fruits basket 2!

pronounsshe/her
138written posts
✿ honeybee ✿earned bits
offlinecurrently
✿ honeybee ✿
✿ honeybee ✿ Avatar
two trucks

I want to say right off the bat that I have no experience with creating and managing sites, but it's something I've thought about for a while! I have a good amount of free time now I still have a class but besides that so I'd like to try! With that in mind, please be patient with me ;; 

I had joined a Fruits Basket site a while back that involved both the Chinese and Western zodiac and I was so hyped but like most sites, it kinda died away. It's a concept I wanted to pick and stitch together and hopefully put out there one day! What I had put together at the moment is more Fruits Basket inspired as opposed to a straight Fruits Basket site, but hopefully it'll be fun and have the same charm the series has nonetheless! Here's what I got so far!:

✿ I had thought of putting it in a fictional location because I couldn't really think of a good reason for one family to leave their country besides escaping exposure. Plus, I like the idea of creating a location that plays into their respective Zodiac story- like how the Chinese Zodiac had their race to the heavenly gate/dinner depending on how you know it. The only problem is that the Western Zodiac isn't really together in their myths and constellation placements? I had thought of something along the lines of having the location's origin story being that it was sacred and under the protection of the Western Zodiac (the skies) and the Chinese Zodiac (the earth)

✿ The addition of Ophiuchus or Cetus to act as a Western version of the Cat. I'm kinda leaning towards Ophiuchus because it's well-known and it sounds cooler than Cetus. And in all honesty, I didn't even know about Cetus until I started doing research so yeah oops ;;

✿ I think it would be pretty nice to have more than one Onigiri position, if only because I feel like more people would be involved in the story that way? Although I don't really have a solid story put together just yet but you know! Each Zodiac gets one person outside of their immediate family they can tell, but only one. Should something happen and the secret is revealed, the person's memories- and those of whoever else found out- would be erased and the Zodiac who told them would be forbidden from telling anyone else. Plus whatever punishment their respective 'God' will deal out. I wanna give them a cute title because everything needs one! Maybe 'Omamori' for the Chinese Zodiac and... something else for the Western Zodiac... I'm not very clever ;;

✿ And now the part that I've been most worried about: the story. I'm going to spare you from reading my terrible writing and give it to you straight up. The location would've been considered a sacred place during it's creation, so a group of holy warriors- the Zodiacs- were sent by the gods to protect and watch over it: the Western Zodiac, from the stars, and the Chinese Zodiac, from the earth. Each zodiac would have their assigned time to act as the leader of their respective group- Westerns trading off every other month while their counterparts traded after a year. The land would know nothing but peace but it was during that era of tranquility that their guardians would become lazy and vain, eventually fighting against the other group as they each claimed to be doing the most work/being more powerful/all that arrogant jazz. The gods would grow tired of their fighting and, after a devastating attack to the sacred lands, would curse them. If they were going to act like animals, then they would live like them as well.

✿ Jumping to the present day, The rivalry between the two families would still be very much there. The townspeople don't really know why they hate the other. Even some members within the family don't know, but it was something they were born into thinking since the very start. The cursed individuals would know about the other's curse. It's something they blame on the other group. I imagine the curse isn't something that would lift until everyone- and I do mean everyone- who is cursed releases that hate and finally resolves their age old argument. 

Sooo yeah, that's what I had so far! Sorry for the huge wall of text, I'm just really excited to share my idea! It's been a while ;; I'd really love to hear some suggestions or comments about anything here! And if not, then that's okay too! Thank you so much for reading!! ♡♡♡
last edit on Apr 2, 2020 23:28:08 GMT by ✿ honeybee ✿

0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
Hey <3

✿ First of all, let me say that I would love to help you create and manage a site, since I have a lot of free-time currently. But, also, seeing as I govern or help moderate three sites right now, I can't say how active I would really be, or how much I can really offer with fleshing out your story and helping you design something interesting. I am not very good at coding, but I know my way around Proboards pretty well if that the host you're looking to use. I could probably help with basic mod tasks at first or helping getting the site set up, but I don't want to spread myself too thin and can't promise that I will join but let me tell you... this is pretty tempting.

