forumfilters mods

pronounsshe/her
309written posts
syhrinxearned bits
offlinecurrently
syhrinx
Spring '21 Dev Completionist
syhrinx Avatar
hello! it looks like there was some support for a new advertising-specific tumblr blog. i am very weak for validation.  i just registered the url forumfilters and would like some help to work on it! 

(i think this goes in staff search. i dont know. it's not technically for an rp?)

here's my general idea for how it will work:

• the filtered forum advertisement list will look very similar if not identical to tutorialists' list page. the "by x on y" will be replaced with links to wanted boards, rules, canons, etc (whatever the submitting person wants, to a max of like, 5 links?). there will be no images for any entry (because imagine if you had like even 20 forums and each one had an image or two. or even a gif. god the loading times would probably be horrendous). the blockquote will have a blurb if they want (probably like... max 100 words.) i dont know what the icon in the corner might be so we could probably just get rid of it? or use it to mark sites that are jcink premium because i know a lot of ppl care about that

• filters! platform (proboards, jcink, idontknowtheotherhosts, etc), word count (no word count, 100 or less, 101+, 300+, 500+, 1000+), genre (pokemon, panfandom, city, modern, harry potter, horses, harvest moon, small town, spirits, original, etc), canon/original characters ( canons + originals, canons only, originals only), face claims (real life, animanga, mixed, none), how long the board's been online (new, 3 months, 1 year, 2+ years), age requirement (none, 18+), rating (pg-13, t, mature/18+), and more?!??! maybe even rpg rating (1/1/1, 2/2/2, 3/3/3)?

• we would have to decide how to categorize the Full List for when we are adding things to the directory. i'm imagining by platform and then alphabetical? or we could just go balls to the wall and do alphabetical only, which might make more sense 

• a minimalist affiliate section like (or identical to) the one currently on tutorialist's main index. filtered by genre only i think. we can use the same theme for tutoralists because (not to toot my own horn so much im sorry i just put a lot of work into it and im just proud of it!!!!!!!) i think it's rather suitable!

• the actual tumblr blog will have user-submitted ads most likely. this is where people would be able to submit their very pretty and cool image advertisements and things. definitely less structured than the actual list. the same tags used as the filters. it's like all the other advertisement blogs out there. wanted ads allowed. runs on a queue. posts will be tagged with the common advertisement tags "jcink rp" "proboards rp" "forum rp" in addition to the filters because sometimes it's just nice to go /tagged/jcink. i dont know what other tags are commonly used so some research would have to be done

• we could check for activity every, oh, two/three months? i don't want to check every forum every month unless it's divided up between at least like. three+ people depending on if this gets pretty big. in which case yes fine

the blog is a sideblog, so we should be able to run it through our own personals or, you know, what-have-you. i also intend to make a base account for it so that we can send asks from like, forumfilters-mod, or something like that. 

i do not want to have anything to do with the actual tumblr blog side of things, or at least i want to do very little of it. i don't care for posting the queues or wading through ad submissions or whatever. i like my list a lot. and i like the affiliates. so i would be more than happy to do a majority of the submission/sorting work there.

just let me know if you're interested in helping out. even like... one or two people would be sweet! either reply or PM me?! i can set up a discord server and we can start talking about it/coordinating. also feedback would be really nice.
last edit on May 23, 2020 17:45:30 GMT by syhrinx
forumfilters mods written May 23, 2020 16:01:58 GMT via mobile
phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,235written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
at this, the world's end, do we cast off tomorrow~!
i'd be super interested in helping out with this and like...... real talk i would have negative problems largely just handling the actual tumblr submissions side of things (because i've dealt with tumblr a lot over the years so i know i'd be super comfortable with that) and i would also be down to help out with getting the directory part properly set up and maintained too!

540written posts
Sharpearned bits
offlinecurrently
Sharp
Part of the Furniture
Sharp Avatar
I like big fonts and I cannot lie
Once this goes live I will start directing animangads traffic to it and stop accepting new affiliates (sending them to you instead). I think that should help to kickstart it. I would recommend having several staff, it can be tedious to maintain alone. One thing I saw on tutorial lists is that you aren’t requiring other sites to put up the button on their own. You should require it on the new blog to seed sources of traffic.
last edit on May 23, 2020 16:39:08 GMT by Sharp
pronounsshe/her
309written posts
syhrinxearned bits
offlinecurrently
syhrinx
Spring '21 Dev Completionist
syhrinx Avatar
Sharp Avatar
Once this goes live I will start directing animangads traffic to it and stop accepting new affiliates (sending them to you instead). I think that should help to kickstart it. I would recommend having several staff, it can be tedious to maintain alone. One thing I saw on tutorial lists is that you aren’t requiring other sites to put up the button on their own. You should require it on the new blog to seed sources of traffic.

wow, thanks so much! i have long admired animangads and have used it frequently to check out new sites so to have your support is really neat.

and yes... thank you! multiple staff will be super helpful. and i think we will definitely require affiliates to match! spreading the word in as many places as possible will be really nice for getting more traffic.

