Warrior Cats meets DND

pronounsThey/Them
544written posts
Coyoteearned bits
offlinecurrently
Coyote
Part of the Furniture
Coyote Avatar
So I posted this up in the QICs to see what was thought of it, figured I'd post an official thread to gauge interest and ideas!

The site is going to be called Leoris, as that's also what the world they live in is going to be called.
- The site is functionally based off of the Warrior Cats series, there will be several things it shares with the books and the lore of them, but I'm designing it so that you don't need to have read the books to understand the site.
- Replacing the "clans" will be four kingdoms, will villages and towns and castles, the whole shebang. The heiarchy will still be pretty similar to the books: Leader(King), Deputy(Advisor), Medicine Cat(Court Mage), Warriors, Apprentices(Squires?), and so on. I'm probably going to add in some special roles for messengers as well to relay information between kingdoms, as well as a citizen type role to cats that reside in the kingdom but don't fight and fill in civilian jobs. Functionally the higher ranks will be the same though.
- Starclan still exists, but rather than being backseat drivers they're more or less the source of the magic in the lands, they still guide medicine cats and the kingdoms with prophecies and signs, but they're also the reason cats are born with magic at all.
- I'm still kind of unsure if I want to have Kingdom cats still use the naming conventions with the prefixsuffix name style, rogues and cats outside of the kingdoms wont have to adhere to it regardless. I'd love input on this!
- DND style classes: Bards, fighters, monks, barbarians, wizards, etc., you wont HAVE to put your character into a class since they can just be a normal civilian, but they'll be there for spice!
- Kingdoms will each control a territory, but it's less a 'cross the border you die' and more just a 'cross the border and respect our rules' kind of situation, there is a shaky peace but always room for drama and political strife depending on the leaders and their goals.
- I'm still kind of sussing out what I want the overall plot to be besides the kingdoms and their shaky truce, but there will be periodic smaller plots like famines, diseases, harsh winters, etc.
- Cats will function in a zootopia-esque sort of way, mostly quadrupedal but they can comfortably be on their hind legs as well to work and get around. They'll be able to use complex and advanced tools as well as wear armor and clothing, very much a semi-anthropomorphic world.
- Will be very relaxed, no activity checks or word counts, the only activity requirements will be some light ones for higher ranks(leaders, deputies, medicine cats), which will probably be one post a month for that character? IDK, I don't want this place to feel like a chore.

As always I am 100% open to ideas and things people might like to see in this setting! I'm still very much in the planning stages, so things can change and be tweaked!
4written posts
cowbellearned bits
offlinecurrently
cowbell
cowbell Avatar
Hi there!

So, to be honest, I'm a chronic lurker here at Pixel Perfect, but seeing this interest check motivated me to actually join so I could give input. Thanks for the unintentional push! That aside, I really like this idea. I have a truckload of Warriors nostalgia (including for Warriors RP), and am an avid fan of DND-style fantasy, so this convergence of the two is totally my jam.

Okay, feedback and questions! No pressure on any of this, of course, I'm mostly just curious.

- I'm liking the thoughts you've laid out so far. StarClan having a more active role in the magical aspect of the world would be cool. Would this impact the frequency/scale of magical occurrences (outside of cats being born with magic) compared to the original books, do you think? Magical disasters or beneficial things, for instance?

- As far as the prefix-suffix name style goes, I guess it partly depends on how closely you want to tie the site to the Warriors series. Using the original naming style might make the connection more obvious, but I don't think it matters all that much from a functional standpoint. You could always adapt the convention a little to fit the setting, maybe by making it more of a title system? For example, when a cat attains Warrior status or any other noteworthy rank, they could get awarded a title like "of prefix-suffix" added to their name (not that everyone would call them that, it could just be an official honor for their work, maybe). And maybe Apprentices/Squires could officially have "of the Paw" or some-such attached to their name to distinguish them from regular citizens? All just suggestions, feel free to use or ignore them as you like.

- I know the setting is DND-based, but are you thinking of having a stat system in place? Just wondering.

I think that's all I have for the moment. If there's anything I've missed that you particularly wanted input on, let me know! Thanks for sharing your idea!
pronounsThey/Them
544written posts
Coyoteearned bits
offlinecurrently
Coyote
Part of the Furniture
Coyote Avatar
HEY! Glad to be the push! I have answers to these questions!

1.) Definitely, aside from the average magic(like elemental and other more basic magic), Starclan will probably also "bless" devout believers, and likewise punish those who don't. I have an entire Kingdom who's whole thing is being non-believers, I haven't entirely figured out the kinds of blessings and curses I'd like, or what sorts of magical disasters I want to have present. BUT. Starclan is definitely going to be a much more present force in the world, and probably a lot less detached when cats need guidance.

2.) Oh man I actually ADORE this idea? It would make it so that people with non-warriors could just have normal names, I'm liking the idea of names like:
"Name of the Suffix" for warriors
"Name of the Paw" For Squires/apprentices
"King Name of the Star" for Leaders
Something like that, civilians wouldn't need these special titles, but ranks within the higher circle of the leaders would have them! NICE IDEA THANK YOU!

3.) I'm not decided yet if I want to fudge with stats, if I DO they're going to be really simple as I'm not a fan of super complex stats and systems. I know for sure I want to employ DND style spell slots for magic, IE maybe you get three slots per thread, then you have cantrips that can be used freely? But other than THAT I don't know how much I'm gonna focus on stats, since I'd like this to be mostly story based more-so than a stats based site!

I've got ideas for three of the four Kingdoms, most of which will have all the higher ranks open, two are going to have the leader roles Pre-filled for the sake of having things semi rolling when we open, but otherwise all roles will be open starting out!

I'm definitely happy to hear whatever other thoughts you might have! Thanks so much for the input!
pronounsThey/Them
544written posts
Coyoteearned bits
offlinecurrently
Coyote
Part of the Furniture
Coyote Avatar
That's okay! It's honestly just nice to know my wild ass idea isn't completely dumb hehe, still chipping away on all the information!

- It's gonna be hosted on Jcink, I just really like the features Jcink has(sub accounts are drool worthy)
- Mixed face claims? IDK, I'm going to allow photos and drawn art or aesthetic images and written descriptions.
- I'm using a pre-made skin because I don't have any coding experience, especially not with Jcink, I'd like to buy a skin commission or pre-made at some point but I can't right this second.
3,084written posts
Kitten4uearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kitten4u
Part of the Furniture
Kitten4u Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","infoBG"]
[attr="class","infoBG2"]
[attr="class","infoBack"]
[attr="class","infoTitle"][attr="class","fa fa-star-o"] threadarchived
[attr="class","infoDiv"]

[attr="class","infoBody"]

To keep the forum clean and so people know that all threads in certain areas are current and that the OP is likely to still have interest, we archive threads that haven't gotten posts for 2 weeks. This thread is being archived for that reason. If you would like this thread reopened, contact a staff member.