✿ Back in the day, I had something slightly similar to this idea. OC Zodiac, and another OC family, cursed by the elements of the world(fire, earth, air, water, fire, metal, etc.). Both were of Japanese descent and lived in present-day Tokyo or Kaibara (which is where the anime/manga canon Fruits Basket is set). In this world, like your idea, I had an Onigiri, but also had what I called the "Tarot" who was the equivalent to the Onigiri for the elemental family. There was also another outsider implemented who I dubbed the "Conspirator", who knew about the curse of both families, but were never discovered to have found out and kept it secret from everyone. It was pretty successful -- I only failed in advertising it accurately and not having enough time for it.

✿ I think your site would be just as unique! I love your desire of having an alternate universe instead of an actual Fruits Basket setting. The world should definitely be of your making, but I suggest that maybe it could borrow from original small towns and games like Harvest Moon and Stardew Valley for inspiration and locations. Maybe even a coastal place or island, with a sprinkle of asian influence? That way, you don't have to necessarily worry about nationality or ethnicity when it comes to the curse -- just that there are two families who inhabit these curses. If you find the creation of an original, fictional town too difficult, you could always pick a small town in China or Japan and go from there, since the series is based in Japan, and the myths derive from China originally. Personally, I have just always thought it would be interesting to see a furuba-based site set in America, but that is just me.

✿ As for the origin, I think what you have is good. You could even go so far as to say that these spirits were 'gods' in another life-time -- much like deities in Greek and Roman myth, with one to rule them all. Maybe one group resided upon Earth (the Chinese Zodiac), and one resided in the Afterlife or the Heavens(the Western Zodiac). That would create for a neat backstory, and people could even tie into this when describing characters.

✿ Obviously, I love the idea of having an Ophicuhus for obvious reasons cough cough, but I also like the myth that corresponds with it, and the meaning behind it. The connotation and legend of Ophicuhus is not much different from the Cat, and both share lives of misfortune and discord. Plus, you bring up the good point that Ophicuhus sounds cooler than Cetus, and tbh, it just resonates more with the phonaesthetics of the other Western zodiac (Aries, Sagittarius, etc.).

✿ I love your backstory and I take back what I said about the spirits formerly being gods. I am much more enamored with the idea of the former zodiacs being guardians. Keep that. It's golden.

✿ In all, this is a marvelous, well-thought out idea and, if my two cent count, I think you should totally go for it! It's original, with Fruits Basket elements thrown in. It's just what everyone needs right now, and I hope it becomes a reality.

✿ Feel free to contact me if you need any help!~
last edit on Apr 3, 2020 1:51:02 GMT by Deleted
pronounsshe/her
138written posts
✿ honeybee ✿earned bits
offlinecurrently
✿ honeybee ✿
✿ honeybee ✿ Avatar
two trucks
Oh wait, I know you!! Hi @dreams ! <33 I'm sorry about the late reply, I wanted to get some more thinking done before responding!

✿ Thank you so much for the offer! And no yeah I totally get it, three sites is a lot and no one would want you running yourself tired. I really appreciate it and even if you aren't able to do much, any little bit helps! Plus, it's the thought that counts! ^^ I had been thinking about Proboards since I'm barely getting back into Jcink and tbh, I have more experience with the former. We won't make any promises but if this does get off the ground, then there'll always be a spot for you there! 

