest, we archive threads that haven't gotten posts for 2 weeks. This thread is being archived for that reason. If you would like this thread reopened, contact a staff member.