maybe we should require our button to be on their site if they are on our directory? as a user i am generally not a fan of those types of rules, but i do understand how it would foster visibility... :0 or maybe it should just be for the affiliates part...
540written posts
Sharpearned bits
offlinecurrently
Sharp
Part of the Furniture
Sharp Avatar
syhrinx Avatar
Sharp Avatar
wow, thanks so much! i have long admired animangads and have used it frequently to check out new sites so to have your support is really neat.

and yes... thank you! multiple staff will be super helpful. and i think we will definitely require affiliates to match! spreading the word in as many places as possible will be really nice for getting more traffic.

maybe we should require our button to be on their site if they are on our directory? as a user i am generally not a fan of those types of rules, but i do understand how it would foster visibility... :0 or maybe it should just be for the affiliates part...

<3 thank you

Mmm. Personally I wouldn't go that far, it can be a turn off and making it as easy as possible to advertise there should probably be a big goal. With affiliates though it is already an expected behavior, so just requiring that they reciprocate the button shouldn't be controversial and will help spread the word. With the setup you have on tutorialists I am sure most people that understand the value of what you have put together will jump to affiliate anyways.
last edit on May 23, 2020 19:28:40 GMT by Sharp
4,235written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
Sharp Avatar
syhrinx Avatar

<3 thank you

Mmm. Personally I wouldn't go that far, it can be a turn off and making it as easy as possible to advertise there should probably be a big goal. With affiliates though it is already an expected behavior, so just requiring that they reciprocate the button shouldn't be controversial and will help spread the word. With the setup you have on tutorialists I am sure most people that understand the value of what you have put together will jump to affiliate anyways.

given that i've offered to take over the tumblr side of things, honestly, i don't think it would be a huge detriment to just. "you can submit advertisements to the tumblr regardless of other factors but in order to list in the sortable directory, you need to have our affiliate banner in place on your site somewhere." since like. imo the directory is mostly gonna be a searchable thing but the tumblr does a direct stream of site ads / want ads / etc directly into your eyeballs (a lot like animangads does right now actually) so i'd imagine that you'd be getting heavier traffic off the tumblr submissions (vs more specific traffic off the directory).

540written posts
Sharpearned bits
offlinecurrently
Sharp
Part of the Furniture
Sharp Avatar
Kuroya Avatar
Sharp Avatar
<3 thank you

given that i've offered to take over the tumblr side of things, honestly, i don't think it would be a huge detriment to just. "you can submit advertisements to the tumblr regardless of other factors but in order to list in the sortable directory, you need to have our affiliate banner in place on your site somewhere." since like. imo the directory is mostly gonna be a searchable thing but the tumblr does a direct stream of site ads / want ads / etc directly into your eyeballs (a lot like animangads does right now actually) so i'd imagine that you'd be getting heavier traffic off the tumblr submissions (vs more specific traffic off the directory).

Ahh okay yea for some reason I was thinking the directory would be populated through tagging the tumblr submissions. In that case yea requiring a button would be good.
4,235written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
Sharp Avatar
Ahh okay yea for some reason I was thinking the directory would be populated through tagging the tumblr submissions. In that case yea requiring a button would be good.

honestly, that just..... sounds way too messy / complicated to deal with, so nahhhhh, we're not doing that that way.

essentially we're doing it where i'm handling the actual tumblr advertising part of things (which basically functions.... largely like every other tumblr ad blog where you submit site ads + want ads + staff searches for us to queue and stream directly into everyone's face at the speed of light) and then we also have the filterable site directory you can submit your site to and get listed there, and syhrinx is gonna mostly handle that (and imo both of us are gonna pop over to the other part and handle maintenance things as we need to along with any additional hands we might be able to pick up to help out).

the tumblr advertising part? there are rules but basically just things like. "hey please use the tags so people can know what your site is" and "hey don't use the dohtml / ubbc coding because it doesn't work" or "hey don't spam your submissions and drown everyone out" or "hey don't submit your site ad if newbies can't cold join the site". y'know. common sense stuff.

the sortable directory part? that's where you need to fill out a little form (just so we know what filter categories to put you in) and have our affiliate banner somewhere on your site (just as a linkback for us to help get the word out for us). but it's definitely not required that you participate in that if you don't want to do that / list there, and you're still free to use the tumblr advertising part anyway.
last edit on May 24, 2020 0:33:31 GMT by Kuroya

3,084written posts
Kitten4uearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kitten4u
Part of the Furniture
Kitten4u Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","infoBG"]
[attr="class","infoBG2"]
[attr="class","infoBack"]
[attr="class","infoTitle"][attr="class","fa fa-star-o"] threadarchived
[attr="class","infoDiv"]

[attr="class","infoBody"]

To keep the forum clean and so people know that all threads in certain areas are current and that the OP is likely to still have interest, we archive threads that haven't gotten posts for 2 weeks. This thread is being archived for that reason. If you would like this thread reopened, contact a staff member.