✿ Omg okay I actually really love the whole "Tarot" thing! I hadn't even thought about adding an actual Onigiri on top of those who already knew! I might add that in for more Fruits Basket energy... I hope you don't mind, but would it be okay if I did my own version of that? Lowkey wanna give one of the groups a card themed label just so that if I do add an outsider/onigiri, they can be referred to as the 'Joker'. I'm blaming P5R. Your site sounded super cool and I'm sorry that it didn't pull through in the end :<

✿ Oooh I love the thought of mixing in a Harvest Moon element! Having it be a sort of sleepy, smaller town whose main attraction is their history and shrines. I really like the idea of it being almost isolated from everything else? Like having the ocean to one side, the town in the center, then fertile land on the outside before hitting a foresty, mountain area? That's probably a lot though but a melting pot of different cultures it will be, hopefully! I wouldn't be opposed to setting it in a real location but because I'm so paranoid, I'd be scared about getting the details right ;; You're right though, Furuba in the States would be interesting! I honestly think the most difficult part of it is picking a name... Maybe something with Horizon since that's where the earth and sky meet, or Valley because that's peak Harvest Moon vibes to me. 

✿ Aaah thank you so much!! I'm so happy that the story isn't a total mess!! Also I'm mixing in the next point into this point because I'm scared of making a giant text wall ;; You're so right about Ophiuchus! I think I'll stick to them! I might just make Ophiuchus and the Cat have been the start of the og guardians fight so that they get that ~Furuba~ treatment; an extra monstrous form, the isolation, all that good stuff!

✿ Your two cents definitely count and I appreciate them very much!! Thank you so much for all your help, and I really hope that it becomes a reality too! I'll be sure definitely ask if I need any help!! Which I totally will but I won't bother you unless I really really need help! I'm gonna stew on some of the extra bits and start writing! Thank you so much again!! ♡
last edit on Apr 5, 2020 0:56:42 GMT by ✿ honeybee ✿

pronounsshe/her
138written posts
✿ honeybee ✿earned bits
offlinecurrently
✿ honeybee ✿
✿ honeybee ✿ Avatar
two trucks
Update!::

I've been kinda in the pits lately so writing stuff out has been slow. On the upside, coding is actually pretty fun! Granted I haven't done much of it straight from my head brain but baby steps, you know? :> I'm playing with codes on a tester site and so far so good!

✿ I was working on this for a bit because mechanics-- if you can even call this mechanics, since rules might fit better but oh well!-- isn't really within my comfort zone but I came up with some loose technical bits for the cursed.

• Like in the source material, the cursed members will transform into their zodiac animal if they're hugged by someone of the opposite sex or if they experience hella stress. For the former, I'm planning on tweaking it a bit so that it's more open in terms of gender identity. Cursed members won't transform if they are hugged by other cursed members of their family, but will transform if they hug a member of their rival cursed group regardless their gender.
  • Transformations will last for three posts from the moment it happens. The third time the cursed member replies to the thread, they'll transform back into their human state. Sticking again to the source material, they transform back naked but covered by a colored cloud.
  • Cursed members attract the animals of their Zodiac; The Cat attracts cats and so on. Because some of the animals might be a bit too exotic to be seen in such an isolated little town, I was thinking about toning some down a bit. Like while Leo would attract lions, the attraction would also work the same towards cats. Communication between the cursed and the animals of their zodiac can vary between limited to holding full conversations, it just depends on the character and how often they chat with the critters!
  • Continuing on the last point, whether animals appear in a thread can be completely up to the people involved in the thread. If they can't decide or for whatever reason they might have, they can also roll a dice. Depending on what the results of the dice roll are, the number of animals that appear can be as few as a handful to a whole hoard! I just might make the number that appears be dependent on a dice roll, but we'll see!
  • Ophiuchus will have an equivalent of the Cat's Juzu Beads, if not just have the same thing. Should they lose or break their beads, transformation into their monster form will last 5 posts.

✿ I probably won't get more technical past what's above. I had thought about adding a farming system for those who wanted to play it more towards the Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons side but if anything, I'll just use the systems from those games to make it easier for everyone.

Aaand that's it for now! Typing this out kinda gave me a bit of motivation, but quarantine has made it real sad boy hours 24/7 and it's the pits :^) Still, I wanna try to get this site up even if no one wants it! So yeah, suffer I guess :v If you're reading this and made it this far, thank you and stay safe! And even if you aren't reading, please stay safe too! ♡♡♡